Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

87%
13%
Format: HardcoverChange

on April 14, 2010
Portraits of the Word: Great Verses of the Bible in Expressive Calligraphy is a 2002 book by calligrapher Timothy R. Botts. This is more of the same from Botts - seventy-five passages from the Bible illustrated with Botts' phenomenal expressive calligraphy. More of the same is exactly what we want from Botts - the way he uses fonts, colors, shapes, angles and arrangements to breathe life into the texts never ceases to be amazing.

These are Botts' seventy-five favorite pieces, and he accompanies them with his thoughts on the creative process as well as brief prayers that respond to the verses. This book is arranged thematically. In Botts' own words, taken from the introduction: "The sequence of the art begins with who God is and his revelation through Jesus Christ. Then it progresses from our response to our privileges and to our responsibilities."

My one gripe with this book is that it's too small - about eight inches high by seven inches across - it's simply not big enough to do his work justice.

Botts' calligraphy is always fantastic, and Portraits of the Word contains some of his best work.
on April 8, 2013
My son loves this calligraphy so much that he framed many of the illustrations from the first book. Now he has a second book to put out on the coffee table!
on August 21, 2014
Timothy Botts is a great calligrapher & artist who has devoted himself to illustrating Biblical passages. His work plumbs the depths of the scripture passages with which he is working--and also happen to be gorgeous pieces of art.

Botts is the art director for a major Christian publisher, which explains how he has managed to get a publisher to spend the big bucks for top-quality paper and printing for his books. We are the beneficiaries of this wonderful collaboration between a gifted artist and a publisher-with-a-vision.
on April 29, 2013
I like this book but the shipping was a little slow. I would recomend this book to anyone who loves art and the word of God. I think though that the translation used in these inscriptions leaves a little to be desired. He seems to be a little off point in some of the emphases.
on November 30, 2014
Another wonderful artistic offering from Tim Botts. I was privileged to take two classes from him while I lived in the Chicago area. We were able to watch him create small pieces of art at the end of every class. What an inspiration! The only downside to this book is that some of the depictions are so complex in color and style that it is difficult to read the passage. But his ability to express the feeling and emotion of the text is unsurpassed.
on October 7, 2014
A lovely book to give as a gift and to keep for yourself. As always, Timothy Botts does a superb job of painting pictures with his beautiful calligraphy. I have several of his books which I have enjoyed over the years. I wish this book were larger so that his work could be shown to better advantage.
on November 16, 2012
For years I have admired Botts' work. What a special pleasure when an artist is foremost a Christian! You can feel certain that anything you get by Botts will be pleasing - in every respect.
on March 5, 2015
I love and have taught calligraphy! Everything Timothy Botts has created is breathtakingly beautiful, and his added descriptions an added pleasure. My favorite hostess gift :-)
on May 28, 2012
Always use Timothy Botts for gifts....what a beautiful way to read the word!
Second time I bought this for a friend...their house burnt down, so this is a replacement copy!
on September 4, 2013
Beautiful art work, Love the Calligraphy ,should get one to enjoy the words of God , the power and imaginations .