1,229 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice (updated)
For $20, this EDUP streaming music device does a pretty good job. I'm using this to stream music from my iphone 5 to my car's stereo. My car has a 3.5mm auxilliary jack and I currently use a long cord to connect the phone to the stereo. It's cumbersome and the wire always gets in the way.

Here's what the EDUP does well: (1) Easy to pair with my iphone 5 (just...
Published 17 months ago by GearJunkie

Published 9 months ago by tonykaz

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice (updated), April 19, 2013
This review is from: Mpow® Portable Bluetooth 3.0 Audio Music Streaming Receiver Adapter with Hands Free Calling and 3.5 Mm Stereo Output (Electronics)

Here's what the EDUP does well: (1) Easy to pair with my iphone 5 (just push the button for about 7 seconds until the lights flash and it's done). (2) Easy to turn on (just hold the button for about 3 seconds until the light flashes and the audio indicator plays over the car's speakers to let you know it's on). (3) Easy to turn off (just push the button for about 5 seconds until the light flashes and the audio tone tells you it's off). (4) Sounds just as good as plugging my phone directly into the auxilliary audio port in my car. (5) Can play and charge at the same time via the 12V power outlet in my car -- I leave it plugged in all the time. (6) Falls asleep to conserve power when not used for about 20 minutes. (7) When a call comes in, I am able to turn on my bluetooth earpiece and the audio switches from the EDUP to my earpiece appropriately. (8) Comes with a short male 3.5mm to male 3.5mm jack (shown in the picture), a male 3.5mm to male 3.5 cable in case the little jack won't physically fit in your car (I prefer the cable because the auxilliary port is in the bottom of the center console of my car, which is tough to reach with all my junk in there -- the cable allows me to put the EDUP on top of the stuff in the center console which is easier to reach), and a short micro USB charging cable.

Here's what could be improved: (1) While the on/off function isn't horrible, it could be easier... maybe toggle between on/off without having to count 3 or 5 seconds depending on which operation you want (seems like the device could figure out that if "I'm currently on and the user is pressing the button, the user wants to me to turn off now")... maybe separate buttons... maybe move the light indicator so it isn't directly on the button (which ends up being under the finger that is pressing the buttons). (2) I'd love it if this would automatically wake up when I turn on the car... maybe it could recognize that power from the 12V outlet is off and go to sleep and then when the power is restored, it could wake up. I realize the EDUP also runs on battery power, so this may not be technically feasible given that it will "always" have some form of power. (3) When I hang-up the bluetooth earpiece after taking a call, it would be awesome if the EDUP would resume playing music. As it is now, the music pauses when I switch over to the earpiece and I have to actually press the "play" button on the phone to get the music to resume after I hang up the earpiece. I think this is probably a function of the phone, not the EDUP, though.

If the EDUP could do #1 on the things on the "to be improved" list, I would have given it 5 stars. If it could everything on my "to be improved" list, I would have given it 5 stars AND I would have been willing to pay an additional $10 or $20 for the device. Other than that, it's a great little device and does what I had hoped it would do.

UPDATED: I started to get really irritated with the "hold the button for 3 seconds to turn on and 5 seconds to turn off" functionality. It seems that I could never get the hang of what 3/5 seconds felt like and it constantly took me 2 or 3 tries to get this thing to turn on/off. I purchased a different bluetooth receiver that doesn't have a battery. With the new receiver, when there's power, it's on. When there's no power, it's off. No on/off switch to deal with. I like it much better for my particular application.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not bad at all!, March 20, 2013
This was a surprisingly good product! I was originally going to buy the HTC version, but that was about $50 dollars. This "generic" version worked just as well. I charged it overnight, popped it into the aux jack in my car, and had my phone connect to it, and BAM. Quality music was able to play for about 6-8 hours straight. The device also turns off automatically once you leave the car for a short period of time. So if you take your phone with you the device is smart enough to just power off. My only gripe is that you have to turn it on every time you get in the car. No problem though, just a short 2 second press on the button. Flashing Blue light means streaming. Flashing Red/Blue light means pairing mode.

