Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on July 11, 2012
I purchased this to secure my Honda Ridgeline tailgate for an extended trip through Canada, Alaska and the North West USA. Installation was very straight forward, no problems there. I tried the lock about four times after installation and a couple of times showing my wife, that we could now lock the tailgate, again no problems there. I then installed a bed cover and was feeling pretty good, or so I thought. The night before we were to leave for six weeks on the road we loaded the bed and locked the tailgate, now a problem. Problem is the plastic part holding the lock cylinder popped off in my hands. This after testing the lock only six times!!! We then had no way to secure our bed, but had to go. So we glued the plastic lock cover to the tailgate and wished it would hold. I am looking for a way to get it to work now, and will take any suggestions.
on January 12, 2012
You really can install this thing in half an hour, which includes ten minutes to unscrew and re-mount the parts of the tailgate. You must be careful when removing the top of the tailgate as you must look at the clips to see which way they are pointing, so you will replace them the same way you found them, also, I drilled the hole on the plastic part a little too small and then used the same drill bit to open the hole...but opened it a little too big for my liking. That did not cause any problem with the finished job though and the thing works fine, in fact it works great! It is simple to install and the job should not be feared. I think the key operation is a bit too rigid when I turn the key so I will probably spray some WD40 into it to free it up sometime soon. Great product!!
on June 18, 2012
This is a great addition to any vehicle that didnt come with a lock and key for the tailgate. It offers great security and allow the cover to close and keep the contents in the bed of the truck secure.

This is not a difficult job to perform. For the Honda following the direction is a must. Key is to put downward preassure on the tailgate cap while sliding it to the left. Using a rubber mallet helps. If you don't take your time you could end up breaking a clip that holds the tailgate cap on. You can order replacements from honda. I was fortunate not to damage any of the clips.

Again I would highly recommend this item if you want to secure your tailgate.
on June 29, 2012
I do have much to say other than this piece of junk almost made a family vacation a real bummer. They use plastic on the most important piece of the lock. it broke in under 2 days of use and they way its installed when it breaks you cant open the hatch and if you cant open the hatch you are screwed especially when your tonue cover locks down on top. its effort to instal and the cheep crap design make for a FKN nightmeer. good luck if you buy this junk....
on January 2, 2013
This device will close the loop on securing my tonneau cover to my Ridgeline. Only as good as the intent to get under the cover, but at least it'll thwart the casual ripoff artist.

Easy installation, works as advertised, and delivery was prompt.

All covered and locked up in Arizona.
on March 7, 2013
I purchased this (for my 2012 Honda Ridgeline last Fall) to work in unison with my roll top bed cover to keep my things secure. It worked well for the first month but once the weather began to turn cold I began to notice an extreme stiffness in the lock. I applied WD40 numerous times which seemed to help temporary. Soon I was unable to turn the lock at all. The problem seems to be that it is really cheaply made. Some days after the mechanical seizure of this bed lock I attempted to give it 1 more try...and the lock began to tumble forward end over end. Complete Failure.

Luckily the company stood behind the product enough to replace it no questions asked. I should be receiving another one shortly. But who needs the hassle of taking off the the broken one and putting on a new one? (a big headache)

Pros: an inexpensive way to secure your truck bed.

Cons: Cheap construction, freezes in the cold, complete mechanical failure with minimal use.

Summary: It is a great idea but needs to be re worked so that it does what it is designed to do. As a result, I would NOT recommend until some changes in the construction are made. Truth is I may just be so unlucky to have received a 'bad unit' in which case I will return and amend this post. Happy Shopping!

++ UPDATE: 3/26/13 ++

I had my pop lock replaced and I was told that there was a fundamental design problem with the original design or something. The new pop lock appeared to be much more sturdy in design. It is presently working fine and I hope that this one holds up. I LOVE that it (along with my locking roll top bed cover) protects the contents of my bed. The function of this unit is essentially necessary for anyone wanting to use their truck bed for storage as I do. I appreciate the company making the unit but more importantly standing behind it and any problems associated with it. Good Job!
on December 21, 2012
I bought the Pop n Lock several weeks ago and just got around to installing it. The instructions were pretty good except for #6. It took a few minutes to figure out exactly where the bolt linkage should be placed. The instructions stated to place the bolt linkage under the upper rod and then bolt in place. It should also read "make sure the bolt linkage is also under the release cable" (the lower right side of the existing mechanism). The picture does not show this clearly. No big deal but it would have been nice. What's a few more words. Other than that the insructions were for my truck and very easy to follow. They had the number of screws to remove etc. perfect and knew exactly the procedure to follow to disassemble and reassemble the tailgate. As far as the product is concerned, I agree with some of the other reviewers. One of the parts that is most important is plastic. (Where the lock bezel attaches to the bolt link.) I feel that it may soon wear out or be broken if someone pulls hard on the handle. The other parts seem to be very sturdy. If they would make the bezel attachement more sturdy I would give this a much higher rating.
on March 8, 2013
I like this product. It wasn't too difficult to install. I got the tailgate taken apart no problem and the installation went without a hitch. I agree with previous reviews that the most important part is made out of plastic. That is the only ding I have. If you buy this make sure you pay attention to the instructions about not over-tightening bolts and screws. I couldn't get it to lock properly until I backed off some of the pressure on one of the screws. Seems to work fine. We'll see how long it lasts.
on July 5, 2013
According to the picture in the advertisement for the lock, it appeared that the lock was a replacement handle set that had a key lock built in it. NOT THE CASE!!!! This lock required drilling into the Honda tailgate pull handle-hoping it could be done as easily as the very little instructions showed. But this had to done after taking the tailgate apart. I promptly sent it back not wanting to take a chance on ruining an expensive factory part.
on May 6, 2012
First watch a YouTube video to visualize the installation procedure. The parts fit like a glove making the installation quick. Total time after watching some online resources was about 20 minutes. The product looks and functions like factory installed equipment. I highly recommend this product.