Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on October 17, 2010
I bought one of these kits a couple of months ago. The drill motor is powerful and the batteries last a reasonable amount of time. The charger is very nice and informs you of the charge status. I really like the drill itself, but it has a few minor irritations.

After using it in an unlit closet in a house under construction, I noticed that the LED flashlight is in a perfect position to keep the line of drilling in the dark because the lower edge of the chuck is in a direct line between the tip of even the longest drill and the little LED. It's a neat idea, but it could be moved (perhaps to the front of the battery receptacle?).

Speaking of the chuck, having a keyless chuck is a nice thing if you need to switch drills a lot and don't need to continually use the same one for many hours. I've never been a fan of keyless chucks, because they always seem to lose their grip on the shank of the tool. This isn't a knock on Porter's chuck, but on keyless chucks in general. I don't switch drills or bits a lot, so I much prefer a chuck that I can crank down on and be sure that the chuck isn't going to loosen up.

Many of you may like the soft-sided bag that Porter gives you with the kit. It's nice, but it lacks a handle. It's far more convenient for me to use a handle on my tool cases than it is to fight with a shoulder strap that is continually sliding off, whereupon I have to pinch the case between my arm and my hip. I prefer the plastic hard case that my old Porter-Cable 12V Ni-Cd drill came with.
on August 7, 2011
Last summer I bought the PORTER-CABLE 18V cordless lithium drill/driver kit (PCL180DK-2) and one of the batteries didn't work right out of the box. I took it in to the local service shop where the guy tested it and told me it was faulty. He said he's seen this happen 'a lot' and he gave me a new one. Now, I pull it out this summer and both batteries are faulty (blinking red instead of taking a charge). So I've had three lithium batteries for this drill and all three didn't work.

With replacement batteries costing as much as half the drill kit, and a drill without power is an ugly paperweight, I'd advise you all to stay away from this product.

- Mark
55 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2010
I bought this drill in a kit that included an extra battery , a flashlight and a charger for the batteries. The drill has performed well in what little use it has seen. The problem is that one of the lithium ion batteries will not take a charge now. When I put it on the charger, the indicator light on the charger blinks green for a few moments indicating that the battery is charging, but then it begins to flash red indicating a defective battery. This thing has only been used a couple times since it was bought as a Christmas present. I bought the one with lithium ion batteries because I was fed up with the memory problems of ni-cads, and now that one of my batteries is dead, when the other one depletes its charge, the drill is useless until it is recharged. If the second one goes bad, too, I'm out the total cost of the drill. Not much of a bargain.
66 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2013
I bought one of the combo set of Porter Cable tool, with a drill, a drive and a light, two 1.5Ah lithium batteries and a charger. I don't use those tools, so I left them in the bag. Last week, when I took them out, the two batteries are all drained. One charged fine, but the other won't take a charge, the red light blink on the charger as broken battery. I left it on the charger for one night, nothing happened. I was thinking of contact them, but since I can't remember when did I buy that tool set, I didn't bother.
The battery is easy to open. There are four security screws, torx style, so you need a screwdriver bit that can take that out, and the bottom of the battery just pop open easily. In my case, the six cells in the pack were all drained below 1v, at about 0.7v. So I used a battery to charge each cell a little bit pass 1v, you should be able to do that with normal AA battery. It will be better to have a multimeter always connected so you know what the voltage is when charging them(by charging, I mean just connect the AA battery's positive side to the positive side of the one cell, ground to ground, if you have alligator clips, it'll be easy). After that, put the battery pack on the charger, it'll start to charge.
on November 7, 2011
Overall the build quality seems fine; good balance between lightweight and durability. However, the 18-volt lithium batteries are terrible. After about 1 year, the first battery lost life quickly then completely failed, causing the charger to simply blink. Shortly thereafter, the second battery also started losing its life very quickly (a few minutes of actual use) and now, after about 1.5 years, neither battery works well enough to actually use it. I only used this around the house, typically around once per week or two.

Sadly, I can't even comment on the torque or drilling capability because it has been so long since I had a fully-functional battery. My advice to anyone - stay far away from this drill. Next time I need a drill I'm definitely looking at the higher-end manufacturers because a decent cordless drill should last well over 5 years, period. Unfortunately, I thought Porter Cable was still making good quality products but now that I do a little internet browsing I see that they were bought out by the other low-end makers. It really shows in this product.

It looks like the similar NiCad batteries should fit this unit, so I plan to buy one and see how it works. Couldn't possibly be any worse than these lithium batteries.
on November 18, 2011
I am a carpenter and bought this mainly to upgrade the batteries in my NiCd kit, it was cheaper to buy this kit than to get the batteries and charger seperate. The drill is OK I suppose but the batterise are awful. They stop the tool dead if there is any strain on the tool even if the battery has full power. They are so tempature sensative, it was in the high 40's and they wouldn't take a charge nor when they were drained fast with the impact driver. The drill was awful, it kept spitting out a 2" hole saw and was not nearly fast enough to work the bit. I would up returning mine. This is a bad, bad, buy you can do much better for $150.
on November 22, 2012
After 2 years of occasional use, one battery died and the other no longer holds its charge like it used to. I was going to buy another drill just like it because I liked the drill so much, but after reading the reviews not only have I changed my mind but I felt a needed to warn others about it. I thought the problem I was having with the battery was isolated but that does not appear to be the case. The bottom line is that the drill is absolutely wonderful but the battery does suck big time like others have stated. The battery is a deal breaker.
on September 5, 2015
it'a workhorse.Owned about 7 years and one battery is just now starting to be difficult to charge.Batteries can be found online for around $35 and that's cheaper than replacing the entire tool set.It's been a dependable tool and I'll probably purchase the same brand when the time comes.Oh,and I did replace the charger itself after about 5 years.It was also in the $35 range.Still a good buy
on November 27, 2010
My wife bought this for me for my birthday in November 2008. The chuck loosens when you let go of the trigger with a hole saw or heavy bit in it. The quick stop function causes the chuck to loosen. The LED light is totally useless where they mounted it, the chuck shades the drill bit point. The batteries worked OK for about a 6 months of low use. The drill stops right in the middle of drilling a hole. Then I let go of the trigger and it will work again but only for a few moments. I put the battery in the charger, blinks green for a short time, less than a minute, then solid green, put it in the drill and I might get half way through a hole and it cuts out. Same with both batteries. I checked the batteries with a fluke meter, reads over 18 volts. I have a friend with the same drill, same problems. I will never buy a cordless drill from Porter Cable again.... My drill is PCL1800 date code 2008 35-BM, Batteries PC18BL date code 2008 33-BM, Charger PCLMVC Type 1 Date code 2008 29DB. I have plenty of other gear, Unisaw, full workshop. My Milwaukee drill is 20 years old and still works great! Only a 3/8" chuck, only reason to buy this Porter Cable 1/2"
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2015
When I received the drill set I tried to charge the batteries so I could use the drill. I called porter - cable because I couldn't get batteries to charge, the representative asked me for the serial numbers so she could find out when they were made. I found out the drill and batteries were made in 2008. This drill set was 7 years old and SOLD AS NEW. There are crooks everywhere. .DON'T BUY FROM THIS SELLER...only reason I gave 1 star is because I couldn't post with no stars..

See 1 answered question