1,148 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight as an arrow
The Cusslers' last outing was in November of 2010 when "Crimson Dawn" was released. I think the quality of the writing in "Poseidon's Arrow" is much better than that and certainly head and shoulders above "The Tombs" from just a few months ago.

Published on November 8, 2012 by Marcus A. Lewis

2.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to Clive Cussler?
Time was that a new Dirk Pitt adventure meant several hours happily spent. Cussler had (past tense deliberate) great talent as a storyteller. He weaved fact and fancy into a spellbinding concoction of thrills, chills and, ultimately, a resounding victory over the bad guys.

Published on November 21, 2012 by Jerry Saperstein

2.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to Clive Cussler?, November 21, 2012

Not anymore. For a long time, Cussler has listed others as co-authors, which at least is more honest than some of the authors who have become writing factories.

This time out, Cussler gives co-author credit to his son.

Of course, I don't know who wrote what in "Poseidon's Arrow", thus I don't know who to blame for this failure.

Cussler, pere, has always pushed the limits of getting the reader to embrace credulity and accept his often over-the-top storytelling. But with the co-authors involved, the magic simply isn't there. I gave up on his last book in less than 100 pages.

In "Poseidon's Arrow", Cussler begins as he often does with a bit of history, in this case a German submarine being attacked in the Indian Ocean in 1943. Then we abruptly transition to the development of a new class of American submarines. Things start getting shaky though when Cussler introduces an eccentric genius who . . . and that's where I will stop. There are people who may enjoy this book and I don't want to destroy it for them with spoilers.

Suffice it say, though, that Cussler's plotting on this one is thin to point of becoming ludicrous - which is precisely what happens on page 176. I won't tell you what happens, but it is so transparent, so outlandish and so stupid that it killed my interest in the book. On the one hand, the authors want you to accept their characters as being super-smart - and then have them take actions that are just plain stupid and unbelievable. The writing here is high-school level, the author(s) obviously stumped as to how to move the story forward, so they put their faith in the reader being willing to suspend disbelief.

It has worked in different circumstances for Clive Cussler in the past.

But it doesn't work here - and didn't work in his last novel either.

I am disappointed. I won't stop reading new Cussler novels yet, but for the moment, the thrill is gone.

Jerry

1.0 out of 5 stars Clive, please revive Dirk Pitt..., November 12, 2012
Pitt-ism's tossed in, predictable, outlandish. When I started with Dirk Pitt 25 years ago while traveling heavily, these were great entertaining reads. And the originals still are (been recently re-reading most of the series). All of the other "Cussler" novels (Fargos, Kurt, Isaac Bell, Oregon) that appear to be mainly written by others I also have found to be quite entertaining. But not the recent Pitt novels co-authored by Dirk Cussler. Clive, please authorize a different good writer to revive Pitt and Al to their former selves, with decent continuity to their younger lives. Bring them back. I've stopped buying most of the recent books, and donated the couple I wasted my money on (only one was reasonably good). I'd like to add more Dirk Pitt to my shelves.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 27, 2013
Having read every single book that Mr. Cussler has written, I was extremely disappointed with this one. The female FBI agent, Ann, was more like a damsel in distress. Who ever heard of an FBI agent that NEVER carried a weapon? She had no sense of anticipation, no fighting skills and needed more rescuing than a helpless nun. And Dirk and Al also seemed to be oblivious of their surroundings and were seemingly captured more than ever before. If they are simply slipping because of their advanced years, the author should write that into the book so that we would know it. Either this is an aberration or old Clive and his offspring have lost their touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight as an arrow, November 8, 2012
Marcus A. Lewis (South El Monte, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

The year is 1943, and the location is the Indian Ocean. An Italian submarine has been reconfigured to carry cargo rather than being a war machine. When the "Barbarigo" goes down, you know its contents must have some implications in the present. That is the standard Clive Cussler formula, and he almost always does it really well.

I am always pulled in by the plot in Cussler's novels, and it's a treat to have Dirk Pitt back in the field again. If you've been with the series for a long time, you will encounter a lot of your old friends in "Poseidon's Arrow."

A hat tip to Roland Dahlquist for his endpaper and interior illustrations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same Old - Same Old, January 3, 2013
Have always loved the Clussler books, but I'm afraid they have become a bit too predictable. It's as though Clive is begining to use a template and only go through the motions. I know its high adventure, fantasy and a bit tounge in cheek, but I couldnt wait to get to the end of this one as I hate to leave any book unfinished. Readable and mildy amusing but unremarkable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Childish, January 17, 2013
I really like Cussler of old. The new book is written by a 9th grader for other 9th graders. It was over the top and I made the mistake of not reading the other reviews before shelling out my hard earned retirement money for this dribble.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time..........., December 22, 2012
A little to simplistic and contrived for my tastes. The story bounced around like a ping pong ball. I expected more from Mr. Cussler. In fact after reading a little over three quarters of it. I archived it on my Kindle. Sorry Clive..........

2.0 out of 5 stars poseidons arrow, January 3, 2013
i have read many clive cussler novels i found this book very uninteresting boring same familiar characters doing same nonsense

1.0 out of 5 stars Too dumb., March 9, 2013
Gordon (Detroit, MI USA) - See all my reviews
We are, apparently, supposed to believe that high-level defense engineers don't back up their data - only one set of plans exist, and on paper! We are asked to believe that US defense agencies aren't capable of providing even half-way decent security for their projects. And top secret weapons testing is done in foreign territory. The list goes on. The first half of the book is almost unreadable as a result of these silly premises. The second half of the book is better, and more in keeping with what we expect from a Cussler book. Still, I almost gave up on the book several times while wading through the first half of it.
Borrow it from the library if you must read it. That way you won't be out any money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, check it out of the library if you still feel you need to read this book., January 7, 2013
These Cussler novels are getting worse. The bad guys seem to out think old Dirk Pitt and our national security agents at every turn in this one. What did the Italian WW2 sub have to do with anything? I couldn't finish it and I'd be kicking myself if I had bought the book instead of checking it out of the library.

His early novels were kind of fun in an action packed sequence of unbelievable coincidences sort of way. But Clive seems to have franchised out the standard plot formula to every would be co-author under the sun and watered them down to nothing, why didn't he quit while he was ahead?

Poseidon's Arrow (Dirk Pitt Adventure)
Poseidon's Arrow (Dirk Pitt Adventure) by Clive Cussler (Audio CD - November 6, 2012)
$39.95 $25.56