5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bang for the Buck

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Garbage
Published on July 6, 2011 by Debra R. Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bang for the Buck, April 8, 2011
lin (Dallas, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Portable Hammock by Guide Gear Camping & Patio Hammock (Sports)
I love hammocks but we simply didn't have the necessary tree arrangement to have a traditional one. I started researching stand alone hammocks and was dismayed when I realized I was going to be spending easily $200-300 for just the stand! As beautiful as they were, I was looking to spend much less. I just wanted to be able to lay out in our backyard with a good book on a nice day. These portable folding hammocks were my next option, and this is by far the best one I've found for the price.

Other similar products are more like camping cots. This one actually swings like a proper hammock. I ordered two of these directly from SportsmanGuide and had no problems. It was on backorder but came in much sooner than anticipated! Shipping was very reasonable considering the odd shape and weight. It was very easy to set up, and feels sturdy. It doesn't require any brute force, back breaking, or sweat to set up/take apart. Anyone (not just strong men!) can easily break it down and have it ready to carry off in less than one minute, and then have it set up and ready to rock again in another minute. It may not have the attractiveness of some of the stand alone hammocks, but the portability is great! We actually have one set up inside the house and everyone loves it! It's very comfortable, and the mesh keeps it cool in the summer. I can't imagine going on any future camping trips without it. (Note: There is a product video on the SportsmanGuide website. I'm mentioning it because it helped me in my purchasing decision.)

Problems I've Come Across:
The first time we set them up, we needed a bit of force, but after that it became ridiculously easy. One of the four holes where the locking pegs are inserted is slightly misaligned. I don't know if it's just ours, but both the units I ordered had this problem. It made the initial set up a little harder, but once we got the peg through once, we didn't have any trouble from it again. Also, if you happen to be very light like me (<100lbs), you might not "sink in" nearly as much so that the hammock lays flatter and doesn't curl around your body. This will require you to have a bit more finesse in order to stay balanced if you shift around. Also the zipper broke on one of the carry bags as we pulled it out of the packaging box. Admittedly we were a little too excited and probably didn't pull it out very gently, but be aware it's not the sturdiest zipper. :)

Update: After a little over a year of loving abuse, one of our units is starting to come apart at one point on the seams (right about where everyone's butt lays). It's still very functional and holding together well, but we are now being more gentle with it as one good forceful pull will likely rip it apart. It's been about a month since I noticed it, and it doesn't appear to be getting any worse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but larger people, take care before buying, May 4, 2011
As everyone else pointed out, the frame is very well built, and the bag it comes in is a bit flimsy. My one complaint, was that it has 225 pound weight limit- not 250 as the product description points out. It's right on the tag on the hammock. The frame may hold 250 pounds, but the hammock does not. I'm about 230, and have yet to break it, but just throwing that information out there for any heavier folks. Also note that the product comes with no literature other then what is written on the hammock tag. It's pretty idiot proof to put together though.

