1,003 Reviews

Published on February 10, 2010 by Bookphile

2.0 out of 5 stars Holy SALT, Batman!
Published on January 26, 2011 by P. Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly like traditional potato chips, but a great substitute, February 10, 2010
This review is from: Popchips Potato Chips (Grocery)
One of my biggest frustrations with doing Weight Watchers was always the problem of finding good chips. I will eat the baked ones, but they are undeniably very different from regular fried chips. In addition to this, I've never been able to find a baked chip that came in salt and vinegar flavor, which is my favorite type of chip. This meant that, whenever I had the craving for this particular flavor, I'd have to eat the regular fried kind.

I picked up an oversize bag of the barbecue flavor Pop Chips on a whim at Costco. I'd heard about them and was curious about what they're like, but I'd never before been able to find them in the area. Much to my surprise, my very thin husband who is totally addicted to barbecue chips loved them and pretty much ate the whole bag before I'd had any. I had tasted a couple of them and thought the barbecue flavor was good, so I decided to go ahead and order the individual bags from Amazon in barbecue for him and sea salt and vinegar for me.

They are definitely worth the money. I want to emphasize, however, that you will not be fooled into believing these are the regular old fried chips. The taste and texture is something like a cross between rice cakes and chips. I say rice cakes because they have something of that puffed look that rice cakes do. Still, they are very good and the salt and vinegar is nice and strong, which is just the way I like them.

As for the portion size, it's pretty generous. For my fellow Weight Watchers, they are 2 points per bag, and they definitely make for a satisfying, filling snack or a side for your sandwich.

I would definitely recommend these to anyone who is sick of the limited flavors of baked chips and would like something that comes in a wider variety of more exotic flavors. I'm planning on trying the parmesan and garlic next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Only 2 Points!, October 17, 2009
These potato chips taste much better than the baked chips and they're only 2 points if you're on Weight Watchers. They're a good snack for the afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic chips!!!, May 22, 2008
I want to start out by saying that i thought at first that a bag with only 120 calories and 4 grams of fat (no saturated or trans) for every 20 chips was going to taste like crap. I must say that not only was i wrong, that this is my favorite BBQ chip on the market today. They are light and you cannot taste any fat or grease after eating them. That's because they aren't baked or fried, just popped as their name suggests. These chips are very easy to dip as well. FANTASTIC PRODUCT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Potato Popchip Goodness!, January 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a kid, I scarfed bags of the Calbee Sweet Potato chips that my mom would pick up at the local Asian market. As my tastes refined in adulthood, I was less inclined to buy bags of those chips that resembled styrofoam even if I still craved their sugary sweet and salty flavor.

These Popchips Sweet Potato chips are the adult version of the snack I grew up with. There's a delicious sweet and salty mix in every bite. The chip is light and airy, without resembling a foamy rice cake and the deep orange hue is the color of a perfectly roasted sweet potato.

I've purchased a number of sweet potato chips from Amazon in the past (Both the "Terra" & "Food Should Taste Good" chips) which have all been good, but they didn't play up the sweet and salty combo quite as much as I'd like. The Terra chips are more like simple sliced sweet potatoes, oven dried and turned into chips; the Food Should Taste Good chips are like yummy, sweet potato flavored, salty tortilla chips; and these Pop Chips sweet potato chips are, well... sweet potato pop chips. If you've never had a pop chip before, the weight of an individual chip probably most resembles Baked Lays - but with a puckered, air-puffed texture.

There are 100 calories per bag. 24 bags come nicely packed in a box that you can tear open for a neat display in your pantry. I've purchased bagged chips online a number of times and have received packages where the chips were thrown into a box which was thrown into an Amazon box for shipping so by the time they got to me, all the chips were broken. Not so with this packaging, they're tightly packed so the the bags don't shift around much in shipping and the few bags we've already eaten have had no more broken chips than what we'd get from picking up a bag in the store.

Happy snacking!

2.0 out of 5 stars Holy SALT, Batman!, January 26, 2011
P. Brand (Hartford, CT) - See all my reviews
We are chip fanatics in our house and we decided to try these because of their claim of being a "healthier" alternative to regular chips. I will admit that they have a great crunch - something between a ricecake and a kettle chip. The texture is also very nice, again - similar to a ricecake, but with a great potato flavor. The big issue with these is the sodium level. After about four or five chips they're almost unbearable because of the salt and you really stop tasting anything but the salt. A review of the nutritional facts showed that the sodium per serving was almost double that of a standard potato chip serving and that was for their "original" flavor...I can't imagine what the "Salt & Pepper" style must be like.

I would buy these regularly if they cut the salt by about 75%. Because of the salt factor, I don't think you can call these a "healthy" alternative to chips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Chips!, July 9, 2008
These chips are really, really good. I don't bother buying any other kind of potato chips. These have a great taste and no messy greasy fingers. I was shocked and disappointed to find out my local grocery suddenly stopped carrying the chips. Thank goodness for Amazon. Now I can get the chips right to my door--cheaper than I was paying at the grocer!

3.0 out of 5 stars A healthy alternative, but with overpowering and inconsistent flavor, January 27, 2012
Jonathan (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Popchips, Chili Lime, 0.8-Ounce Single Serve Bags (Pack of 24) (Grocery)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are definitely a healthier alternative than your standard potato chip - each bag (roughly 20 silver dollar-sized chips) has only three grams of fat and 100 calories. They are also kosher, gluten-free and vegan.

Instead of baking the flavor into the chip, Popchips add seasoning once the chips are "popped" (as opposed to fried or baked). This, however, is also the cause of my problem with the chips. I found the flavor to be wildly inconsisent from bag to bag, and sometimes from chip to chip within the same bag. One bag's lime flavor was so overpowering I almost gagged, while the next was a nice, uneventful snack. The lime flavor is also much, much more noticeable than the chili flavor.

As a healthy alternative to potato chips, these are a viable option, but keep a glass of water handy - with the almost-randomized flavor intensity, you're not going to know how intense the lime flavor is going to be until you open the bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheddar POPCHIPS are totally Yummy!, September 19, 2009
I am addicted to Popchips - I love the cheddar flavored ones. I don't crave cheetos anymore which I was addicted to. I know eat a bag of these and my craving is gone. They are actually healthy and for only 100 calories a bag and around 3 grams of fat - it is a much better choice than cheetos. They are very crunchy and full of flavor. I am ordering these again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent, June 24, 2009
These have a great crunch and it's great that it's low fat. However, it's way too salty. 280mg per serving is more than twice the amount of regular flavor chips like Lays. The cheddar and sour cream and onion flavor is delicious but also way too salty and too much sodium for my taste buds or health.

4.0 out of 5 stars We'll never go back to "baked"!, May 21, 2009
These beat baked chips hands down! I love the crunch almost as much as I love the calorie content and the single serve bags! Because they are not fried you are saving fat and calories but they are not flat and tasteless like the baked chips either. You know the ones that if you bite off a piece the wrong way you can pierce your tongue with it? Never again! The BBQ is a tad strong IMHO but they are still keepers! The original flavor is awesome.

Rate and Discover Movies