*****
This book inspired and motivated me to "get my life together" and design my lifestyle so that I can create positive energy instead of being lethargic, unmotivated, and drained all the time. For me, it provided the key to my problems---too much exposure to environments and people that drain my energy and not enough thought, planning, and assertiveness in setting things up so that I can acccomplish what I need to and want to with my life. I would recommend it highly for anyone who is anxious, depressed, tired, bored---in general, for anyone who would like a program of practical exercises to create more energy in their life.
I like the way the exercises are presented (I usually don't like exercises in self-help books and skip them). They are set off with shading, short, and not bothersome or time-consuming to do. If you are already worn out and tired the last thing you want is more "exercises" to do. Dr. Orloff's exercises are relaxing and add to your life rather than take away.
The book is enjoyable and relaxing to read. I would feel "up" and inspired after reading even a small part. This is the type of book that needs to be digested and re-read, not to grasp the information, but to remind yourself of important truths until they become a part of your life.
Dr. Orloff is an M.D., very knowledgeable, and a Buddhist as well. I found her spiritual orientation helpful and not offensive, although I am a Christian. The book discusses energy, meridians, and chakras in a practical down-to-earth way, assuming no previous exposure to these ideas and not incorporating popular New Age or woo-woo ideas as many books do. Her scientific orientation would be helpful, I would think, to people of any spiritual orientation or background.
Positive Energy provided just the information I needed at the right time. I went through the book, reviewing what I'd highlighted and came up with my own customized plan that I typed up and printed out to distill and emphasize parts that were especially helpful to me; I plan to read and follow this daily. I'd already started implementing her ideas and suggestions, though, and had already begun looking at things "energetically" to see what effect they had on my body, mind, and spirit. Her ideas work, and they really made a difference for me.
Thank you Dr. Orloff, for a truly life-changing book that helped me incredibly, and hopefully will help many others.
*****
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 12, 2005
The book is well written, but it doesn't live up to how it is advertised. It consists of a long introduction and 10 chapters (prescriptions, as the author put it). You can read what they are in Editorial reviews, so just to illustrate what to expect from each prescription, here are the exercises from the first chapter:

1. Must be done with a friend. Relax, picture a capsule of light around friend's body, cup your hand over her head, feel her energy.

2. Same as previous but should be done with strangers in the mall (or any other public place).

3. Do basic breathing exercise and at the end of it picture a tail stretching down from your spine, connecting you to the earth.

4. Relax for 5 minutes and direct your intention to your third eye (it is somewhere between your eyebrows).

5. Observe babies around you and how they are able to live in the now and learn from them.

6. Find your pulse and feel it.

7. Adopt a mantra and repeat it when you need to protect yourself from negative energy.

8. Learn to take mini technology fasts: check e-mail less frequently, don't fax for few hours...

The title of the first chapter is: Awaken intuition and rejuvenate yourself. I feel that none of the exercises helped me do that. I didn't find the exercises in other chapters helpful either. And the exercises are the best thing in the book! The rest is just stories from author's and her friends and patients lives, that just go on and on and teach you nothing. Also, there is a constant self-important and self-congratulatory tone to the author's writing, that I found irritating.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2004
I am a middle-age lady, a mother of three children, a new comers to Canada, I have to face lots of barriers to get a job here. I have to go to school to be certified for the job I have done for many years in my home country.
I was depressed in the last few weeks, because of so many things, like too much work for my school, lesson plans and assignments, having the restrict associate teacher, missing my husband who is away from home to work, missing my family overseas, and so many other things.
I did not have energy to get out of the bed and not even motivation to do anything, no appetite to eat. One day I decided to go out for a walk and I went to Chapters, at the entrance table I saw a book named Positive Energy, I grabbed it, that was what I wanted at that moment. I sat there and read the first few pages, it helped me gain a little bit of my energy. From that day on, I read the book everyday. It helped me a lot. Now I feel much better.
I just wanted to share this with you, I hope nobody ever feels down but in case someone needs to get energy and motivation, I would strongly recommend this book.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Energy psychiatrist Dr. Judith Orloff shares ten heartfelt tips to help you sense and transform the energies around you in order to make better choices and improve the quality of your relationships in her book, POSITIVE ENERGY. You can learn to sense the energy fields or "vibes" surrounding you and other people, places and things -- and by doing so, gain tremendous intuitive insight, poise, and confidence in even the most difficult situations.
POSITIVE ENERGY provides clear descriptions of how various kinds of energy ranging from delightfully positive to destructively negative feel, so you can more readily decipher your own physiological and emotional reactions to people and situations. For example, when you meet someone new and notice your body experiencing sudden otherwise inexplicable aches and pains, you're picking up strong negative vibes which should not be ignored!
What I like best about POSITIVE ENERGY is the way it brings the concept of bioenergy fields into everyday life, through exercises, stories, and interviews with people from all walks of life (Jamie Lee Curtis, Eve Ensler, Wavy Gravy, Amy Gross, Quincy Jones, Naomi Judd, Larry King, Shirley MacLaine, Rosa Parks, Iyanla Vanzant). POSITIVE ENERGY shines a light into even the darkest places, and provides new techniques for healing ourselves and our world.
-- Cynthia Sue Larson
author of "Aura Advantage: How the Colors in Your Aura
Help You Attain What You Desire and Attract Success"
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 12, 2006
The book was an ambitious project and I had high hopes. They were not met.

Again and again Dr. Orloff writes that she is going to teach the reader effective methods to encourage and manage intuition, but the promise never really materializes. She spends too much time telling the reader how intuitive she was as a child and how empathetic she is now. I'm sure Dr. Orloff is an amazing person and physician and helps thousands of people, but the tone of this writing struck me as incredibly self-involved.

