4.0 out of 5 stars Very good

Published on December 1, 2002 by M. Roper

3.0 out of 5 stars could've been better, December 1, 2002
M. Roper "msladygrass" (Columbus, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pork Tornado (Audio CD)
I read some of the reviews prior to buying this album, not to mention I'm a die-hard Phish fan, and bought it primarily because some said it had an overall "bluegrassy-country" sound to it and afterall, it is a side-project of the Phish crew. (Trey's album is fantastic, by the way.) Should I mention that I play a banjo? "Hoist" - one of Phish's best to me - has what some call bluegrass on it. This album, on the other hand, has about 4 really good jammin songs on it and although they are awesome songs, there's nothing bluegrassy about them. As for the rest of the album... I can do without it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Jelly, Not Enough Bacon, June 23, 2014
This review is from: Pork Tornado (Audio CD)
This CD skips rapidly from one musical genre to another, apparently seeking more to be clever than to offer anything profound. Founder Fishman, of the jam-rock group Phish, shows no ambition to use this new setting as a showcase for his instrumental prowess, instead receding into the new band. Vocal duties rotate, but they are almost uniformly weak and wisely mixed low. About the only uniting element is the irreverent attempts at humor that regularly intrude on the music (symbolized well by the pigs with jelly oozing out of them that dominate the artwork).

"Chained to a Stump" captures the sort of jam-band virtuosity that characterized early Phish, with great saxophone fills and a fun rhythm, but it requires tolerating excessive repetition of the song title. Even clumsier lyrical indulgences tarnish the James Brown funk of "Kiss My Black Ass" (whose level of subtlety is clear from the title), the sludgy blues-rock "Trousers" (the character cannot see because his trousers are on his head), and the a capella "All American" (which repeats ad nauseum, in a sort of vocal round, the call for a fat, black, single mom in the White House). "Home Is Where You Are" follows the Phish tradition of breaking the mood by cramming a goofy country-flavored song in the middle an album.

Most of the remainder is listenable, although it rarely rises above filler. "Move with You" is a nicely funky start to the CD -- got my hopes up -- and the understated "Blue Skies" temporarily arrests the steady decline that follows that initial tune. But by the end, I was definitely mumbling the blues along with Aaron for having sunk my money into this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, August 28, 2013
This review is from: Pork Tornado (Audio CD)
Just listened to this album on You Tube and I'm gonna buy it. Nothing too cutting edge or groundbreaking here but very serviceable, solid songwriting and top shelf musicianship with an eclectic palette of musical styles. I would put a few of the songs in the great category and the rest are very good. Overall highly listenable and enjoyable. I think it's far better than what some of the negative reviews here would have me believe. 4.5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excuse me..Could I Add on a Side of Bacon?, April 12, 2008
This review is from: Pork Tornado (Audio CD)
A brilliant ensemble. These fellows really throw in a list of ingredients and finish up with a hearty menagerie brew.
--The lot has long since emptied.

1.0 out of 5 stars You have got to be kidding me??????????, January 26, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Pork Tornado (Audio CD)
I shouldn't be wasting my time trying to write a review of this but after hearing all the hype, I had to. I can't believe how much praise this disc is getting, there is nothing praiseworty on here at all!!! You have defintiely got to be a fan of this band's founder(from Phish) and truly appreciate his genius in Phish to even remotely like this album. If this albums intent was to make each track laughable, then they accomplished their mission but as far as a great album, I just don't see it!! Save your money!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Disc, June 23, 2004
Kyle D Jemtrud (Plymouth, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pork Tornado (Audio CD)
Ok, everyone that is going to buy this, remember this ISN'T PHISH. Just because the drummer is in the band doesn't mean its going to sound like them. I think that the hype about this album was way more than it deserved.. but I'm still impressed with the album. Its a great mix of sounds that create a great sound. Some of the songs have almost a guy singing that sounds kinda like leadbelly. Its a great CD to own if you are into any of the phish spin offs.

4.0 out of 5 stars talk about a mixed bag..., November 13, 2002
This review is from: Pork Tornado (Audio CD)
First off, I've known the guitarist for 40 years so I'm a wee bit biased. I know Fish wanted this to be raw and that it is. Excellent musicianship throughout with a big emphasis on fun roadhouse rock with some country, blues and Zappa-like weirdness thrown in. This aint Phish, not by a long shot, and I don't mean that in a bad way. This is more concise, let's have a few too many brews rock n roll another one.

Pork Tornado
Pork Tornado by Pork Tornado (Audio CD - 2002)
Rate and Discover Movies