5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of technology.
Published 11 months ago by Vincent J. Maturo

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok sound but poor distance coverage
I was planning on using this in my kitchen when cooking. We have another bluetooth speaker that does the job just fine and was really disappointed when its lost connection was lost after a mere 8 feet from the laptop.
Published 10 months ago by Shane L

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of technology., November 19, 2013
This review is from: Anker® Portable Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker (fully backward compatible) Mini Speaker with 3.5mm Aux Port, Enhanced Bass Boost, Built in Mic Speaker System, 10 Hours Playtime (Personal Computers)
I have several Bluetooth speakers and this is by far the best. I have the Veho m4 which is similar and I thought I liked, well at least until I got this Anker. First off, the sound is excellent. The features and looks are excellent. But I can't believe that this is the first Bluetooth device that actually exceeds the battery life stated. I have a total of seven battery Bluetooth devices and only one did accomplish it's lousy 2 hour stated battery life, all the others fell short. From the size of this speaker I did not really expect it would be possible for it to last ten hours, I was expecting maybe eight hours. When I got it yesterday I topped off the battery, which only took 15 minutes. I started using it non stop since 4:05am and it is now only six minutes from 4:00pm, closing in on 12 hours. I'm waiting for the voice prompt to tell me the battery is low. Pandora still going strong. This is going to make a perfect gift for a friend. And to think that I was hesitant to make this purchase, I'm so glad I did.

Update.......it's now 9:06pm my local time and it has been on non-stop since 4:05am and still it hasn't announced that the battery is low. I would not believe this if it didn't happen to me.I really don't know how this is possible. Every time I hear a lull in the Pandora music, I think that's it, but then the music continues. I've had enough of this test for tonight, tomorrow is another day. Seventeen hours just does not make sense.

Update...... Well I felt like I was in an episode of The Twilight Zone, this speaker was freaking me out. It lasted 22 hours, all Bluetooth on it's very first charge. It just doesn't seem possible, but it did happen. I'm going to do this test again after a few weeks and see what happens. I'm so glad I bought this.

UPDATE.. Nov 11,2014
Got a new Acer C720 Chromebook recently and the Anker speaker would not pair with it. I contacted Anker support and they suggested this...."Please follow the steps below to reset the speaker and pair it to your Chromebook for retry.

1.Please switch on the speaker and meantime press the volume+/- button for about 3 seconds until you hear the beep.
2.Turn off the speaker and go through the pairing procedure again."
Problem solved.
Anker support is EXCELLENT.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent speaker with many unique and powerful features!, June 25, 2013
Length:: 8:55 Mins

Update: 2-18-2014
This is an update to cover the release of the new 4 W cube speaker from Anker. I have replaced the video to cover the new cube speaker.

This is a new speaker release that has a lot of nice features in it. It outputs 4 watts of power and uses Bluetooth 4.0 technology to minimize the battery usage for the Bluetooth data reception. It also features a larger size rechargeable lithium battery that can operate the speaker for 15 to 20 hours of operation depending on the volume level you are using. The speaker is a larger 2 inch driver and you can clearly tell the difference as the music is clearer and the bass is stronger. The battery is specified to be 2100 mAh on the web page but the manual states it is 1800 mAh. The charging time is 5 hours. You can charge the speaker with a USB port of your computer which may take a bit longer or you can use a USB AC wall charger or a USB charger in your car. I even charged mine with an AC wall charger with up to 2.1 amps without any issues. There is a LED beside the charging port that will be red when the unit is charging and it will go off when the charging is completed. When the battery charge gets low the speaker will say "Low Battery" and the LED will flash 10 times every five minutes.

The Bluetooth 4.0 is the latest version of Bluetooth and it is the lower power consumption version. When it is paired to a device it stays connected to the last device it was paired with. The range of the Bluetooth is 33 feet. I go over the Bluetooth pairing process in the video and it was fast and easy to do. I hope it is helpful to you. I got good transmission of music range with line of sight to about 40 feet but shooting through walls I was only getting 8 to 9 feet.

