Published on March 30, 2012 by uniq

1.0 out of 5 stars Made cheaply. Not usable after 6 months of daily usage.
At first I thought this was a great little purchase. You can get a great grind depending on your preference, fine or course.

We use ours for a morning espresso, so choose the fine grade.

But this is where the good comments end.

Published 12 months ago by Robert Norris

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Small, Grinds Fine, Fits nicely inside Aerobie AeroPress, March 30, 2012
uniq "uniq" (El Dorado Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
Works OK for fine grind, but not for coarse -- produces inconsistent grind. Very well made. Small -- fits inside the plunger of my AeroPress, which helps to keep it all in the AeroPress's pouch. Very comfortable to hold. Holds only one serving (about 2-3 measuring spoons), which takes about 160 cranks. Not bad at all, no need to keep opening and looking if you are done: you feel very well when there is no more resistence to cranking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Grinder for Single-Serve Brewers, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
I bought this to relieve my office-mates of the noise pollution created by an electric grinder. It is much smaller than I expected (about 4 inches tall and an inch and a half wide). The stainless steel casing and top makes for a very sturdy feel. It has enough room for about 3-4 tablespoons of coffee beans in the top (probably enough for two 10oz cups of coffee). For one cup, I put about one and a half tablespoons in there and it takes about 50 seconds of medium intensity grinding to finish). The grinding process itself is fairly easy - no real workout here, just some low-level resistance. The adjustment screw clicks as you tighten or loosen it so it is easy to calculate how tight you want it for certain purposes - I stick to 8 clicks from the tightest position for my single-serve drip coffee maker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand Grinding, February 27, 2012
This review is from: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
Just recently, I learned about the health benefits of having two cups of coffee a day. I wanted to turn my coffee drinking into a meditative process and focus on healing. For many reasons, I decided that I would drink coffee made with a French Press. When I began my research into coffee grinders, I quickly discovered an entire world. I found Eletric Burr Grinders starting at about $40.00 and up. I really wanted to hand grind my beans so I continued my research. I quickly discovered two reasonably priced hand grinders and was ready to buy either the Hario Skerton or Kyocera Ceramic Burr Hand Grinder (About $40). I then did a google search and found out the both the Hario Skerton and Kyocera were excellent for grinding coffee beans very fine (for expresso) but were not as good for Coarse Grinding ( Recommended for French Press). After some additional research I found the Porlex and discovered an excellent hand Coffee Grinder. The outside oontainer is very well made, the grinding is consistent and only takes a few minutes to grind enough beans for one or two cups of coffee. If you are grinding beans for more than two (12 ounce cups of Coffee) you might find this is not the best grinder.

The grinding is quick, quiet, and the resulting coffee is beyond excellent. I am very happy that I found this Hand Coffee Grinder and that is has enriched my coffee drinking experience.

Enjoy,

David

1.0 out of 5 stars Made cheaply. Not usable after 6 months of daily usage., December 17, 2013
This review is from: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)

We use ours for a morning espresso, so choose the fine grade.

But this is where the good comments end.

After a little over 6 months usage, grinding about 2 shots per day, the Porlex Grinders issues start to reveal themselves.

The part where the handle attaches to the grinder is made of a soft metal which wears down over time. What this means is that the handle flies off while you are mid grind. In our case, to now grind 1 shot of coffee, the handle flies off during grinding about 10 times during the process, which has meant a doubling of the time taken to grind the coffee, in what was already an arduous process.

It is a poor design with cheap soft metal in a part that should be very strong. This sort of cheap metal I would expect in a product which is marketed as a cheapy, but Porlex is sold as a product for the high-end connoisseur who doesn't mind taking time for the right blend.

Clearly the number of 5 star reviews are made by those who have rated far too early, or have used this grinder for a short time.

This is not a product for the serious coffee consumer who plans on using it for extended use.

Isn't the idea after all of having a hand held grinder is that it is self reliant? Try making it out of materials that will last and stand the test of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best grinder for backpackers/travelers, March 26, 2013
This review is from: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
This is it. This is the grinder you should buy if you frequently travel, backpack, go on hiking trips etc. Theres really nothing better unless you plan on keeping your grinder at home. If you can afford it, the OE Lido is a far better hand grinder but it costs a whopping 100 dollars more than this porlex mini. On top of it, the Lido has some glass and is more delicate than the porlex. If you don't backpack or travel much and can afford it, the Lido is the choice for you.

