5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Follow-Up
'Positive Words, Powerful Results' is from Hal Urban, the teacher who brought us 'Life's Greatest Lessons' which is a classic in the self-help field. After having read the review of the gentleman from Kenosha, WI, I felt I should take the time to offer a more mainstream opinion on this book.
The criticism that Dr. Urban's latest title does not lay out a history of...
Published on June 14, 2004 by Mike Donovan

1.0 out of 5 stars urbane but stupendous ignorance, sold as profit
How can I take seriously an "expert" who devotes pages 5 and 6 of his book to trying to convince us that the Phoenicians invented talking? Does Mr. Urban really believe what he tells his readers - that, until a mere of thousand years ago when the Phoenicians came along, humankind communicated purely by drawing pictures and letting loose the occasional wordless grunt...
Published on January 15, 2007 by K GLADSTONE

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Follow-Up, June 14, 2004
Mike Donovan (Middle America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Positive Words, Powerful Results: Simple Ways to Honor, Affirm, and Celebrate Life (Paperback)
The criticism that Dr. Urban's latest title does not lay out a history of linguistics is horribly elitist. The book is not intended to be a linguistics primer or anything other than what it is - a reminder that words are powerful things and a few new thoughts on using words to celebrate life. I found the book very uplifting, and quite thought-provoking, especially concerning the choices we face each day to use language as a positive force in our daily lives, or use it to bring ourselves - and others - down with us. It goes beyond 'positive thinking' to help us consider the power of 'positive language'. I enjoyed Dr. Urban's new book and appreciated the emphasis on how we choose our words each day - for better or worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear & simple must read for a better tomorrow!, February 28, 2008
Amazon Customer (Northern California) - See all my reviews
Cleaning out a bookcase I came across Mr. Urban's book, one of those 'must have's' but never had taken the time to read. So I read it, and now I want to get a copy for all of my daughter's teacher's, coaches, for my daughter's themselves! It is such a powerful reminder of the power of the tongue! I especially like that in the second half Mr. Urban gives specific ways to implement positive words in the classroom, on the team, etc. I have been discouraged by the increased usage of foul language on our high school campus, but he even has a suggestion of what worked at a high school when all the adults were onboard with the same question when hearing a profanity: "In this school, we don't talk like that." and then walk away. It sounds so simplistic, but like Jesus' Biblical lessons, the true lessons to make life more beautiful aren't difficult. I highly recommend this book... let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me...

5.0 out of 5 stars Should Be Mandatory Reading for home, school, business.., January 29, 2005
In today's vast realm of self-help, self-improvement, communications, human relations, business, prosperity-creating publications, Hal Urban's book stands out as an effective, concise, refreshingly readable reminder of the title's profoundly important message, which is actually the bedrock of any and all of the above subjects. It is like a gentle but much needed slap in the face to bring us all back into line and the higher standard of being consciously civilized, intelligent, and yes, loving human beings. Our culture more than ever needs to remember, acknowledge, cultivate and practice the wisom and commom sense conveyed here so simply and succinctly. Keep a copy; give another (at least one) away. Thank you, Mr. Urban, for writing this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Positivity Never Hurt, July 2, 2007
Hal Urban's follow up to Life's Greatest Lessons is a powerful, yet simple book that takes all of the complex, academic jargon out of his subject, and offers readers a chance to create a new paradigm, by doing something as simple as changing their speech.
Urban's book is chock full of feel good messages and warm fuzzies. No doubt this will turn off some of the more sophisticated and complicated readers; however, positivity is good for you, a little positivity never hurt.
His book has five parts, ending with a summary and a conclusion. The most enjoyable chapter in the whole book, in my opinion, is chapter ten: Funny Words Make Us Laugh, from part two. I actually enjoyed reading the book so much, I read it twice. I gave it four stars, though, because Urban's style can come across, at times, as being a little simplistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, February 29, 2008
They say it takes two weeks to create a habit. Well "Thinking and Talking Positive" is a great habit to form. You would be amazed how much better you feel when you are not wallowing around in negativity! Start the positive approach and you will feel better, have more upbeat positive friends and enjoy life! This author shows you how to do just that! Great book! I recommend it highly to get on the right track and for the quick pick me up when you start to slip back into your old habits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, August 10, 2013
Great Read. Im half way nd I already feel its helping me. I would reccomend to everybody. Positive Book Overall

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps me with my life and then some!, September 29, 2013
I purchased this book not too long ago because I had borrowed it from my local library and read the 1992 publication of it. Even though that book was put out over 20 years ago now and is very old, I can still able to practice and apply the tips and techniques (or better yet, the truth about life) into my own life and it's help me on more than one occassion tremendously. If anything, I think this book deserves more that the five stars I can give because if there was an option to give 100 stars, I would! This is a marvelous read and I so happy I came upon it. Maybe it wasn't luck after all, but God telling me to read it and buy it. Thank you very much Hal, my friend! You have won me over and I will make sure my future children if I have any, get these time tested advices as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, February 23, 2008
Hal Urban is one of the most inspiring and down to earth writers on self improvement. A must read, I am so glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Common-sense guidelines., December 16, 2010
Positive Words, Powerful Results: Simple Ways to Honor, Affirm, and Celebrate Life by Hal Urban really is an excellent book. It was easy to read and had insightful ideas on creating good habit patterns when it comes to how we speak, what we say, and how we treat others in our lives. Above and beyond how our words and behaviors affect us internally, Urban focuses on how we interact with others personally and professionally.

The author was a teacher for 30 years and the stories he shares really make you stop to think about the impact you have on those around you - and what a difference could be made by being consciously civilized, intelligent, loving people. In the second half of the book, he provides specific ways to implement positive words in the schools, workplaces, homes, and throughout our society.

I enjoyed his reinforcement of some common-sense guidelines - the Golden Rule, Garbage-in/Garbage- out, Attitude is Everything, etc. He gets you thinking about what you're doing daily. Are you complaining? Do you start every conversation with negative comments? He reminds us, that regardless of whether our irritation with a situation is justified, we have a choice in how we're going to behave.

I also enjoyed his discussion of the importance of language and reading. In a discussion of the incredible, measurable LIFELONG impact of reading to your children, he even referenced a book I recently read and highly recommend (The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease). I wish more parents knew what a difference it makes in your children's lives to read to them from birth and continue reading to them well after they learn to read themselves. Improving their vocabulary - and your own - can broaden and strengthen their capacity to remain positive, be successful, and be happier day to day.

I highly recommend this book by Mr. Urban to anyone looking for ways to enjoy their time on this Earth more and to be a force for good in their homes, in their communities, and anywhere else they find themselves. Word choice seems like such a simple aspect of our existence, but has a profound affect on almost everything we do and on all of our relationships, even the most fleeting.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE, June 14, 2014
Great book... this is one I will read over and over again and have recommended several times. Purchase all 3 in the series!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›