If you are intuitive, chances are that you've already thought about nearly all of the solutions and exercises she proposes: live in the present, be around people who make you feel good, eat food that makes you feel good, be creative, revel in laughter, etc. The exercises are designed to bring about these states; activities are simplistic and somewhat banal.

This book may be useful for someone who has never considered spiritual, creative, or holistic thinking. If you have, leave this book alone and keep searching. You probably already know what you need to do.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 22, 2006
Fascinating book. It mad me aware of a world I never knew existed but always suspected. It has given me a practical language to understand things I have been feeling but never could explain.

I am a professional artist and I am a very creative person. I have been suffering from Vitiligo for over 15 years now and I have a friend who used to drain me emotionally. The Vitiligo appeared when I used to hang out with this person. He has it too but for him it comes and goes all over his body like magic. But for me I have never been able to get rid of it. It almost seems to me like these negative energy cords make themselves visible on the skin. Like a disruption in the aura appearing physically. Almost like a vampire bite. I have always suspected a negative entity but could never prove it or find any info on it.

Thank you Dr Judith, your book and website has helped tremendously. By doing some of your prescribed exercises - like surrounding myself with white light and visualizing cutting negative cords- my Vitiligo has already greatly improved. Your exercises have actually worked much better than any medicine I was ever prescribed by skin doctors. After over a decade you have given me hope that I can defeat this. Once again thank you.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm a big fan of Dr. Judith Orloff. A psychiatrist and professor at UCLA, she broke important ground with her first book, Second Sight, by revealing how she has learned to come to terms with and embrace her intuitive/psychic abilities. Following it up with Dr. Judith Orloff's Guide to Intuitive Healing, she set about teaching others how to apply their own intuitive sense to their physical, emotional and sexual wellness.
Now Orloff continues the teaching with her brand new Positive Energy, this time giving the reader even more practical intuitive advise on how to transform fatigue, stress and fear into vibrancy, strength and love. Assisted by everyone from Eve Ensler to Larry King, from Iyanla Vanzant to Quincy Jones, Orloff breaks her book into ten specific areas for interviewed discussions. The book is filled with information, techniques, tactics and treats that get one actively involved in energetic transformation.
There's a lot to explore and absorb in this 333-page book. I found it to be the perfect companion in my quiet, reflective times this month and thoroughly enjoyed its gifts.
on October 16, 2005
In Positive Energy, Judith Orloff,MD gives lovingly of herself in translating infinite wisdom into practical ways of developing your intuition and capacity for love and growth. This mind body approach to medicine is the future. Positive Energy is about opening your heart to the energy in the universe for optimal health. Judith Orloff incorporates interviews of people who are inspirational,trusting,aware,live in the present, and put into practice a knowing that all people are connected in this life. Positive Energy encourages readers to proactively remove energy blocks and transform them into successes.I highly recommend that you read Positive Energy cover to cover and then some.
on June 21, 2004
This book is a must have for people who have been labeled as 'sensitive' or 'too sensitive' in their lives.
Although the symptoms of absorbing negative energy can manifest in a variety of ways, as outlined in Dr. Orloff's book, this broad spectrum prescription can help you recognize your particular target areas. You will then be guided by specific exercises to truly help overcome the negative aspects of being sensitive without losing that precious sensitivity!
on February 27, 2005
I hardly dared hope for such a breakthrough as this book. Dr. Judith Orloff, a psychiatrist, is pioneering the integration of intuition with psychiatry. The day has dawned when even doctors will use intuition for diagnosis and treatment. In the meantime, Dr. Judith Orloff gives us these 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for problems of energy, heart, and soul.

Dr. Judith Orloff teaches psychiatry at UCLA, maintains a private practice, lectures, and conducts seminars all over the country. She is also the author of Dr. Judith Orloff's Guide to Intuitive Healing and Second Sight.

In Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear into Vibrance, Strength, and Love, Dr. Orloff offers us specific, practical prescriptions to enable us to:

- Protect ourselves from energy vampires

- Design an energy-aware approach to diet, fitness and health (including how to stop energy-defensive eating)

- Develop a heart-centered sexuality

- Awaken intuition and rejuvenate ourselves

- Find a nurturing spiritual path

- Generate positive energy to counter negativity

- Open to the flow of inspiration and creativity

- Celebrate the sacredness of laughter, pampering, and replenishment of retreat

- Attract positive people and situations

- Create abundance

The energetic approach of this book is what makes it so practical. Dr. Judith Orloff posits intuition as a normal part of life for everyone. With this in place, and working from a viewpoint of energy, problems become clear. The Prescriptions are easy to follow. This book can teach us to respect what energizes us and to avoid what drains us. It sounds so simple, but stop and think. Dr. Judith Orloff points out that we know what we want to eat for its taste, and asks whether we have noticed what it does for our energy level? No wonder we're tired - we've been eating delicious but tiring food! How simple it is to switch to delicious and energizing food.

The same applies to people - we link up with energy vampires people who drain our energy. Dr. Judith Orloff explains in detail how to get away from these energy vampires in almost any situation.

The word Prescriptions in the title is apt. I should point out that they prescribe things to do, not chemicals to swallow. These are very specific, practical, and easy things to implement in our lives. The difference they make could be tremendous.

The writing is up-beat and friendly. Each chapter varies its pace with a Prescription and an interview with people such as Quincy Jones, Amy Gross, Naomi Judd, Iyanla Vanzant, Eve Ensler, Shirley MacLaine, Wavy Gravy, Larry King, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Rosa Parks.

Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear into Vibrance, Strength, and Love offers practical improvements for life today. It also holds hope for the future - not only for each of us personally, but also for intuitively attuned energy in medicine and in every aspect of life.