on December 26, 2006
I have had these nail guns for several years. I purchased the set without the staple gun for $299. This is an incredible bargain and you will find thousands of uses for these nail guns. I use the 18 gauge nailer the most to assist with glue ups. I have never had a jam with any PC nail gun that I use. (knock on wood) The compressor is a little loud for my tastes. If you will use this in an enclosed area like a basement, I suggest making a cabinet for it to muffle the sound. Fine Woodworking magazine - Tools & Shops annual issue- on page 106 gives an illustration of how to make one. It works.

December 7, 2008 Update: I have used my compressor for endless hours. I drain the compressor before and after each use. I have yet to experience any problems after all these years.

Update: 1-9-09: I still am completely satisfied with this tool kit. I have yet to have any problems from the compressor or nail guns.
Bobby Stanley
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2008
I bought this combo kit at Home Despot a couple of weeks after Thanksgiving 2007 because I was in a jam at work and needed a set of pneumatic nailers and a compressor ASAP. (We had no pneumatic tools at the time and found ourselves borrowing constantly.) I wanted to spend less than $300 but still have a compressor that I could use to run a framing nailer (in a very limited setting) if needed. I had little knowledge about compressors (especially the pros and cons of an oiled compressor versus a "maintenance free" compressor) at the time, and being in a time crunch, narrowed my decision to this set and the Bostitch set of the same components down the street at Blowe's. The specs were virtually the same and both sold for $299. At that point I probably would have gone with the Bostitch kit because a 7 year warranty versus Porter-Cable's 1 year warranty was a no-brainer, but the Despot was offering a free 23 ga. Pin Nailer (the Porter-Cable PIN100) with the purchase of the CFNBNS combo package. I thought I had made myself a great deal, especially when I discovered that I could run a Bostitch F28WW framing nailer on the included C2006 compressor, firing a half-dozen or so nails a minute without a problem.

I know other reviews have commented that the compressor is too noisy, but as someone who always wears all his PPE, including hearing protection, the noise really doesn't bother me. As long as the compressor worked, I didn't see that as a point to complain about for the price. My first actual complaint about the compressor is that from the beginning, I found the tank drain valve hard to turn. Many compressors are made with the screw-like turning valve, but this one required extra effort to turn it in either direction.

In January, after only 60 or 70 actual hours of use, the safety pop-off valve began to engage every time you turned on the compressor to let it air up. Right before it reached 150 PSI, the safety would engage, causing you to lose most of the air pressure you just built up. I had to manually override the valve and push it back in before the pressure dropped so much that you virtually had to start over. After playing with it several times, I finally got the compressor to fully air without engaging the valve, but this quickly became part of the morning start-up routine. Very annoying.

After roughly 80 hours of use, the motor began to freeze or seize up when the compressor engaged to rebuild air pressure. I'd have to turn it off quickly and wait an hour or so before it would function again. The compressor was only ever used indoors, so always in a "room temperature" environment. As the service technician who eventually examined my compressor would tell me, "There's a reason we don't make oil-free cars." I was starting to understand why "maintenance free" wasn't such a good idea after all.

Finally, in February, with maybe only 100 hours of run time on the compressor, the drain valve finally failed altogether, refusing to fully seat in either direction/position, even when "helped" by a pair of vice grips. This forced me to bring the compressor into a local repair shop for warranty service since a compressor which can't hold air is quite useless on the job.

Much to my dismay, the service tech let me peek into the back just to see the shocking number of these "oil free" and "maintenance free" compressors awaiting repair. I was informed that if my compressor lasted 100 hours, then it had lasted "99 hours longer than it did for most people." They would repair it for free, or course, but guaranteed that I'd have to bring it back again for repair before the 1 year warranty period ended. As this was the only compressor we had, I had no other choice but to spend money on a real compressor that wouldn't break every couple of months, as we can't afford the down time. I settled on a Hitachi EC12 (which has 1/4 turn ball bearing style valves for the tank drain) for $205 as our permanent replacement (based on borrowing one for a few weeks and being extremely satisfied), but I'll keep using the Porter-Cable compressor until it dies when the warranty expires.