The speaker itself will turn off after 10 minutes of nonuse to conserve battery power. I go over the LED and the controls of the speaker in the video so I will not do it again here and the video is much better at explaining the functions. I want to point out that the speaker is coated with a rubberized textured paint that allows nice grip when carrying the speaker and it is not a fingerprint magnet.

The sound out of this speaker is marvelous and you will hear a few short samples in my video.

The speaker does include a microphone that allows you to make and receive hands free phone calls. I go over receiving an incoming phone call in my video and how it interacts with the music. I also use the speaker to talk to SIRI.

What is in the Box?
* The speaker that weighs in at 11 ˝ ounces
* A 27 inch Micro USB to USB charging cable
* A 27 inch auxiliary cable 3.5 mm stereo plugs
* A brief instruction manual
* A velour carrying bag

I rated this new speaker as a 5 star product. I liked it a lot and I recommend it to you.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised a fair and honest review.

+++++++++++++

Original written review of the round speaker:

This is a Bluetooth speaker that uses the latest Bluetooth technology available and it is backward compatible with the older Bluetooth releases. If your device does not have Bluetooth then don't worry as the speaker will accept input from a 3.5 mm audio cable that is supplied with the unit. It is a good travel or home speaker for any device with Bluetooth or with an audio output jack like an iPhone.

Inside of the box you will find;
* A beautifully designed and stylish speaker
* A charging cable that is 33 inches long
* An Audio Auxiliary cable that is 51 inches long
* An instruction manual

The speaker has:
* An on/off switch
* Auxiliary audio line input jack
* A DC charging port which is a Micro USB jack to allow you to charge the speaker's battery with 5 VDC
* A microphone input port/hole to allow you to use the speaker as a hands free phone accessory
* A set of forward and reverse switches to allow you to skip or forward or back on your songs you are playing.
* A play pause button which is also used to pair the speaker to your Bluetooth device. This process is shown in my video.
* And a volume up and down button to allow you to adjust the speaker's output volume.
* Bluetooth 4.0 which allows for faster and lower energy connections.
* A rechargeable lithium ion battery that provides 8 to 10 hours of music playing time. It also provides 12 hours of talk time and 1500 hours of standby time.
* You can charge the battery with your computer's USB port or any AC USB wall charger that you own.

The speaker is so intelligent that it actually speaks to you and tells you what is going on with it and it tells you when it is on or off and when it is connected. This is really a powerful feature. When you plug in the charging cable the LED ring around the speaker flashes red and when the speaker is fully charged the LED ring turns blue. In my attached video I show all of this and also how to pair the speaker to your smart device via Bluetooth. Pairing the speaker was fast and easy, especially with the speaker talking to you and telling what is going on. This is a cool feature and it makes set up very easy. This is a very unique concept.

In my video I play some music to show you the speaker's volume. Please be aware that the volume output of the speaker depends on the volume setting of the speaker and of the volume setting of your smart device.

When I pressed the + volume button of the speaker for a few seconds the voice control function of my iPhone activated and I could use voice commands to call people in a hands free mode. This function worked perfectly and I can hear the caller's voice over the speaker and they could clearly hear me via the speaker's built in microphone.

While this speaker is spectacular in its features and its unique concepts I rated it at 4 stars. The reason for this is that the volume output of the speaker is not as loud as many of the other speakers that I have tested and reviewed. The volume is good but noticeably lower. I even compared its volume to other speakers to verify my impression of the sound volume. The sound quality is excellent but in an outdoor environment with a lot of surrounding noise it may not be loud enough for your listening preferences.

4.0 out of 5 stars This speaker may wake you up at night, September 13, 2013
Everything is ok except this speaker will keep saying "Battery low" when its internal battery running low. This is annoying when I use this it to play soft music while sleeping at night. I can't find a way to disable that feature.

