Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Poseidon's Arrow (Dirk Pitt Adventure)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on August 15, 2013
I have read Clive Cussler books for years, and have enjoyed most of them. Dirk Pitt novels have always been my favorite. He is a gentleman who gets things done intelligently. Hugh Jackman is the perfect actor to play Dirk. jdc
on February 23, 2013
Very good story, but too predictable. I'm not finished; hopefully there are some surprises. I love Cussler however this one was not as readable as others. I still love the history and background. Sorry!
on December 8, 2012
I have enjoyed many of Cussler's books and wanted something to read while traveling. It is action packed and we now have Dirk's kids to watch and read about. The character development is a little light but it was a fun read.
on January 25, 2013
As usual, Clive and Dirk Cussler have given us an exciting adventure and introduced us to new parts of the world and new technologies. This is a page turner to the end. Recommended for all Cussler fans as well as anyone who enjoys the adventure and mystery genre. I am still puzzling over the last line, but will figure it out. :)
on March 24, 2013
It's a swashbuckling tale of adventure and escape from seemingly impossible situations. Dirk and his supporting cast are aging with the rest of us. His twin children are engaged in 50% of the story, their own adventures nicely interwoven with their father's story. It's always amusing to see how and where Mr. Cussler inserts himself into the story. It's another great, fast moving, page turner!
on November 15, 2012
Once again Clive Cussler delivers another action packed Dirk Pitt story. With all of our favorites there from Al to his wife Loren. This is certainly one you are not going to want to miss. Can't wait for the next Dirk Pitt to come out. I highly recommend this book.
on November 12, 2012
I am a fan of Cussler, except for his Pinkerton novels, and pre-order them. I may have to stop and read the samples first. While this book was tolerable if you have nothing else to read, it was way too far over the top -- one nasty scrape after another until you are exhausted reading them let alone living them as the characters would be. I haven't finished it yet but will get through it because I have started skimming. It would make a great condensed book.
on November 28, 2012
Help! I've fallen into another Clive Cussler novel and I can't get out!

Actually, I finally did, with some persistence and a good dose of humor. Poseidon's Arrow is totally predictable, from beginning to end. It follows the standard Cussler formula: Years ago (WWII, this time) some ship or artifact disappeared. Fast forward to the present day, when the United States is completing an advanced attack submarine that is so fast no predator can catch it. The speed comes from a revolutionary engine that depends on scarce rare earth metals. Enter the bad guy, who wants to steal the engine and sell it to an enemy, and who is already stealing the world's supply of rare earths. Dirk, Sr., stumbles onto this when he saves a cruise ship from being rammed by a mysterious vessel. Along the way, he meets a beautiful federal agent and some South American baddies. He also is aided by his children, Dirk and Summer, and by his ever-faithful friend, Al Giordino. Needless to say, all is well in the end.

The formula involves several close calls and the (usual) abduction of the beautiful lady. It also involves a climactic confrontation at the end. I won't spoil it for you. Suffice to say that having visited the location Cussler uses, I find the final fight to be so implausible as to be bizarre. Pitt's solution to preventing the baddie's escape defies belief. Only Cussler's eternal faith in the supremacy of the US in all things keeps Pitt from being thrown into prison for as long as the sovereign country in question desires. In the real world, we'd still be trying to secure his release, probably without success.

But Pitt can't suffer the fate of mere mortals; he's the hero. So suspend belief, and common sense, and enjoy Poseidon's Arrow for what it is--total escapist fantasy. Here are the pluses: Cussler's son is a much better writer than Cussler is......The editing is vastly better than anything I've seen for several books. In the Isaac Bell series, in particular, misspellings and errors in geography and errors in verb agreement and even errors in name continuity abound. Not so much here. Evidently the howls from reviewers like me were heard at the publishers'. Now the minuses: The title has only the vaguest resemblance to the story (the fast sub is called the Sea Arrow, but that's it. No Greek or Roman gods). I've already mentioned the incredible ending.....the missing vessel from the beginning (oops! I gave it away!)functions as a kind of deus ex machina to wrap everything up nicely. Never mind that Dirk and Summer find it after St. Julien Perlmutter did a few hours of research, when no one else succeeded in sixty years....The elder Pitt is performing physical feats that are virtually impossible for someone in his sixties. My older son, 38, was a Marine officer and still keeps himself in top shape. For all of that, he's looking at dropping marathons because the punishment on his body is too much....Except for one gratuitous escape scene, Dirk and Summer are wasted. Their appearance several novels ago promised that they would take over the field work and let their aging father provide wisdom and guidance. Cussler and Co. appear to have lost their nerve, putting the old man back out in front. Doesn't work. Like all of Cussler and Co's offerings, Poseidon's Arrow is a guilty pleasure for those of us who were raised to read the real stuff.
on July 7, 2013
I haven't finsihed reading it yet but I'm going to be sad when I am. I like reading slowly but it's really hard to do with this adventure. It has a lot of of really exciting twists and turns. Better than a movie.
on December 7, 2012
Clive Cussler is an author I have followed for so many years, and I absolutely love what he writes about as well, as his style.
That many if not all books take place in or near the oceans of the world, make him one of my favorites.