The guns, of the whole, have worked fine. I can set the regulator on 90 PSI, adjust the depth setting on each gun, and work away. Sometimes the depth adjustment takes several test firings to figure out the right setting, but that's just part of getting used to the tool. I've been very satisfied with the individual guns themselves that come with this combo even though I would never recommend this combo package to another person.

The compressor problems alone justify knocking this product down to 3 stars, but I have a few more gripes. First, the 1 year warranty is absurd, especially when their leading competitor, Bostitch, will warrant everything for 7 years. It's pretty much making a public declaration that our products are cheaply made and will quickly fail. Second, the poor compressor locks you into a situation where you will have to buy another compressor - not only due to failure - but if you ever want to expand your pneumatic tool collection beyond just some small finish guns. I know this complaint is not unique to Porter-Cable, but it seems much more consumer-friendly if they would just sell the guns as a combo and let the consumers choose the proper compressor for their needs (or, alternatively, sell the same combo, but with an oiled compressor that won't fail so easily; ever wondered why all these finish nailer combos come with cheap "maintenance free" compressors?). And finally, third, make sure you look closely at the maximum fastener sizes for these guns. The finish nailer does go up to 2-1/2", but the other two included guns short-change you when compared to the other Porter-Cable models. In other words, the narrow crown stapler maxes out at 1" and the brad nailer maxes out at 1-1/4", even though Porter-Cable makes models that go up to 1-1/2" and 2", respectively. The cost difference is minimal (and might make no difference to you depending on your needs), but it's one of those small things that you might realize later you wish you had the longer length model of and might have to go buy a second gun. Again, this flaw isn't unique to Porter-Cable, but would it really hurt them to include the next model up gun, especially if they're going to short-change you with a lousy compressor?

The bottom line is that had I known then what I know know, I would have stayed very far away from any "oil free" compressor and just spent the money up front on a real compressor and guns that would have driven the maximum length fastener in each category. I'll probably stick to the Bostitch nailers from now on because I've been very happy with them and I feel like I'm getting my money's worth with the 7 year warranty.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2007
I've had my new nailer system for more than a month now and I have to say that it's one of the best tools that I have ever purchased. You get professional looking results with less effort and skill. The nailer allows you to put things together that would be impossible with a regular hammer and nails due to the repeated pounding with a hammer. So enough gushing praise, let's talk details.

The compressor isn't as loud as I expected (after reading other reviews) but it does make noise. There is a built-in handle on the top which makes moving it relatively easy. The system also comes with a 40 foot air hose, so if the noise bothers you, it's possible to put it far enough away (or around the corner) so it won't be too annoying.

The staple gun, brad nailer, and finish nailer are very high quality and made of good solid materials. They are easy to load and very easy to use. I have not seen a single jamming event yet.

The carrying case is also quite handy for keeping things together and clean.

I've done a few trim work projects, whipped out a bird house in under an hour, and put trim on some doors. I'm dying to refront our fireplace and add crown molding to the dining room. This nailer makes all the difference in the world for speed and ease.

Bottom Line: Would I buy this system again? Absolutely YES. Would I recommend it to others? Absolutely YES. Is it a good value? Try pricing the pieces out separately and you will say "Yes!"

No shipping and no tax when buying from Amazon. What a great deal.
on March 22, 2007
I have owned this kit for three months now and have used it frequently. I don't think there is a better compressor/nailer/stapler combo available.

I have used all of the air tools and have not experienced a single jam. The compressor is, as other reviewers have noted, rather loud.

I have had some problems with the regulator. The output pressure frequently varies from 10 psi below my initial setting to 5 psi above. This occurs one to four times per day. I assume this is specific to my unit since no one else has mentioned it.