4.0 out of 5 stars An example of "How'd they do that!" and "Why'd they do that?", September 30, 2013
Amazon Customer (Sierra Nevada, CA) - See all my reviews
This little hand-held speaker sounds just amazing. The quality that comes out of this thing defies its size. "How'd they do that?!"
But then there is the "why'd they do that?" When you turn it on, a LOUD female voice yells, "POWER ON!!!! CONNECTED!!!!"
And when you disconnect the bluetooth connection, she yells "DISCONNECTED!!!"
Then when the battery is low, she yells "BATTERY LOW!!!"
One more "why?" is the rather bright, flashing blue LED while the power is on. Rather distracting. A steady, soft glow would have been a better choice.
I really wish the design could have been a little more discrete than this.
Finally, the bluetooth connection distance is a little puny. About line-of-sight for about 20 ft. is all it will do.
But the sound!!! I can put up with these idiosyncrasies because it sounds so darn good.
Anker, the next version needs to be quieted down and you'll have it nailed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 2/2/14
I was looking for a second bluetooth speaker for my workshop. I listened, I purchased and I returned a number of them, including a few mainstream brands.
When it all comes down to it, for my picky audio hearing, this Anker is the best sub $50 speaker you can buy. Period.
So guess what will be my second speaker? After all that looking, it was right under my nose, er, ears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but get the $49 JBL instead, I say........., December 11, 2013
Have been reading the other reviews posted, and felt compelled to log my comments/review as well, as I do have a slightly different take on this speaker. Had I received it without already having a competing product at home, I may very well have agreed with the five star rating folks seem to have been giving this unit.
However, when I compared it directly with my JBL Micro Wireless Portable Bluetooth speaker, the differences were clear: better bass and clearer mids/highs with the JBL. Now, to be clear - the JBL was $49, another $20 or so more. An added bonus is the JBL is remarkably small, and thus more portable. How it creates it's sound I don't get, but it is surprisingly clean, loud (louder than the Anker), and with generous bass.
Lastly, the Anker has phone capabilities....but folks this ain't no proper speakerphone, other than in a pinch.
Hope this review helps....

Update to my above review:
I am updating my review to four stars from three, based on what i consider rare customer service. Anker contacted me regarding my above review to understand my concerns and to offer possible solutions. We can count on one hand generally the number of companies this dedicated to their customers (Amazon comes to mind, as does Zappos and a very few others).

5.0 out of 5 stars Advanced Speaker Features Undeniable Stamina, June 20, 2013
Bluetooth Low Energy 4.0 is a new standard that allows this device to last for--up to--more than twenty-four hours in the on position. The days of worrying about toggling power are over. These conditions can occur during normal use when thereafter the speaker is left on and the connected device is clicked off or leaves range. Upon return there still may be plenty of life depending on use (speaker left on at top volume).

Striking, high-quality looks are from a combination of the light-twisting, shiny grille and glossy black sides. It's slightly more than one-third of the size of a venti-sized Starbuck's coffee. Weighing in at 5.86 ounces, it's just a bit heavier than the 3.95 ounce iPhone 5 and the 4.86 ounce Galaxy S4. Easy grip and handling for walking around a home is facilitated by the glass-like shape. Tablet's are hard to handle when holding a larger and awkwardly-shaped speaker in the other hand.

The speaker sounds excellent for it's size and is loud enough to fill a decent-sized room. It is too loud in a small room at top volume. No distortion occurs when using in my preferred "treble" mode and it retains enough warmth via bass. It's about ninety-percent distortion-free in the "normal" mode. There is some distortion when listening to bass-heavy songs in the "bass" mode. All tests were completed at top volume on both the speaker and the connected device.

Pros:

-Worry-free price tag for travel.
-Best battery life imaginable in 2013
-Cleverly-designed, diminutive glass-like shape is well-suited for grab-and-go.
-Completely rubberized bottom provides solid stance on any surface (no tiny glued-on rubber legs to come loose).
-Includes a four-foot 3.5 mm high-quality cord with gold-plated ends, of which, can cost more than $10 at Staples.

