4.0 out of 5 stars Port Royale 3 Mini-Review
Jim here, with my short & sweet review just in time for the official launch of the boxed edition next week.

Sadly, I missed out on playing the previous versions of Port Royale. Port Royale 3 is my introduction into the series, and from the start until now, my experience has been rather pleasant, indeed.

To me, PR3 is Railroad Tycoon meets Age of...
Published on October 11, 2012 by Jim H. Moreno

2.0 out of 5 stars Good game if it's what you're looking for
This is a mathematician's dream game. This is mainly due to the calculations you will be doing when buying and selling goods, of which there are many.

Published 21 months ago by Pavel Bass

4.0 out of 5 stars Port Royale 3 Mini-Review, October 11, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360 (Video Game)

To me, PR3 is Railroad Tycoon meets Age of Sail, both of which are legendary and beloved gaming series' to me. There's simply a lot I love about this game. I love the acts of trading goods between ports, stocking up my ships with goods at one port, then selling them all at another, and watching my profits rise higher and higher. I love outfitting ships for war, shanghai-ing sailors into servitude, arming them with swords and muskets, and hoping they don't mutiny. I love the aptly-paced real-time combat, outsmarting the AI with my naval combat maneuvers, and slowly and expertly filling their ships with holes and lead until they sink in the drink. Surprisingly, I also find myself enjoying the main campaign's storyline, with the adventure, love, and political intrigue.

Yes, of course, it's not a perfect game. There are more than a few things I find bothersome with PR3, but thankfully none of them are things that break the game for me, or are causing me to dislike and quit playing. The buy/sell slider is one of my most irksome griefs, as it's a nuisance to use. For what it's designed to do, it does work, but it requires much more effort than is warranted, in my opinion.

Another string of errors I've noticed come in the way of mismatched verbal and written dialogues. For example, the character speaking will say `ship', but the on screen text will have it written as `vessel'; spoken `city' is written as `town'; `commodity' is written as `good'. Again, not something that breaks the game, but still a noticeable error, and something a quality editor should have caught and fixed by now.

Looking at the official blog and forum posts, it's clear that a multitude of fixes have already been instituted, with many more in the works. As long as that continues, it works for me. In it's current form, PR3 is absolutely playable, and worthy of the 4 stars I gave it. Its solid economics engine, engaging combat, clear and colorful graphics, and interesting storyline will keep me coming back to play until the finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Become an oceangoing mastermind, October 11, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
If you're looking for something different than the long list of shooters for Xbox 360, give Port Royale 3 a shot. It's a mixture of economic sim and ship combat game set in the days of piracy. The merchant and trading stuff is very deep, coming from the guys who did the original port royale games (and Patrician), so it feels very realistic. The sea battles are a fun diversion, it's always fun chasing down pirates. There's an adventurer campaign, in case you don't just want to become a trading powerhouse. In the adventurer campaign, you still have to buy/sell goods, but you also have a storyline that you lead your character through, and the gameplay feels a bit quicker and better paced than just "sail from here to there, sell things, buy things."

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive to strategy game lovers, December 13, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
You start off with a single ship and over the hours and days (real time) you grow more powerful.

There is enough complexity to enjoy the game for extended times without getting furious at playing (until the pirates show up and you aren't prepared)

5 stars for fun because its kept me entertained on many boring nights. 4 stars overall simply because its a very small play world and the details vary very litte within each city. I find myself playing it a bit less, or restarting games just to keep it interesting, but still very good overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than 4 Stars, not quite 5, March 20, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I should not have waited this long to get this game, It has been so much addicting fun. Perhaps it is not for everyone, but if you like games about empire building, trading, and tactics in general, this is a solid game.

The trading aspect of the game is very customizable, albeit it takes some time and practice to master them. I found myself thinking "Why can't I make a certain setting this way?!?!", only to find out that the option was available, I just had to do a bit of digging around in my warehouse. You can set up trading routes, and if you want to get nitty gritty about it, there is an option to plan out the transactions you want your trading fleet to make along the route.

The sea battles are pretty exciting. I liked this aspect of the game very much, although I didn't dig being thrown into the first battle with no idea about controls, etc. Needless to say, I had my butt handed to me a few times before I started winning. Beyond that, combat when boarding ships and attacking settlements is almost completely a numbers game. To beat a heavily guarded settlement, you have to either patrol the port and sink any ships approaching, or you have to attack with wave after wave of your men, until you bring their numbers down. Another thing that is a numbers game is if you automate the sea battles. It is almost guaranteed that whoever has the highest power rating will win the battle.

