4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to use, kind of messy
Published 13 months ago by Kim S

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great
I got this for my 9 year old daughter a week ago. Cutter works great but the 'popper', not so much. It took several pushes to get the fruit out. Cookie cutters are cheaper and more effective.
Published 17 months ago by MarthaL

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to use, kind of messy, November 2, 2013
This review is from: Pop Chef- 10 Piece Kit (Kitchen)
Got this for my daughter who has been wanting an Edible Arrangement - and I refused to spend that much money on a few dollars worth of fruit! I was frustrated the kit came with no directions - but we figured it out easy enough. Like others have said, most of the fruit tends to get stuck. The kit comes with a white stick that fits through a hole at the top and you can push the fruit (or sandwiches) out using that. We had to use the stick every single time - the bulb doesn't really push anything out.

It is messy - some fruit just got mushy. We had the best luck with watermelon, apples and kiwi. We tried strawberries and pears and oranges: fail. We used what worked and then put grapes in between them on the skewers. Fun and delicious.

It didn't cost much and my daughter enjoyed making fruit kabobs with it. She made her own edible arrangement for a picnic. I can see now that cookie cutters would have worked just as well, but we had a good time with it so I am happy with the purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, July 16, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars was disappointed with the product, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Pop Chef- 10 Piece Kit (Kitchen)
I found it impossible to pop the food out. It didn't work like shown on tv. tried various foods but nothing popped out

2.0 out of 5 stars It Cute, But..., November 8, 2013
ThreesACharm (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pop Chef- 10 Piece Kit (Kitchen)
My family loves Edible Arrangements - we receive one from relatives at least once a month, and we send them probably twice as often. My son loves receiving and eating them; we just received one yesterday and have finished half already. So when he saw the commercial for this on TV, he wanted it immediately.
I found Pop Chef cheap at the grocery store and figured it would be a fun project for both of us. The next day, we had a small BBQ, so my son & I used it to cut up vegetables for a crudite platter. It took us a few minutes (and two adults) to figure out how to assemble everything, because the instructions were a little confusing, but after that, we dove straight it.
The first problem we had was cutting into the veggies. Cucumbers were pretty easy, but carrots and peppers were impossible - the "cutters" are made of plastic, and not really capable of cutting into anything that isn't soft. We ended up "popping" just the cucumbers and tomatoes, which proved messy, but produced some cute shapes.
The next issue we had was with the actual popper - while it could suck up the shapes easily, getting them back out was difficult. More than half of the time, the shaped veggie got stuck inside the popping tube, which required us to use the little bamboo stick thing to push it back out. And because this thing only works with soft fruits & veggies, pushing the shape out with the stick often warped or broke the shape. So it was kind of pointless.
Lastly, only three shapes work with the actual popper: the circle, the star and the heart. The three remaining shapes are plastic cookie cutters - butterfly, flower and sun - which don't work with the popper and require you to cut the veggies and fruit by hand, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Holding those three cooker cutters in my hand, I had an epiphany: we don't need the Pop Chef, we need a good, solid set of metal cookie cutters!
I won't return this, because my five-year-old thinks it's the greatest thing ever, and it's cheap and small enough to collect dust at the bottom of my cabinet. But the next time we make shaped fruit or veggie arrangements, I'm skipping the Pop Chef and using metal cookie cutters, instead!

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Pop Chef- 10 Piece Kit (Kitchen)
This item is trash please don't waste your money on it, because you will regret buying this cheaply made item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Summertime Fun, February 23, 2014
This review is from: Pop Chef- 10 Piece Kit (Kitchen)
The kids will love it. We enjoyed it and it works pretty good. Like most items like this, it ends up eventually in the garage sale or stored away in the kitchen somewhere out of sight. Don't get me wrong, it works and is fun to include the kids on making some colorful snacks for family or for a party.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just use a cookie cutter., July 21, 2013
Angela Sugarbaker (Gulf Coast Alabama) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pop Chef- 10 Piece Kit (Kitchen)
This thing was sad. My daughter and I were all excited to make our own Edible Arrangments.

I guess you would have to use firm non-ripe fruit to get a clean cut. Watermelon worked the best, but everything else came out looking like it had been gnawed on. It just ended up being a sticky mess in the end. I can't tell any major difference using the suction bulb device. I think you could get the same (maybe better) result with just plain cookie cutters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Item, December 4, 2013
This review is from: Pop Chef- 10 Piece Kit (Kitchen)
The other reviewers are correct, this is one of the worst items I have ever ordered. It doesn't work in any way, shape or form that it describes. I went ahead and ordered it regardless of the reviews because my son really wanted it. Even he wanted to return it. This item should be entirely reconstructed to better quality or completely taken off the market.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pop chef---please!, April 11, 2014
This review is from: Pop Chef- 10 Piece Kit (Kitchen)
Ok, my 8 yr old son wanted this thing for Xmas. I refused to get it after reading the reviews, but Santa had to spoil him and it was there on Xmas morning. So I amused him with finding the softest things he could pop out, which was a ripe cantaloupe and a watermelon. Even then, the pop-chef was terrible! Needless to say, after just a one-time try with pop-chef, I discreetly popped it into the trash. Luckily santa brought better things to keep him occupied with!

5.0 out of 5 stars ITs perfect for create, February 24, 2014
This review is from: Pop Chef- 10 Piece Kit (Kitchen)
Its perfect for cut all types of fruits, Its necesary cut the fruit maybe 1 or 2 cm for easy cut the differents forms. If you cut more of 2 cm, its difficult out.

Pop Chef- 10 Piece Kit