Cons:

-Some distortion in bass mode.
-Requires iOS 6 or higher for battery-indicator in iOS status bar. It activates in a normal, backward compatible-manner with all other devices.
-Individual steps (presses) for each volume level on speaker (use connected device's volume in a fluid up and down manner).

Feature Ratings:

-Speaker Phone Clarity (three test calls with both parties using iPhone 5's): 9
-Top Volume Level: 8.5 (impressive for size)
-Bluetooth Connections (dropping, clicking and range): 10 (has not dropped with original iPad).
-Size and Portability: 10
-Bass (on "treble" mode): 4 (deep-enough to carry speaker, however, not table-rocking)
-Treble (on "treble" mode): 9 (not tinny)
-Mid-Range (on "treble" mode): 8
-Battery-Life: 10
-Design-Quality: 9

Overall Rating (Average of above): 8.6/10

Verdict:

The Anker has become my go-to, on-all-day iPad speaker with superior range. Uniquely-grippable portability results from it's small, round shape and footprint. I enjoy using "treble" mode on top volume--at all times---while toggling volume on my connected device. Using it exclusively with an iPad has allowed me to regularly leave the buttons alone (touching it only for movement). This may contribute to the outstanding battery life that I experience.

My iPad is the original version and doesn't support iOS6 or Bluetooth 4.0. I don't miss the battery status bar that I can see on my iPhone 5 (with iOS 6). The lack of Bluetooth 4.0 on the iPad doesn't stop this attractive little speaker that just won't die.

This unit was provided to me for a fair review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok sound but poor distance coverage, January 1, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Surpisingly good with one flaw, October 21, 2013
This little speaker produces surprisingly good sound without distortion. It even has enough bass to satisfy most people. I love how it has separate buttons for volume and track. You don't know how much better than others that has combined buttons which requires you to hold the vol+ or - to skip track. The design is very slick looking and it hides the speaker drum between the unit so no need to worry about breaking it. This charges via microUSB which is awesome. Has ON/OFF switch. This speaker should get a 5 stars from me. BUT..

At first I like the voice prompts but not until i brought it to work. The voice prompts are too loud and these is no way to lower it or turn it off. I have to take a star off for that. If not for the voice prompt this would have been a perfect little speaker.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works well for 1 week - and then it DIES., January 11, 2014
This product is wonderful - and then it becomes UTTERLY USELESS after 1 week!

After 2 days, the product wouldn't turn OFF anymore. The blue light was always on, and after a week of that, wouldn't hold its battery charge. Product now only lasts for one song on blue tooth after a full charge... but I don't even use it on bluetooth anymore, because it always came with a high pitch sound on top of muffled music.... Literally the WORST combination of sound you can ask for in speakers.

The only time it works well is when it is actually plugged into the audio device - but that's probably not the reason why you would be paying for a BLUETOOTH device, right?

I also contacted the company, and their only response was how to TURN ON the item, when I clearly specified the item does not turn OFF. Useless speakers, useless customer service.

Don't bother buying this item!!!!! Yes the reviews are good, but they are all probably from people who didn't wait long enough before reviewing!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than perfect for the price, July 19, 2014
This little speaker is awesome. I bought it because niether my roommates nor my laptop was loud enough when trying to watch shows. Got this, set up with bluetooth and I was able to actually hear over the chewing of his potato chips. I've been using it for about a month now. It's really nice to take on bike rides with friends, and the battery lasts so long that you never really have to worry about it dying. I don't own cargo shorts, but it looks like it's probably small enough to fit in one of the lower pockets, so portability is great. I usually just throw it in my bag I have for the day.

My friends car only has a radio, so we used this instead, It's not as loud as a car's speakers obviously so you'll have to have the windows rolled up to hear it perfectly over the wind and traffic. Finding new uses for this everyday, great to use in the bathroom during a shower. My friends and I are thinking about setting up outdoor or rooftop movies and using this guy for the sound.

The sound quality is what you would expect for the price, if you max it out it'll begin to sound distorted, but really if you're an audiophile there are much better things to pick up, but they'll be much costlier. This guy suits my needs without crushing my wallet.