I found myself playing this game and thinking that there is much room for improvement, but honestly, I find myself thinking that about every game. The most frustrating parts for me were:

- Having to decipher what their little icons mean. They use a lot of icons rather than text, to symbolize things in this game. Holding the left stick down does give a legend, but it is an incomplete one. This is frustrating when dealing with the warehouse, and the side menu of the particular fleet.

- Taking over towns economically is very tedious, but the worst part is that you have no idea how far along on the requirements to do so you are. I found that the easiest way is to build a bunch of houses, businesses, kiss up to the particular faction and the town, and some time in the future I get the choice to take over.

- This game warns you when one of your towns is lacking raw materials (which believe me, is pretty often), but when an enemy is attacking your settlement, there is not a peep about it until it has been ransacked or taken over. Also, you can not send a fleet to reinforce your defenses or anything. You sort of just have to wait the battle out.

That being said, this game is a gem. I eagerly wait and hope for a sequel. This game is not much about story line, although it is as good as you can expect from pretty much every game out there, this game is a multi-layered tactics game that I could not put down for days. Excellent, especially for that price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good game if it's what you're looking for, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360 (Video Game)

I played Kalypso's other recent game Tropico 4 and was pleasantly surprised how accessible yet deep the gameplay was. Port Royale 3 is not as accessible. The training sessions were informative, but the spreadsheets got boring and the battles were also slow. It's somewhat reminiscent of Sid Meier's Pirates remake, but not as fast-paced, which is what I feel drags this game down.

I spent four hours on the game and didn't feel like I accomplished much of anything. I see the potential is there for a great game, but it obviously required a bigger time investment than I was willing to give.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good...., December 17, 2012
Steven S (Washington State) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This game initially seemed overly complex and had a slightly difficult learning curve at first, but then again, it's been awhile since I've played a real time strategy game. Like a lot of long strategy games, I could see how a person could lose interest at a point (I've played about 15 hours so far) but for me this is a fun (if not a little bit tedious) game. If you like strategy games I don't think you can go wrong. If you're not patient and have a short attention span or need constant action then this will probably be far from your cup of tea. The developers did a great job making this game and this should surely stand up to any strategy game ever to hit a console. The graphics are average but don't need to be spectacular. The variety in what you can do helps keep things interesting and I expect this to keep me entertained for many hours.

2.0 out of 5 stars PC gameplay doesn't convert to console, much worse, February 24, 2014
This review is from: Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
As others have said, this really is just a graphical update to Port Royale 2, but the gameplay is actually greatly hindered by trying to put a PC game on a console, which is a shame, because I think it COULD be really amazing and offer so much more to the gameplay (i.e. first person battles, walking around in towns talking to people, exploring new areas in first person with the ease of console controls, etc). The trailer movie seemed to hint at opening new lands to explore, not.

Same towns, same map, same goods, same missions in pretty much the same order, etc. Aside from the graphics, the only real change I noticed was that they've taken away the ability to set up purchasing of individual items by your warehouse, even with a "steward" and several businesses, the only goods my warehouses were able to hold were the items I transferred there from my ship, and it wasn't because the warehouses were selling anything. This bothered me the most since it was my favorite aspect of the previous version of the game (making the money), while my son enjoyed focusing on conquering pirates and completing missions (even this is more difficult on the console, surprisingly).

In short, PC "point and click" games do not just convert to console games. The gameplay ends up being far more cumbersome and tedious to do via a console controller than keyboard and mouse.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, July 21, 2013
This review is from: Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Has glitches that make completing levels and objectives pretty much impossible. Other times, it doesn't register that you've completed a task for a really long time, so you're just stuck in limbo for a couple of hours. Plus, as soon as the game starts getting really fun when you can take on pirates and such, it just ends.

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not that good., June 22, 2013
This review is from: Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Clearly would have been better as a PC game. The controls are clumsy and overall game play is confusing with the tutorial being a video rather than hands on game play learning how to do certain things requiring a great deal of memory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Game is good but not console worthy, August 14, 2014
This review is from: Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Could be better. And way over priced. There are free apps that are the exact same as this. I thought it was have 3D battle scenes, but it is just basically a board game, a fun one, but it isn't something that should ever be a console game. As an app, or a computer game it is good, as a console game I don't like it. Just seems like a waste for the potential of the consoles.

Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants - Xbox 360