Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 11, 2007
Grinder works really great for smaller projects. We bought this to try out as we process our own pork, beef and game on our farm. It is well made but don't put it in the dishwasher. It came smaller than what I had anticipated but it did the job. When we did our sausage it was about 40 lbs of it and our arms got sore from the work. We need to buy something bigger for that. The grade of the groundings made very nice country style sausage. I don't like casings so we didn't try the stuffer.
on December 11, 2012
I bought about 15 old Meat grinders off of eBay, looking for what I wanted. I really wanted something that could work in a cabin or if the power goes off. In the process, I REALLY educated myself on what a good meat grinder is and what to look for.Benefit from my purchases and mistakes. The old Universals were tops in their day, but the screw at the end of the worm or augur must be unthreaded and replaced awith a Chop-Rite bolt/screw, or you can't use contemporary cutting knives, so if you go this way be prepared to do this or find one with a lot of spare parts. They had an odd numbering system, but a size #333 is equivalent to a modern size #10. Other than that on the old brands, stick to the Chop-Rite or Enterprise and be picky about the state of the tinning, otherwise you'll be painting with epoxy appliance paint and doing extra greasing. ( a special grease for grinders is available from food machine suppliers and is non-toxic, approved for dairy use etc) With this in mind, these old cast Iron models were made to last forever and can do everything that you need. Just get a size 10 or larger. (Meat Grinders are sized by their number, 5,8,10,20,30, a 2 is added if it's a bolt down model, so 12, 22, and 32). The plates come in two thicknesses, manual and commercial/electric. The manual plates are thinner, usually about 1/4" in thickness. If the plate has a hub, it's a manual plate designed to have the hub on the outside and to help guide the augur/worm. Modern commercial plates are designed for machines with deeper bodies and longer lock rings (that thingie at the front that holds the plate and everything else in place), consequently they have no hub and are thicker, the idea being that they can be ground flat again and reused. Cold comfort if you can't get your lockring tight. Universal had the best lock rings.

Unfortunately, the best recent maker was Porkert which is now out of business.If you look you can still find one on ebay. The size 20 is needed if you plan upon grinding large quantities of meat. For most people a size 10 or 12 is a good compromise. The only other grinder worth looking at is the Chop-Rite. They bought the rights to Enterprise ages ago. (Enterprise was a fancier company, The main difference is that the Chop-Rite uses a cam rather than a bolt to hold the handle on. So you won't ever lose the part, but if you turn the handle backwards it falls off). Make sure that you have a sausage stuffing kit, or an Enterprise/Choprite stuffing machine. The old stuffing machines, still made by Chop-Rite, can also be used to make cider. They come in two sizes: the #25 which holds 4 qts and the # 35 which hold 8 qts. Very handy and REALLY speeds things up if you're making sausage. If you buy one used, make sure that the stuffing tube, lock ring, and the large plate at least is present. The small plate is used with a basket and strainer for cider. Virtually all modern grinders are made in China and reflect their high quality standards; any manufacturing defect made in the backyard is fixed in the yard with a hammer and grinder.
44 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2010
Let me just say that I have tried out three different hand grinders. From Weston #10 to TSM #10 to a generic #32 China POS. All the above did a great job of "mushing" the meat and clogging on everything. None had precision mill-work and the grinders once assembled didn't turn well. I was so disgruntled at the crap construction and shoddy workmanship that I almost gave up. Along came a Porkert #20 that I snagged on sale. When it arrived I was blown away at the sheer size heft and weight. This is not your grandmothers meat grinder, she would never be able to pick it up to move it let alone clean it up after use. With that said, everything went together beautifully, all plates lined up perfectly. The clamp system performed flawlessly locking this beast in place. It ground beautifully and produced magnificent sausage in no time. This animal went through about 15 pounds of meat in just a few minutes....blew me away, toss the meat in and crank it up and it just keeps spitting the meat out. Amazing. If you can find one of these bad boy's buy it. Almost everything else is crap. You do not need electric people, if you need to process 100 lbs just hook up a drill to the handle nut. Because of the size turning the handle by hand is almost effortless. Super thumbs up for Porkert. NOT MADE IN CHINA!
on May 2, 2014
I switched my dog to a RAW diet. A requirement of this is that he eat some liver, which he refused to do. I put chicken, bones and all, or turkey necks in here, add the liver, and it comes out as nice as any ground meat I've ever bought. I think the person that wrote a negative review must have assembled it wrong. This thing quickly chews thru the bones!
on June 27, 2008
Works perfectly. What more can I say? Just like the one grandma had! :) Now I can get back to making my own keilbasi and it works great for converting that lefover ham into ham salad.
on September 30, 2008
Perfect for anyone who is there own source of Meat Products , or anyone looking to save A few dollars at the Grocery Store , or for making those products yourself that are not otherwise available wher you are.
on April 7, 2011
After reading the reviews I decided to buy it as I was sure you cannot go wrong with the simple device
I was wrong.
Junk that cannot be even mounted properly.
The parts cannot be assembled to perform the job.
Asked my farther to correct precision problem so the parts will fit.
Even after that, it is chewing on meet or vegetables and has no power to grind it
I trashed it out. Happy scrap metal collectors!