Either way, I LOVE MY PORLEX mini. Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it produces far more "fines" than OE Lido or other ceramic burr grinders. If you need a grinder for espresso or moka though, the porlex does the job. If you need a grinder for drip coffee, I wouldn't buy the porlex mini.

For espresso: 2nd click from tightest setting.
For Moka: 3rd or 4th click from tightest setting (I'm using 4th because coffee comes out with less gunk, some people will prefer 5 or 6 if they like weaker coffee but 5 or 6 does not work for me)
For drip coffee: 6-8 depending on strength desired.

Good luck on your hand grinder purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it: Not for the faster, cheaper, bigger crowd, May 16, 2013
This review is from: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
If anything changes I will update. So be advised I have only been using this for a short while.

Pros:
Smallest that I think it could possible get.
You can continue your phone conversations, while you grind, without the person on the other end yelling at you, "What is that horrible noise?"
Grinds the coffee without overheating the beans.
Doesn't give the grounds that 'burnt' taste.
Perfect for making one cup of coffee at a time.
Great addition to your traveling coffee set.
Makes a smooth cup of black coffee.

Cons:
Ceramic is fragile and must be treated gently when using
It takes longer to grind.
Takes almost as much force to grind as sharping a pencil in one of those old-fashioned manual pencil sharpeners.
Not for those of you who make coffee by the pot.

In reading the reviews I came to the conclusion that this product might be just what I was looking for, but there were so few reviews that I was hesitant. I looked at the price and then at the enjoyment I get out of my coffee. I will pay a lot for a great cup of back coffee that doesn't have to be doctored up with cream and sugar to be good. Face it, the price of this unit is less than a week of coffee at the fancy place I go for coffee in down town Honolulu. And way less than I payed for a shipment of "Black Blood of the Earth."

Well, having made peace with the price and the possibility that there might be a problem with the handle, I still couldn't make up my mind about whether to get the Hario MSS-1B Mini Mill Slim Coffee Grinder or the Portex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder. So I bought both of them.

I have been using them alternately and still can't decide which one is better at grinding my coffee. I wouldn't want to give either one up. Just on size alone I would to with the Portex for travel. When you take the filters out of your AeroPress carry bag there is plenty of room for the Portex. I will keep the Hario at home and travel with the Portex.

I am using the metal filters now, so no need to carry the paper ones and their holder. All in all I find that the extra effort and time to hand grind my coffee is worth it for the smooth almost sweet cup of black coffee it produces, when combined with the AreoPress and metal filter.

So far, this is a BUY!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Espresso Drinkers, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
I have ground about 15 lbs of coffee - all fine - with my Porlex mini. It doesn't perform well at the fine end and the parts start to wear out. For French press it would probably rate a 5.

Pros:

- Compact, nice fit in hand.

- Grounds bin fits perfectly into my portafilter basket (49 mm) - very convenient.

- Parts slide on and off - no screwing (but see below).

- Solid construction; stainless steel is tough and looks good.

Cons:

- Grinding fine takes a fair amount of force and connection between handle and shaft wears with use. Once handle starts slipping off you'll need to replace the parts (or the whole grinder). This flaw makes grinder inappropriate for heavy use. Grinding coarse you will likely never see this problem. Problem can be fixed by drilling a pin in the shaft or gluing a 7 mm stop collar to the handle (or maybe prevented on a new grinder by bending the handle - search "porlex grinder handle mod").

- Doesn't grind fine well. Ceramic burrs aren't particularly sharp, and will wear if you try to grind fine. And if you over-tighten the adjustment screw you'll strip the plastic ridges that keep the grind setting from drifting.

- Inconsistent grind.

- No indicator to read grind setting. You'll have to mark adjustment screw and burr with a marker.

- Takes 200 turns to grind a double shot. This gets old after a while.

- Rubber holster for storing handle is a novelty - you will stop using it after a week.