One other note, it's not that great for taller guys either. I'm 5'11, and my feet almost dangle off a bit. But for the price, you can't go wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Garbage, July 6, 2011
We ordered this hammock as a Father's Day gift for my husband. He opened it and set it up for about an hour. Initially all looked good. He then folded it to put it back into the carry bag and had the top rip off the bag as well as one of the handles. The next day the hammock was again set up. After about 2 hours of use the hammock itself began to fall apart at the seams. Contacted Sportsman's guide for a replacement. Was told no problem, plenty in stock. Ship back to them same day only to wait for replacement. After 2 weeks, called them again to find out that it has been backordered until OCTOBER. Absolutely unacceptable. I cannot believe that they didn't even have the courtesy to notify us. I'm told that they will not substitute another product. Would not do business with them again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for our hammock needs, April 9, 2012
I had searched Amazon for a while to find a good portable hammock. I needed something that I could set up on our apartment patio so it had to be small enough to fit and easy enough to put together. After reading reviews I decided to check out the video on the sportsman website (as another reviewer mentioned) and I decided to take the plunge. I am glad I did. Although I am fairly tall (just over 6 ft) I can still lay comfortably on the hammock. After the initial setup (which took slightly longer because one of the holes was misaligned, also as mentioned by another reviewer) the setup becomes very easy. I am now able to setup or put away the hammock in less than a minute - its that easy. The material seems decent quality and I do like the mesh fabric of the hammock as it allows for airflow. It is a true hammock in that it can sway from side to side which is very nice. It comes with a carrying case and I plan to take it to the park one of these days, set it up and relax. I have been using it regularly on my patio to do some reading and tanning and I am very happy with my purchase.
Right now I'm considering purchasing a second hammock so I don't have to fight my wife to use it as the weather gets nicer. If you are in a similar situation and need a nice portable hammock I highly recommend this one. The price is very competitive as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was a little worried, but I Love it., June 6, 2011
I searched around for a while for a portable hammock, read all the reviews and chose this one for the price. It's awesome. I took it camping at Angel Fire this weekend and there were several hour-long naps taken in it by many friends. Swings nicely, folds up easily, and is comfty. I don't regret the cheaper choice at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a compact, quickly assembled and disassembled hammock, May 31, 2011
This is a great hammock for the amount you are paying. I paid less than 50 bucks for the hammock and shipping. I received it very quickly and had it out of the box and assembled in less than 5 minutes. It kind of unfolds itself, you insert four pins, and then you add one end of the hammock to each hook and there you go!

1.0 out of 5 stars Tore up on first use, March 29, 2013
I'm a light guy, around 150 lb. No matter. Didn't last any.

Sportsman's Guide was great. They immediately shipped me a replacement canvas, which immediately tore up, on the 2nd use.

Both ripped right on the center seam. Bad design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it!!, March 15, 2012
Ordered it hoping it would at least get me through this camping season. When it came in the mail we all gathered in the living room and opened it. Amazing purchase! It's sturdy, has nice material and actually sways like a real hammock! Set up is a snap!! The kids love it and to keep from arguing over who gets to lay in it on our upcoming camping trip to the beach I just ordered two more!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Easy assembly / portability....questionable stitching, May 7, 2012
I actually have this setup in my dining room at the moment :) I was hoping in the summer to read a book and what not outdoors and such. I was hoping the supports would all have more protection but only the ends do so you wouldnt want to put on the concrete and scratch those support bars I would think (I was hoping to avoid getting it overly dirty :) )
Regards, the quality seems good and the portability is legit with the carrying case and easy (dis)assembly.
I had a bed that the stitching was coming loose but contacted customer service is sending me a replacement.
Its rated for 225 lbs.
The bed is a great shape and its comfortable. Deploying and collapsing literally take just seconds.

UPDATE actually Customer Service sent me what is glaringly a returned bed...how do i know? I think there was pet hair on it and there is an embroidered dongle with a family name on it!?
Stitching in some areas suspect on this too.

Update: With a few obscure uses, the stitching has failed in MULTIPLE spots. Pretty disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Expected and Paid For, November 23, 2011
This hammock is exactly what I was expecting and paid for.

1. Comfort - This is no Tucci hammock but I didn't have $300 to spend on a Tucci either. It is great for laying on my patio while reading. It has a nice amount of swing to it and is sturdy enough so that I can turn and adjust myself without feeling like I am going to tip over. I have fallen asleep in it several times in the last month.

2. Portability - Folds up into a carrying case that I (a 135lb woman) can strap to my back and take along easily. Fits into the back of my Yaris without a problem. Some reviewers have mentioned that it was not meant for the elements but I think that should have been a no brainer. It is a portable hammock - you wouldn't leave a portable beach chair outside for a month either.

3. Value - I paid $40 for this plus $10 for shipping. I thought this was a great deal especially compared to the fact that a sturdy portable chair would be $20-$25 anyway. It stores easily in my apartment closet but fits on my patio or for a day out on the beach.

All in all, if you're expecting a soft, luxurious hammock like one you'd find at the Ritz Carlton Key West, then you're in the wrong place. But if you're looking for a great alternative to a traditional hammock because you don't have the space or want portability - this is a great deal.

Portable Hammock by Guide Gear Camping & Patio Hammock