Customer Discussions > Back to Black forum

Poor sound quality?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2007 1:45:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2007 1:49:15 PM PST
C. Lopez says:
I recently purchased this cd (Back to Black) and agree with the reviews - its a superb work. Ive said that about only a handful of albums in the last few years, and I truly mean it. The only downside to me is the forced vocal distortion present in the recording (especially in 'Rehab', 'Back to Black', and 'Tears Dry On Their Own'). I realize digital artifacts and filters were used during production to make the recording seem 'vintage,' but its quite annoying through a high-end stereo system. Ive invested alot of money into my audio setups, and I cringe whenever I hear a poorly engineered cd (for those not so tech-savy, distortion basically ruins your speakers). The whole situation is tragic. An internet search found other users complaining about this issue. Be forewarned audiophiles! I sincerely hope Universal issues an 'uncolored' and remastered version of this album soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2007 7:18:25 PM PST
you should be listening to the album on vinyl! Sounds great....no distortion....truly audiophile.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 8:09:48 AM PST
RAD Man says:
C. Lopez, I should have read your comment before I ordered this CD. You are correct, the sound quality is horrible. It makes you wonder what type of equipment the recording engineers were using for playback, possibly a Bose Wave Radio?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2008 11:13:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2008 11:14:50 AM PST
G. Thompson says:
How right you are. The sound quality of this CD is first class crap. This is ipod only material.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2008 11:22:29 AM PDT
M. Dynarski says:
At first I thought I had a defective CD! The sound quality is horrible, crackly and thick, like cheap speakers being played too loud.

Too bad, the music is great.

Posted on Feb 5, 2009 10:33:40 AM PST
M. Garcia says:
ummm...things.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 4:38:17 AM PST
Madrok says:
The record album is the same way. The music was recorded and mixed that way on purpose. Some instruments and samples are deliberately given a distorted maxed-out punch. The horns sound they come from vintage mono tapes. It's the effect they were going for. I admit it does give some of the sounds a very stressed-out aspect and it may detract from the overall effect. Turning Amy Winehouse into an audiophile favorite would take a complete re-record of the songs, with an all-live band...no sampling, no overall compression and direct to two track. It might be great but no re-master is going to fix this.

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 1:29:38 PM PST
jingo says:
Although I like most of the songs, which remind me of Motown alot, the quality if poor, like a rushed demo. Whomever the engineer was should be ashamed. Even a hobbyist could do better. No reflection on Amy, however. It would be really great if she would just sing some standards, or maybe get a great writer to compose one just for her.

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 12:37:57 PM PST
A. Cheng says:
I want to reiterate that the vinyl is NOT better sounding than the cd. Truly awful sounding album. It actually hurts my ears, all the distortion. I love the music dearly, but seldom play the record because of the idiotic decision to give the album a faux vintage sound - which sounds like garbage.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2010 9:16:31 PM PST
ILikeAmazon says:
You are so correct!...but that's the sound effect they wanted. However, this problem is not uniform across the album (CD). The tracks produced by Mark Ronson sound much more mono-fied than those produced by Salaam Remi. The difference is distinct and the Remi tracks sound clearer.

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 1:49:19 PM PST
J. Font says:
I agree about the sound quality! This album is absolutely fantastic from an artistic standpoint, but the production of the album is very weak!

I listen to music with a set of high-quality headphones, using a dedicated headphone amp & DAC and this album just sounds terribly muddy and poorly put together. A true shame, because the songs are fantastic.

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 6:01:29 PM PST
John Baez says:
I guess you guys don't listen to old recordings. Ever try "Lady Day: the Best of Billie Holiday" - a collection of her best tunes on the Columbia label? They're great - but you'd probably just say the recording sucks.

Posted on May 11, 2011 1:52:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2011 1:53:35 PM PDT
John, there is a difference between a recording of poor quality that results from necessity -- poor recording equipment being the only thing available at that time, or being the best equipment available on a shoe-string budget in some cases -- and going out of the way to make an album sound horrible to achieve a 'retro' sound when other options are available to achieve this goal. As an example, I like the work of Robert Johnson and other Delta blues musicians that was recorded in the '20 and '30s, but that does not mean that modern blues musicians should attempt to imitate the horrible quality of those recordings just to try to achieve a similar atmosphere.

Posted on May 24, 2011 12:35:55 AM PDT
J.Y says:
I thought it was just me. The first few songs on the deluxe album have a muddy quiet sound about them, compared to the remastered bonus songs. It is probably intentional, or like Thomas mentions, the only equipment avaliable at the time to work on.

I don't mind because the song still sounds good. Similar to how songs from the 50's/60's sound great in mono. I wouldn't ask for them in stereo because they sound amazing the way they are.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 9:47:35 AM PDT
Nick Salter says:
I downloaded this as flac and burned a CD - I thought some joker had used some low quality mp3's to create the flacs - lucky it was free. Hope there are some good quality masters otherwise it would be ironic - lost forever in more ways than one, just like Ella

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 4:54:53 PM PDT
Larry Groff says:
If you listen to Ronnie Specter's newly released version of Back To Black...which I love BTW...there are inserted clicks and pops, I suppose, to instill the imperfections of days gone by when vinyl was the only material for music. But I think that it's kind of cool! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2014 3:21:09 PM PDT
Uh, yeah, you've got a needle slashing through vinyl. I was there, buddy, I'm 50. Records still suck. No distortion? Which planet did you grow up on?

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 3:37:11 PM PDT
The problem with the quality on Amazon Prime Music is the level of compression that has been chosen. I don't know why this was done, being that Pandora, even on their lower quality setting, which I use on my Samsung Galaxy S5, is much much better. Basically, and I don't know why, Amazon has chosen to suck the life out of the music making everything sound like a wet noodle being slapped on concrete. All it takes is to lay off the compression just a bit. Yes, the songs will be larger in size on disk, but does amazon really have a problem with disk space?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Back to Black forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2007
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Back to Black
Back to Black by Amy Winehouse (Audio CD - 2007)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (975)