- Stainless steel body slips in hand when grinding fine; this is where the rubber handle holster comes in. But it isn't well constructed for this purpose - they should have molded on a more conventional rubber grip

- Over time, the handle will start slipping off. This happens because the plane of the shaft hole is not in-line with the plane of the knob, causing both the hole and shaft to wear. On a new grinder the solution is actually pretty simple - just realign the plane of the hole with the knob: At the existing bend nearer the knob, further bend it until the knob is at the same height as the hole (imagining that handle is on the upright grinder). Now bend the knob in the opposite direction until it is in-plane with the hole.

If your handle is already slipping off, both the shaft and hole will be worn. In this case you'll have to add the following: Find the smallest nut that can fit over the pentagonal shaft and epoxy it on top of the hole. This further limits the out-of-plane motion of the handle, reducing the chance of it coming off. (I had also tried a bit collar that tightens down onto the shaft, but this is unnecessary.) When epoxying the nut, be very careful that it is centered over the hole. Roll up a thin strip of paper until it just fits the nut and hole.

After I had the nut in place, I realized that I could turn the handle with a socket and my power driver. I started doing this a joke, but it was so convenient that I gave up turning it by hand!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pocket Mini Mazzer, February 23, 2013
S. Bove "sbb" (Mill Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
This thing is the iGrinder. It is meticulously designed in a minimalist sense.

I have a mini-mazzer, the rolls-royce of electric grinders, and this unit comes very close to it in terms of perfect espresso grind (or more coarse grinds for pour-over etc.).

Pros:

1) Only one hand-turnable nut for adjusting grind AND taking the entire unit apart for cleaning. So simple!
2) Grind setting adjustable just by turning the one nut mentioned above. Click, click, done. Holds any setting until you change it. Blows away all other hand grinders in this regard. The finest setting = perfect for espresso.
3) Ceramic burrs just as good as steel.
4) Solid chuck-to-crank fit. No wobblies.
5) Perfect size for camping, car travel, vacations, international travel - any where you might spend hours hunting down decent espresso.
6) Easy to hold while grinding.

It takes between 200 and 240 turns of the crank and almost exactly 2 minutes to grind ONE full hopper of espresso grade (the finest or second finest setting) at a speed that's easy on the hands/arms and does not generate heat in the burrs.

One full hopper = one double shot.

This plus a Bialetti Brikka "4 cup" = a perfect pair. One hopper fills the Brikka and makes ONE DOUBLE shot. I have no idea why Bialetti calls it a "4 cup." It should be called the "double shot" - because its for espresso!

Two cautions:
1) Yes, its a narrow unit. You'll have to carefully pour in your beans Pro Tip: use the BOTTOM of the unit to dip into your coffee bag/jar and then pour beans into the top with it - this prevents all spills!
2) If you have large hands, you can scrape the first joint of your index finger as you crank. I wrapped one layer of silver duct-tape around the crank to soften this leading edge.

5.0 out of 5 stars go off grid, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
I am trying to ween myself off being dependent on electricity in all areas, so now in my preparation and consumption of good quality whole bean coffee one cup at a time- this grinder combined with the Aeropress espresso/coffee maker is the ticket! Absolutely the best way to grind fresh roasted beans and brew coffee one cup at a time. The quality of this grinder is above any other currently on the market...I always do extensive research before buying anything...sometimes to the point of being slightly obsessed about getting the best possible thing for the best possible price. This is the most expensive mini portable hand grinder out there for a reason- well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful little grinder, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Kitchen)
I use ths grinder with an AeroPress when traveling. The grinder will slide most of the way inside the press and thus it doesn't take up much extra room (leave the rubber handle-holder on, otherwise it will slide all the way inside the press and the fit is so snug it creates an air vacuum and can be tough to get back out). Only once so far has TSA wanted to look at it when going through security. Grinding is easy though maybe not speedy. One hopper full of beans (just enough coffee for two cups) takes a minute or two to grind (200+ revolutions) at the medium-fine setting I use. If you're in a hurry or using a regular press you can select a coarser grind and cut the time (and number of revolutions) in half. It is easy to set the coarseness of the grind by number of clicks of the adjustment nut. The grind is more even than the inexpensive electric conical burr grinder I use at home. I use a little brush from a hair clipper set to brush off the grinder after each use. I've also taken it apart and washed it in water, but found that if I brush it off after each use it doesn't really need to be washed.

Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder