Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on August 18, 2012
In the pre-Popchips days Doritos were one of my favorite chips... I eat chips every day with lunch, now I only eat Popchips. I love the taste and the fact they're much lower in fat than "regular" chips. I eat the 3 ounce potato Popchips bags and now the 3.5 ounce Tortilla bags. These 3.5 oz bags seem to be just slightly less volume than the 3 oz potato bags but both are a satisfying amount. The nutritional values for the Tortilla bags are pretty much the same as the potato (not exact but close). So that said when I saw these brand new tortilla Popchips on Amazon I got excited! Excited over chips? Yes. I immediately ordered a box of the Nacho Cheese with subscription. Today they finally arrived and just in time for lunch. They nailed it! They look like any tortilla chip but a bit more puffy. They are crunchy but slightly more "fluffy" I guess you could say than a regular tortilla chip. The corn tortilla flavor is strong (tastes good) and the nacho cheese flavor tastes pretty much like you'd expect, very similar to nacho cheese Doritos (good!). Basically these taste like a very good tortilla chip or nacho cheese Dorito but without any greasy feeling or taste. I LOVE these, now I just need to try the other flavors!

Side note... Boo Amazon dropping subscribe and save discount on Popchips to 5%...
Flavor: Chili LimonSize: 1-Ounce (Pack of 24)Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Housemate has been telling me that Popchips are not bad substitutes for the stuff that's really, really bad for you, so when I had the chance to try some, I took it. Alas, I could only choose from three flavors (I don't really like flavored snack chips) so I took the least repellent one, Chili-lime (limon). I wish the originals had been available.

In any event I ate a small bag of them and I have to agree with The Housemate: They're not bad. They're not great either but I've had a lot worse. The flavor is more chili than lime, and as such they have a nice little bite to them. They're puffy, as I expected, and as such are fairly filling when you have something to drink with them. They're also a little dry so you really will need a beverage. Not particularly salty, so your craving for saltycrunchy things might not be answered with these puppies.

What is good, even great about them is that a one ounce bag seems to satisfy the itch I have for crunchy snacks. Or maybe it's just that one ounce of Popchips is really just enough Popchips for any given moment. All I know is that I'm not thinking longingly of kettle cooked potato chips now, and that's a good thing. And I'm relatively full.

So there it is: Not bad flavor and texture. Could be saltier. Filling. Spicy. Relatively low in calories. And might just satisfy your cravings. No guarantees on that, though, but then even eating an ounce of potato chips might not do that. So I would add: Not addictive. At least not for me.
on December 27, 2012
Flavor: SalsaSize: 1-Ounce (Pack of 24)Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These 120 calorie bags seem to contain about twice as many chips as the small bags of fried chips. Taste is a little flat compare to fried chips, but not bad. These do not nave a chemical after taste like many diet snacks.
on July 30, 2014
While these may have half the fat of Doritos, they only have 10 fewer calories per serving, certainly not enough to make up for the loss of flavor, texture and crunch.

(Oddly, while these have even way more orange powder than Doritos, the flavor is rather flat.)

I like other Pop Chips (the veggie chips are pretty good, and the Ranch tortilla chips are better than these--but again, not as good as Doritos for that paltry 10 calories).

And as with all popped chips--be they Pop Chips potato chips, Pop Chips tortilla chips, Popped Wheat Thins, or what-have-you, under the seasoning, they all kind of taste the same.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 9, 2012
Wow. These are REALLY good. For a while we jumped off the PopChips bandwagon and onto the PopCorners, but after tasting this new flavor, we're all a bit obsessed. If you like Doritos, but want a healthier and much less greasy option, these chips are for you. They are crispy and light but loaded with flavor.

They are a tiny bit spicier than Doritos, but I can't stand spicy foods, and while I can pick up the "kick" in the Popchips it's not enough to deter me from eating them.
VINE VOICEon January 3, 2013
These chips are definitely a little different from regular chips. First, they are popped (heated under pressure), rather than fried or baked. Another feature, though not unique, that they claim to be made from all natural ingredients, so seems worthwhile, there. At 120 calories per 1 oz. bag, I don't find that beneficial, just typical of a treat, snack or accompaniment with a sandwich, hamburger, hotdog, etc. As for the flavor (salsa), I find it pleasant, but not so delicious, I find I must make them a regular buying choice. But, Pop Chips do come in other flavors, like nacho cheese, and I must admit Doritos, nacho cheese, are my favorite tortilla chips, so for a better comparison, nacho cheese Pop Chips would be a better choice. But, I do want some variety in such a product and these do provide that, as I say, in a pleasant way. So, worth trying.
Flavor: Nacho CheeseSize: 1-Ounce (Pack of 24)Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Finally, there are chips that taste great and have only natural ingredients. These Popchips are really good. The taste is great - lightly-spiced corn. The texture is soft, almost puffy. They come in a variety of flavors and different-size packages including one ounce and three and a half ounces. I especially like the nacho cheese flavor. What do you call cheese that does not belong to you?

