on February 2, 2011
For 35 years I have been using a circular saw I do not really like. It was a gift. It does the job, but it does not fit my hand and the handle makes it awkward to use. Finally, I used some Christmas money and bought this one in a local home improvement store. I have used it several times. It is wonderful to use, especially compared to my cheap old saw.

The controls are easy to set. I like the inch markings on the depth gauge. I painted the small triangular marker white so it is easier to find and see.

The 28 tooth carbide-tipped blade that comes with the saw does a fine job on several different types of materials. The saw is easy to guide when cutting and just feels right in my hand. It has plenty of power, too.

The cord is longer than most cords I have seen on power tools, and that is a good thing. The cord is nicely flexible, not stiff and hard to maneuver. It naturally hangs out of the way of the blade. That is not true of every saw I have seen and used.

I checked the alignment of the base with the blade by means of a digital caliper. From the front of the blade to the back of the blade, alignment varies no more than a quarter of a millimeter. The saw rips without heeling.

The blade does not have any "run out," which is to say the blade does not move outward a tiny amount when the motor starts, as is the case on some other similarly priced saws I also considered.

The base of the saw does not deflect when the weight of my hand rests on the handle. For many saws, even saws more expensive than this one, that cannot be said. When a saw base deflects from reasonably normal downward pressure on the handle, the blade can wander away from the line to be cut, resulting in inaccurate cuts.

I had considered buying the less expensive Porter-Cable saw model with a laser saw guide, but it simply did not fit my hand nearly as well as this saw. I am looking forward to using this saw as much as I can.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 6, 2012
The first thing I did when I got this saw home was check to make sure everything was square. And lo, the blade was out of square with the base. However, this saw has an excellent system for fixing this. There is a little screw you turn with a hex key that sets the default bevel. I thought mine was stripped out because none of my hex keys fit. Turns out it takes a 2.5mm hex key, which is a size I didn't even know existed. So I had a lot of initial frustration with this saw, but once that was over I grew to love it, and then built a TV stand out of 2x4s.

Pros (besides a general quality feel):
-That default bevel screw I was talking about is the best system I saw on all of the saws I looked at. Many didn't have such a system, and even the more expensive ones often had one that was one way only.
-The base is metal, solid, square and nothing catches or slips when you are using a guide, on either side of the blade. You'd be surprised how many saws don't have all of those features.
-55 Degree bevel adjustment, many stop at 45... pussies.
-Blade stop button. No longer do I have to push the saw into a board to change out the blade. Now its just, hold the button, turn the wrench.
-The case it comes with is pretty dang nice for this price level. It also holds your blade change wrench, rip guide (haven't tried that yet) and has a place for extra blades.
-The adjustment levers can be adjusted themselves if they start hitting the base or becoming too loose.
-Nice, long power cable.
-It looks downright sexy with a Diablo blade in it.

Cons:
-It should have come with a 2.5mm hex key.
-The depth I set on the saw, is not the depth I get on the cut. This could depend on the blade a little, but its off by around 3/8", which is kind of a lot.
-The adjustments are levers which are better than knobs, but they are plastic. Pay about $40 more for a saw and you only see metal levers.
-It won't fit in the case if the depth is anything other than maximum.
-I don't like the fact that the plug has two prongs. Any handheld device with metal on it should have three to prevent electrocution. I'm surprised their lawyers allowed this.
-The clicks for common angles on the bevel adjustment are incredibly strong. If you are doing a lot of odd angles it would get annoying to overcome this.
-PC15TCSMK. Have we lost all originality in this world? Call it the board muncher or something.

I'm nitpicking here. Its a great saw and I have no regrets.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 2, 2011
I bought this saw to replace a Porter-Cable that I purchased in 1983 (for $120). My old saw still worked well, but the adjustment knobs were increasingly painful to use and the fit and angle of the handle was never very comfortable. This new saw is lighter weight, has levers instead of knobs, and a long rubber covered (not plastic) cord. The ergonomics of the handle and supporting knob makes the saw very comfortable to use. The depth and angle indicators are difficult to read, but I wiped white paint into the indents which helps greatly. The saw comes with a rip guide and a nice molded plastic case with storage for extra blades. I was hesitant to buy a new saw as my old one still worked well and my use is less and less. But now I look forward to new projects because this tool is such a pleasure to use!
on November 29, 2014
Verified Purchase
my other porter cable saws (exact style) cut smoother, did not pull because of the way the handle is designed. it rattles already only had it a month. it feels like the blade is bent when you use it for some reason, and it is not because i have changed it multiple times, it just is not near the saws of porter cables i am used to. i even hate the case. go back to american made!
on March 14, 2011
I picked up one of these saws at Lowes for 89.00. This is a nice saw for the money, its well made and solid.
on December 29, 2014
Verified Purchase
This is a fabulous all-around circular saw, and great value for the money. It is clearly designed by people who use their tools in the real world, and has rapidly become the circular saw I grab first.