The bleed valve is prone to damage. The valve is logically placed on the bottom of the tank, but can easily be damaged. I have not damaged my valve, but I am very careful to handle my tools carefully in order to protect my tool investments. If PC were to construct the unit with slightly taller feet, this would be less of an issue.

The power cord plug does not have a molded clamp feature such as is found on vacuum cleaners and other tools. I do not understand why all power cords do not feature a clamp or similar mechanism to secure the cord.

I followed the valve-open breakin procedure described in the manual. I also run the compressor for a minute with the valve open in order to warm it up each day. This isn't described in the manual, but I feel that it will extend the life of the unit.

I pick up my compressor and rotate it at the end of the day in an attempt to fully drain the accumulated moisture.

I plan to purchase a heavy duty, oil type compressor next year. The PC air tools are of much higher quality than the compressor. I don't expect the compressor to last as long as the tools, but I am quite satisfied with the overall quality/price of the kit. I recommend it as the first compressor/tool combo for a contractor or a long-term purchase for the serious DIYer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2007
I bought the Porter Cable Three Nailer and Compressor Combo Kit because we needed a finish nailer and a brad nailer, as well as a portable compressor that I could use with other tools. I wanted Porter Cable quality and looked everywhere for the best prices and nothing came close to this combo kit.

The Porter Cable quailty is superb. The nailers are built to handle rough use, but they are lightweight and solid. You can use them on long jobs without your arms getting fatigued.

The compressor is perfect. Another reviewer here mentioned that the compressor was loud. I guess it doesn't seem that way to me. I have had other small compressors that were a lot louder. Besides compressors by their nature are loud. The motor turns on when it has to to fill the tank and shuts off fine, and the air hose is long enough to work at quite a distance away from the noise, so I hardly know its running.

Each one of the nailers drives their nails/brads straight and true, and none of the wood work finish shows marks of any kind. The nails load easily and are not that expensive at the local Lowes or Home Depot.

I highly recommend this combo kit to anyone, and if you do not need all the nailers, I highly recommend each of the nailers and the compressor individually as it fits your needs.
on January 5, 2007
I purchased these nailers and compressor along with a framing gun to build a deck last summer. Framing gun worked perfectly each and every day on rough cut 2x6 cedar. The finish and brad nailers have worked with out flaw on trim and many other household projects. I spent 299 on the framing gun alone. This is an incredible offer.
on February 28, 2007
I have two of these nailers the 16 gauge and 18 gauge and have used them in my construction business.. I bought a similar combo a few years ago.. but this is a better deal than the one I got. I love the nailers.. bulletproof.. I recommend them.

John Helderman
on June 2, 2007
Hi everyone,

I have had the PC kit for a couple years now and have used it many times on a variety of applications from larger construction down to very small projects. I am totally pleased with every aspect of this product. I upgraded the airhose, but the one that comes with it will work just fine. The guns that come with it all perform great. PC also makes a good roofing gun that works great with this compressor. You can't go wrong with this one. Take care.
on August 5, 2007
I had borrowed my neighbor's Campbell Hausfeld a few weeks back to hang some beadboard on the front porch and started researching what i could get that would allow an aspiring woodworker and home improvement dad the best bang for his buck. Got it Friday with free shipping and no sales tax and built a storage shelf for the garage saturday. Need to get the framing nailer though. It is a little loud but so far, it's all I need and the nailers have performed flawlessly. Pretty portable as well. Thanks to everyone here who took the time to write a review for me and others to read. I read them and re-read them for weeks trying to make sure I got the right piece and I am very pleased with it.
on February 5, 2007
I have owned and used this set for almost a year now.

The guns are all very well-balanced, quality engineered. Never had a jam and always felt extremely comfortable. I find any excuse to break them out. These things will probably out last me!

The compressor is also of obvious quality and very convenient size. Easy to operate and nice adjustment capability on the regulator. Plenty of air to run the guns. It is, however, extremely LOUD!!!

Considering the retail price of simliar individual componants, this is a great value buy. I strongly recommend this set to any homeowner.