4.0 out of 5 stars Portal 2 - Creative and Loads of Fun!
Portal 2 really has it all. The characters are likable, the story line is engaging and intriguing, and the game play requires you to use your brain. Having played Portal 1, I can say that in my opinion this game is better.

Published on April 19, 2011 by DMK

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Dialogue, Ok Gameplay
Portal 2 was a pretty fun game the first time through playing it, but it has absolutely no replay value. I beat the game in about 6 hours, maybe a little less, and the one thing that really stood out from this game had to be the dialogue. Now I could barely contain my laughter throughout most of this game, just because how awesome the dialogue was, but that's really one...
Published on July 1, 2011 by Toku

4.0 out of 5 stars Portal 2 - Creative and Loads of Fun!, April 19, 2011
DMK (Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Portal 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)

I have to start with Wheatley. This character is voiced by Stephen Merchant, who is from The Ricky Gervais Show and An Idiot Abroad. He's hilarious in his own right, and he voice acts Wheatley to perfection. You can't overstate just how much Stephen Merchant's voice talents lend to the success of this title.

Depending on your ability to solve the puzzles quickly, Portal 2 will give you anywhere from 10-13 hours of game play with a single player play through. There's more, though! Portal 2 has a co-op mode, so you and a friend can take on the Portal 2 landscape together, which is a lot of fun. The downside of all puzzle games, of course, is that the replay value is relatively low. That shouldn't disuade anyone from purchasing this game, though. It's that much fun.

The puzzles are definitely challenging and require you to think, but they're not unreasonable to the point you want to quit in frustration.

I gave it a 4 out of 5 overall due to the replay value not being high. This should not take away from the game itself in any way. It was handicapped from the get go just due to the genre. Had they added the ability for users to create and upload their own puzzles to the rest of the Portal 2 community, this game would get a solid 5 out of 5 from me.

Portal 2 is a great game worthy of your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated humor! Finally!, April 22, 2011
Peter M. Reed (Deep California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Portal 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I know a lot of people are going to write excellent reviews about game play etc. I wanted to make a quick note about how outstandingly funny this game is. The comedic writing is excellent throughout, the timing and general performances (from Stephen Merchant in particular, but the whole cast too) are spot on and I have been laughing out loud while playing the game on my own. I never laugh when I'm alone.

The game is rated E for everyone, but I'm pretty sure that some of the jokes might go slightly over a 8 year-old's head. That is a huge plus in my book. I have played a few other Xbox360 games that were supposedly funny (Battlefield Bad Company 1 + 2 for example), and they left me cold. Juvenile this game is not.

So yeah: Challenging puzzles, original and hilarious writing. What more could you ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, April 19, 2011
This review is from: Portal 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I've only played the 2 player, but I'll update after I finish the single player campaign:

Wow, just wow. When I got this game, the first thing I did with a pal was tear into the coop. This is one of the freshest, most original games in a long time. Having 4 portals is just insane. The map is divided into what are essentially "worlds" connected to a large hub, and you select which you want to go in. At first my friend and I were worried because we were flying through it, but suddenly right in the middle of world 2 we had to slow waaaay down and really think it through. It only gets harder from there, but never unbearable. Glados also keeps the mood up with constant cracks at the players, so just when you start to get frustrated, she'll say something to make you laugh.

CONCERNING CAMPAIGN LENGTH: I have 3 sections left in what is the last "world", but it's safe to say that the coop campaign length clocks in at roughly 7 hours.

There are a multitude of fps's released so far this year and most of them feel very much like you've played them before. If you want a truly unique experience, pick this up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game! Beware if you Suffer From Motion Sickness!, May 4, 2011
This review is from: Portal 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I am really enjoying this game. The puzzles are challenging and game play is fun. Beware though if you have issues with motion sickness. I can only get through about 20 minutes of gameplay before I get queasy. Online, I found many people suffering from the same problem. It has not stopped me from playing!

4.0 out of 5 stars My ten year old son can't stop playing it, May 19, 2011
Keefo (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Portal 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm writing this review for my ten year old son. I bought the game as a surprise gift for him a couple of weeks ago. He typically jumps from game to game, playing an hour of this, then an hour of that. Since he unwrapped Portal 2, he hasn't touched any other game. He keeps saying, "It's the best present ever!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Especially the humor., May 9, 2011
This review is from: Portal 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Creative, entertaining and extremely funny. I wish there were more games like this for the Xbox. Unfortunately, it seems that they all involve massive amounts of blood and gore instead of thought provoking puzzles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Perfect, April 20, 2011
This review is from: Portal 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This game is perfect in every single way.

First of all, there is the level of detail, valve has always been good at attention to detail and compelling stories, but Portal 2 really takes the, well . . . cake.

Then there's the humor, nothing has ever made me laugh as hard as Portal 2's Black Humor. There's GLaDOS's psychotic and vengeful taunts, Wheatley's moronic problem solving, and Cave Johnson's hilarious pre-recorded testing introductions. I really want to know who they hired to write all this humor, so I can tell them they aren't getting paid enough.

And finally there is the fun, and let me tell you, there is a lot of it to be had. The puzzles are challenging and really make you stop and think. I just couldn't stop once I started, it was far too enjoyable. They actually managed to improve the game-play from the last Portal and I didn't even think that was possible.

Valve has really outdone themselves with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Portal 2 is twice the creativity, April 19, 2011
This review is from: Portal 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Portal 2 is one of the best puzzle games I played in a long time. The puzzle are way trickier than the first game and twice as fun. The single player and co-op mode are two separate campaigns with different characters and puzzles. You could probably rack around 7 hours of each campaign which gives you a total of 14 hours of fun. Co-op mode is very easily played even with players that you don't know or without a mic. There are button commands that tell your partner what and when to do certain things. The puzzles are hard but not frustrating that will make you break your controller. The graphics are easily very eye catching with a very nice environmental feel to it. The voice acting is one of the best things for this game as there are over 1000 lines that are said in this game. There are plenty of humorous moments that will make you giggle when trying to figure out the puzzle. Valve did an extremely good job on making this game. The only flaw I see is the length of the game but everything else is very well done.
Graphics-9/10
Sound-10/10
Length-8/10
Gameplay-9/10

Overall, I highly suggest that you get this game and no questions asked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but short, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Portal 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
The sequel to the critically acclaimed game from 2007, Portal 2 continues its predecessor's tradition of clever puzzles and witty writing. The basic game play remains unchanged from the first game; reach the exit of each room by creating portals to solve puzzles. However, the different items added to this game greatly expand on the variety of puzzles that are possible. These items include such things as different types of gels, lasers, and catapults, all of which can completely change how you would seek out a solution. Thus, the game feels fresh, and never starts to just feel like a retread of the original.

Once again, the game's writing is fantastic. The dialogue is witty and incredibly funny. It almost acts as an encouragement to keep going, as players will likely be motivated to continue playing just to hear more of it. While the original Portal only contained spoken dialogue from the character of GLaDOS, the sequel expands on the cast of characters, with fantastic results. Especially noteworthy is a stand out performance by J.K. Simmons as the eccentric former CEO of Aperture Science.

In addition to the standard single player game, Portal 2 also includes a cooperative multiplayer campaign. This can be played both online, and with two people on a single console through the use of a split screen.

The only real flaw to this game is its noticeably short length. Depending on an individual's puzzle solving ability, the single player game can be completed in as little as five to ten hours. The multiplayer mode certainly adds to the game's play time considerably, but even then the game is unusually short for a full priced retail game. Added to that is the fact that there is little replay value once you finish the game, as you will already know the solutions to each puzzle. Even so, I can't help but still recommend the game. While it may only last you a dozen hours, it will be one of the most enjoyable dozen hours you'll have spent playing a video game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Use Your BRAIN!, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Portal 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
If you're going to buy your child a game, it should be a game like. Mentally stimulating, visually appealing, and humorous. Portal 2 is a 3D puzzle: engaging enough to keep a strategist and a gamer satisfied.

Portal 2 - Xbox 360
Portal 2 - Xbox 360 by Valve (Xbox 360)
$29.99 $19.49