Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Mudcrutch nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

86%
14%

on May 11, 2011
For those who want the short review, it is quite simple: buy this guide. As to why, that will take a few more words. If you are not familiar with Future Press and their guides and you are a fan of any of the games they have made guides for in the last few years, do yourself a favor and buy one. The Portal 2 guide is their latest effort and it maintains the already stellar level of craftsmanship they have used with their previous guides. With an academic textbook level of information about the Portal 2 universe, this guide thoughtfully lays out each level with a very unique spoiler prevention system that allows the reader to decide carefully how much help they need. Since the joy of Portal 2 is primarily found in solving the puzzles, this retention of the core game's dynamic is key. However, after you have completed Portal 2 for the first time, the fun continues with trying to improve your times through each puzzle. This is where the guide will pay off the most. As with their Killzone guides, Future Press has given the player a multitude of data and insight into each level and has painstakingly broken it down so he or she can complete the game to its fullest. As I said earlier, this guide has an academic textbook feel to it because it encourages the reader to learn the game and to master it and gives you all the information you will need to be the proverbial top of your class. As an added bonus, the guide provides you with a complete written history of the Portal universe and how it ties to Valve's Half-Life. With beautiful illustrations and Future Press' ingenious code system that allows you to unlock extra content and videos on their website after you register your guide online, I can't imagine a more complete guide. All competitors should take note. If you are a collector, you love games, and/or you want to master Portal 2, I recommend this guide with my highest of recommendations.

NOTE: This review is based on the collector's edition. However, the bulk of what I have described in this review can be found in the equally well-crafted paperback edition which is more readily available (and cheaper) in North America. If you can acquire the collector's edition without breaking the bank, I don't think you will be disappointed.
on June 2, 2011
I got Future Press on my radar with the Bayonetta Guide; that was when I discovered a strategy guide that actually made it worth it to spend money despite all the websites loaded with game information (Gamefaqs, IGN Guides, etc). These things are loaded with amazing amounts of useful information from people who truly know the game. Further the art and factoids actually expand the experience, not detract from it. I chose to read this guide after I had beat both the regular and co-op campaigns. It was worth it.

There's not anything even close to comparison to these guides. If you love games, and Future Press is making a guide for your game, you should pre-order it. There are two downsides to these guides:

1) They will ruin you for all other guides. You soon realize how much BS you put up with. You'll never want to read a meaningless table again.
and
2) They make far too few of these guides. If I had my way they'd make them for everything, hopefully Valve keeps them around for Half Life 3 in the year 3074.
on April 6, 2016
Really like this guide. It's extremely comprehensive.

Future Press has a different (and for me, much better) approach to game strategy guides. In short, the guide is designed and written in a manner that allows the reader to decide how much information - help they want.

So you get the guidance you desire coupled with the amount of "figure it out yourself" you want. If you want all the answers to getting through the game, you have it; if you prefer mastering the game through your own wits, with the occasional assist when you're truly stuck, you have that also, specific guidance without unnecessary spoilers

I purchased from Sierra Nevada Books. Book was in superb condition, exactly as described.
on January 24, 2014
This book is extremely useful for those who want to beat Portal 2 and gain all the achievements. Also very informational on the development of the game!
on March 28, 2013
I liked it because I enjoy solving crossword and other problem solving games.
I would like more Games like this as soon as possible!
on February 3, 2013
This was a gift to my wife for x-mas. She is very into these types of games with puzzles and challenges.
on June 25, 2015
Awesome game, and now there's even a wonderful Zen Pinball FX2 table based on it!
on July 6, 2011
I'm picky when it comes to computer games. I don't want something that's so difficult that I give up on it yet I do want some degree of challenge. For me, it has to be a combination of fun and make me use my mind without being frustrating. This game is just that. In addition to providing the player with increasingly complex challenges and an environment that allows the player to bend reality, it also has downright funny villains! Some of the dialog is so hilarious that I had to go back and play a level over again just to have another laugh!

Great fun, entertaining and engrossing enough to keep you busy for many hours without feeling like you can't get any further. My kind of game.
on November 19, 2015
Seems like a comprehensive players guide.
on August 9, 2015
Challenging puzzle, good replay value.