These chips do not contain artificial flavors, artificial colors, trans fat, or a lot of sugar, and are not greasy. The total sugar count is only one gram for each ounce, twenty-eight grams. I like them for guacamole dipping, with salsa, or in the one-ounce package as a snack with lunch. The only downside is that they can become addictive.
VINE VOICEon January 21, 2013
Popchips has added four flavors of tortilla chips to their eleven flavors of potato chips. I tried the chili limón version. I found this to be a very good healthier snack chip.

The main ingredient is stone ground corn masa, which tells me that they are starting out in the right place. Popchips are made by mixing the non-flavor ingredients into a dough which is divided to individual pieces. The result is then put into a pressure mold with chip-shaped spaces for individual pieces. The pieces are pressed into the molds, quickly heated, and then quickly released. As a result of the heat and pressure, the chip "pops," becoming rigid and expanding in thickness. The gives you a chip that is less dense that it would be if it were just baked. The texture of Popchips is different from baked or fried snack chips. The flavor is then applied in the type of tumbling drum system used by virtually all chip makers.

I've tried six or seven varieties of Popchip potato chips, and I've liked some more than others. I do like tortilla chips enough that, once in a great while, I'll make my own. It's messy, it's not the healthiest snack, but they're better than anything that comes in a bag.

For a long time, a big snack maker sold lime and chili flavor corn chips. They were never widely distributed and seem to turn up mostly in small bags at gas stations and convenience stores. They were my favorite variety of flavored corn chips. The Popchips Chili Limón Tortilla Chips seemed like a flavor that might appeal to me.

I have to say these were even better than I expected. They have the texture of regular Popchips, and the chili limón flavor is very good. It's spicy but not irritating and the flavor does not linger on your palate. As good as they are, I felt that they could use a touch more limón. I sprinkled a very tiny amount of crystalized lime on a few of the chips. I think the additional lime improved the flavor and added a perceptible citrus tang to the chip. I also bought a bag of lime-flavored regular potato chips for comparison. I would not expect the Popchips to have anything close to the flavor of the potato chips, but the comparison did confirm that Popchips are being truthful when they say "trace of lime" on the ingredients list. This may just be a reflection of my personal preference for anything with a citrus flavor.

I also tried these chips with a medium picante sauce as a dip. Again, the Popchips were even better than I expected with the picante sauce. The sauce and chip complement each other and may become a new favorite snack.

I've added Popchips Chili Limón Tortilla Chips to my shopping list app.
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2013
I'm not sure exactly how Popchips are made -- the package says they aren't fried, aren't baked, but are made using a little heat and pressure to pop the chips. Whatever that means, it doesn't matter -- because I find Popchips totally satisfying. These particular chips are no exception.

These have a spicy, chili flavor with a hint of lime. If you have had the major brand "chili-flavor corn chips", the chili flavor is very similar to that brand. The lime in this product is not overwhelming, it's just a hint. I also don't consider these particularly salty, as is the case with most "lime" flavored products. The seasoning doesn't come off of the chips easily, although I still wouldn't recommend eating these while using a keyboard.

What I like about Popchips is the nutritional facts. For the same volume as the leading chips, you get a very satisfying snack. There isn't less in the package here, it's just as much of a snack as you would expect from leading brands. Total calories equal 120, which is probably 130 to 180 less than "regular" chips. Fat content is only 4g (6%), and sodium only comes in at 135 mg (6%), which is considerably low. Because the product is made from corn, carbs are 20g (7%), but the fiber comes in at a healthy 2g (8%). There is some "sugar" listed in the ingredients (part of the seasoning), but it's only 1g for the package.

Chips are crisp and crunch, with only a slight "popcorn" texture to them. Most chips are whole, with only a few broken bits in the bag. If you need to satisfy a mid-day or lunch-time salty-snack, crunch-snack craving -- these should do the trick.

I prefer these, but I also like most "corn" products. I like the healthy nature of the product and the lower calories. If you want a good healthy snack, give these a try.
on January 5, 2013
These are very good chips and I'll take them anytime over the grease laidened one like Lays..... There are more chips in a one ounce bag than Lays because they aren't saturated in grease. They are thicker than a normal chip and when you bite into one they kind of feel like a cross between a potato chip and a cracker. They are thicker than Tortilla Chips normally are and puffy. The flavor is just right, plenty of flavor but you don't bite into a chip that has so much flavoring on it that you need to wipe some off like other fried chips. Some chips lower in calories or fat are somewhat tasteless and boring but not these. Love that there are only 4 grams of fat in each full one ounce bag but the fat is polyunstaurated fat and monounsaturated fat, not Saturated or Trans fat like other chips. It's 120 calories for the entire one ounce bag and after eating just one bag I was more than satisfied. You really need to try these to appreciate them. I'm not buying greasy chips again.... I'd rather pay a little more and save my health than pay a little less and endanger my health. I thought I was going to go leave another feedback for the cheese flavored ones but they are all together so I wanted to make a note that the cheese flavored ones do not have as much flavor as the salsa ones but everything else is the same about them. The cheese flavor is mild. I haven't tried the BBQ flavored ones so I don't know if that flavor is stronger or mild.