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither impressed nor disappointed. Great receiver, not so great hands-free device., December 11, 2013
I am neither impressed nor disappointed with this product. It arrived quickly and was easy to set up just as described. All I had to do pretty much was plug it in, turn it on, and then pair my HTC One SV. So far, so good. I am not bothered in the least by having to hold the button for 3 seconds in order to turn it on. Music sounds just as good as wired connection in my car, without noticeable interference. Battery life is respectable and it notifies me with a beeping noise before it dies to remind me to plug it in. Turns itself off automatically sometime after I leave my car but before the battery dies. Some people are saying about 20 minutes and I believe them. These are the good points of this device.
My experience deviated somewhat on other points that weren't quite working for me as described. First, everytime I turn it on now, I have to go into my phone and tell it to connect. This is extremely frustrating and could possibly be related to my HTC One as much as it is this device. In my experience with bluetooth devices (Some of my work involves setting up and fixing devices that connect wirelessly), certain equipment just seems to work better than others when mated together. Sometimes one has to search to find the combination that works best. This is compounded by my bluetooth headset (Samsung HM7000) that also now doesn't want to connect by itself until it is the only device around. My phone routinely drops either this device or the headset, without notifying me, and they fight for the media audio and phone audio outputs. This never ocurred prior to the addition of the Mpow, despite concurrently having three different model bluetooth headsets. This would be somewhat easier to live with if I used the Mpow exclusively for phone conversation within the car but I have received numerous complaints about poor sound quality by the people that I am talking to. I can hear them through the car speakers but they have a hard time hearing me through the Mpow's microphone. Turning off all the fans and rolling up the windows helps but does not eliminate the problem. One touch calling or answering is dicey in my experience and works about half the time. This is not a big issue for me as it is easier to just press the voice call or answer button on my phone screen, than it is to press the button on this device. I include that simply to illustrate my contention that the description by the seller is a bit optimistic, in my opinion, as to the ease of use for phone calls. These are snags that aren't really deal-breakers for me but definitely detract from my overall user experience.
To sum it up, as a wireless music receiver this thing is great and I would recommend it highly. As a hands-free device to make and receive phone calls without having to dial a number or look at the phone, this device is a nightmare and possibly deserves negative stars for the potential hazards of trying to reconnect the bluetooth stereo receiver at 65 mph in traffic on the freeway after the signal drops. As a result, I gave it a three overall. This is not, as I stated, entirely the fault of this device as my phone plays just as big of a part. They just don't seem to "like" each other, which translates to a headache for me. i am still shopping and eagerly await for the day that I can just get into my car, place my phone on the dock, put on a wireless earpiece, and have both the earpiece for the phone, and stereo for the music, connect without any intervention. If anyone is having that particular experience with their HTC, please let me know what products are working for you. Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet!..., February 23, 2013
Received the item very quickly in the mail (as the seller I had bought from promised)... Used it for 4-1/2 hours straight with no charge and the quality was superb!... I bought this to use with my Sony SRS-P7 passive speakers while in my house and i had ordered one of those Eco Extreme Waterproof Speaker Cases (from Grace Digital) to become my designated outdoor speaker (that i can't wait to get and try out, especially for the beach / river)... Felt I needed to go the Bluetooth route... because, most people that come over are very hesitant about hooking up there smartphones directly to capable audio players / speakers via the aux (3.5mm) input, unlike mp3 players... because trying to separate people from their phones is almost the equivalence of taking somebody off of life support or so it seems... but with this little devices Bluetooth receiver function, all of that becomes remedied!... since anyone can pair up their smartphone and take their hand at playing the DJ (even though everyone I know pretty much listens to internet radio exclusively)... since internet radio is definitely the preferred listening paradigm over anyone's "personal" mp3 player...

All in all, I think this is a sweet device and works just as good as the Miccus Blubridge $40 dollar version (which might just come with a cable or two extra)... which I saw youtube videos on both products and both seemed the same quality wise... but still, I just have to highly recommend that anyone who is looking for a reliable, wireless, and qualified solution (that's much better than any fm transmitter, if your attempting a wireless solution)... to stop, look no further and then order one of these guys!... Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Motorola Roadster replacement, May 16, 2014
Steve P. (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my Motorola Roadster in my car which used FM to transmit audio to the car stereo. This little device gives me much better audio quality (no FM interference) and I don't have to constantly hunt for "open" FM stations.

The battery life is relatively short compared to the Motorola, but that is expected given the smaller size of the Mpow device. Keep a USB car charger handy for this and you are all set.

The device's plastic housing and buttons doesn't feel all that substantial, but as long as it stays plugged into the car's AUX port and I don't get into any horrific car accidents, I think it should hold up fine.

I also have received an incoming call on this device as well. Press the button on the device to answer the call, the music is automatically paused, and I could hear the caller over the car stereo. According to the person on the other end, they could hear me OK using the Mpow's built in mic. It's not the primary reason I bought this, but nice to know it's there.

All-in-all, a great little device for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does not pair with my Ipod touch 5 but great with Iphone 4, March 21, 2014
I have an Iphone 4. I was waiting to rate because I haven't tried one feature yet. I have bluetooth calling in my nissan sentra already but not bluetooth streaming. When I got a call while using the device, I answered with my car button instead of the device. The caller could hear me but it wasn't the greatest call. Next time I"ll answer with the device and see how I like it. Because of so many mixed reviews on similar products, I went with this one because it was cheaper in order to cut down on possible disappointment. Works great and I dont mind holding down the button for however long. What's a few more seconds out of my life. It's great that I can use it and charge it all at the same time too.

Update 30Apr2014-Works great for the most part. I did have to opt out of using the button to answer incoming calls and just use my car's bluetooth answer button and the audio did pause on my Iphone 4. BUT I just recently purchased an Ipod Touch 5 and it does not pair with it. So sad and disappointed that I cannot use it the way I intended (phone paired with cars built in bluetooth, Ipod touch paired with Mpow for audio streaming).

5.0 out of 5 stars works great !, June 9, 2014
Eric A. Anderson (norwalk, ct United States) - See all my reviews
I use this for my ski helmet to listen to music and talkk on the phone. This is an awesome product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for my Matrix Toyota, May 3, 2014
Sony Explode stereo and this is perfect, Iphone and Samsumg already connected with this Bluetooth works as hands free and music is just perfect

5.0 out of 5 stars This little magic trick, November 22, 2013
Exceeded all expectation. Sound quality is crystal clear on my car system and it works flawlessly the first time I plugged it into AUX. great product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont waste your time..., July 7, 2014
I ordered this hoping it would be something better then I hoped, and to my surprise it wasn't. I always had the Bluetooth within 5 feet of the Receiver and it always made a skipping noise. Its like listening to a skipped record player.. Resorted back to using a audio cable and returned this item for a refund.

Rate and Discover Movies