PRO
-Good build quality.
-Sturdy plate to prevent warping and variations during cut.
-Love the lock levers to adjust angle and depth. Unlike other brands (Skil) which use tiny metal levers that kill your fingers, these locks are easy on the hands and big enough to be operated while wearing winter work gloves.
-Price.

CON
The sturdy construction and nice controls come at the price of a little more weight. This is not a heavy saw by any measure, but there are a few lighter brands in a similar price range. That said, my favorite light model (DeWalt) comes at the cost of a plastic plate and thumb killing adjustment levers. I'll always pickup the Porter-Cable even though it weighs an extra pound.
on August 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
After waiting 3 weeks to get this saw, I got to use it for almost 3 hours before it burned up. It seemed to be rather heavy duty, which I needed for ripping 2" rough-cut lumber, but it still wasn't powerful enough. It is a very comfortable saw with what seemed to be durable components, aside from the motor. I had to pay to ship it to a repair facility which I am still waiting to hear back from. After this one went, I ended up getting a DeWalt 575SB which I've used all day without a problem. It seems to cut truer, has an easier to read aluminum shoe, and is very smooth and lightweight. Note that I was also using this saw and fence to rip 2" rough cut softwood with a ripping blade. If you're undecided, get the DeWalt. Porter Cable just isn't what it used to be.
on July 9, 2013
Verified Purchase
...and build most of my outdoor furniture and shop tables with dimensional lumber. This baby rips ply and cuts 2-by lumber like Sweeney Todd!

The bottom plate is sturdy; the adjusting knobs are levers (saves my knuckles and fingernails); the handle fits my hand; it feels solid without being too heavy.

I'm glad I opted for this corded workhorse - I wish I had a bigger shop and a helper just so I could buy another!
on October 29, 2013
Verified Purchase
It's almost so light it's bad. It does wander if you don't hold on tight. Doesn't fatigue your arm like some models. Cuts well. Included blade works great. Even on fine work when it's new.
on August 21, 2013
I'd decided to get into some amateur-woodworking the last two years, and this is the first saw I'd ever purchased up until that point. This is an excellent saw for the money, and probably for any money. I have found no faults with it in the past 8 months and use it nearly every weekend.

Saw Build Quality / Adjustments: This thing is very solid, yet light (9.5 lb), and everything was as square as I could determine using a combi-square. The weight of the unit makes one-handed ripping against a jig a thing of ease, although obviously not the safest practice. The blade shows no sign of outward movement on powerup, and where I mark a cutline with the blade off is where it cuts when the blade is on. Another thing that's nice is there is EXACTLY five inches from the left side of the shoe to the left side of the sawblade, and I've had accuracy measured to 1/32" by simply marking cutlines with a speedsquare and adding 5 inches during quick/less precise work like garage shelving. Depth adjustment is easy and seems to stick regardless of downward force during a cut, but make sure you push the solid-metal locking mechanism all the way down. I have not beveled with this saw yet, as I do a lot of rabbeting for edge joints - nothing appears amiss.

Rip Guide: This saw comes with its own rip guide, which was more than I could say of the Bosch and Dewalt units I examined - it seems like many people have a hard time matching a guide to the Bosch. I don't use it all that often (no match for a jig and some clamps if you're taking your time), but it works reasonably well when ripping 6" or under on an 8' sheet - anything over 6" and it gets a little too wobbly for me to trust myself on sheet lumber.

Power/Blade/Misc: The unit has good power, and I've gone full-depth cutting 4x4x8 doug-fir for some worktable legs without so much as a slowdown/peep from the saw. The stock blade is so-so, but has quite a bit of kerf and that's something to keep in mind. It's fine for ripping but causes a little more tearout then I'd like, and while it was my general-purpose saw, I used a 40T Diablo with great success. The saw now has a 24T Diablo as I've added other tools, and it's a much better blade with nicer rips and less kerf.

In summary, I'd highly recommend this saw for use on projects / basic home DIY, though I have no experience as a contractor. It is the ideal first saw to own, and can theoretically do just about anything, although other tools make some jobs easier / more repeatable. For the current Amazon price, it'd be the highest value-to-cost ratio tool in my garage to date.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations