Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 24-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4)|Change
Price:$31.98+ Free shipping

VINE VOICEon March 4, 2013
UPDATE 8/7/14........... POST CEREAL HEARD THE MASSES COMPLAINTS.....tHEY.went back to the ORIGINAL FORMULA >>>>>

.>>>>>> HURRAY !! now I can buy MY FAVORITE CEREAL again.... yIPPPPEEEE..........

check you Grapenut Box's.. If it says MORE PROTEIN and NOT 100% WHOLE GRAIN.. you now have junk in your cereal bowl

I have been eating Grapenuts for breakfast for longer than I can to recall... It was the ONE cereal I could always count on to be simple... no sugar added and whole grain..

NOT ANY MORE..... some IDIOT chg'd the ingredients.. it now has GMO -SOY... and malt and several other ingredients.. the calories went UP and it no longer called it self .. 100% GRAIN..

due to putting the garbage GMO SOY into it.. it now cannot be sold in EUROPE which bans GMO products...

Oh and to make it even worse... this NEW FORMULA.. never gets softened.. and you can taste the soy in the product.

I have been a regular subscriber to this product NOT ANY MORE.

off to find another product that doesn't have junk SOY in it.!!!!

SO, so, so Disappointed in POST Cereal

They now lost this person as a customer.
3939 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2013
After many years of loyally eating Grape Nuts, I am abandoning it b/c Post changed the ingredients to add more protein to the product in the form of highly processed soy. A recent article in the WSJ points out that manufacturers are adding protein b/c consumers ignorantly believe the more protein, the better, regardless of the form of the protein. Of course, these are the same consumers who jump on every little fad/buzzword of the day - low fat, low carb, paleo, gluten-free, etc. without understanding the basics of nutrition and health - an easy sell for manufacturers to add "Protein" on the box and get consumers to react positively (they think protein is a good thing - see article below)

In a nutshell, Post did it to sell more of what is essentially a niche cereal (In case you haven't done your research, Post, lots of people simply don't like Grape Nuts and the ones who buy it are probably loyalists who are put off by the newly added soy).

Here's the WSJ article about protein.
[...]
Will not buy again unless Post brings back the real original version (whole grain wheat flour, malted barley flour, salt, dried yeast)!!
on March 7, 2013
They changed the classic recipe for grape-nuts and now they've got unhealthy soy protein isolate instead of whole grain--disgusting! I'm not going to buy these any more
on June 16, 2013
Look for the banner on the box that says 'Now with 8g of protein'. That tells you that this is no longer 'the original cereal' as they claim in bigger letters. I don't want or need added protein in my cereal and certainly not when it comes from isolated soy protein an awful industrial food process. I won't be buying Grape Nuts again and I'll be looking to find store-brand versions before they copy the new recipe.
on April 6, 2013
I've been eating Post Grape-nuts for decades because it's one of the few cold cereals I can find that doesn't have sugar or oats or many additives, and I like it. This is all past tense now since I bought 2 boxes from a local store a few days ago and noticed the picture on the box was different. That prompted me to check the ingredients to be sure they hadn't changed as I'm allergic to oats and some other things and don't like sugar in my cereal. I had no idea what Isolated soy protein was and it really didn't sound dangerous, but I looked it up on the internet and it certainly isn't anything I want to be eating! I went to the Post web-site and was able to send them an email complaining about the new addition and the fact that there was nothing on the front of the box to indicate that it had new additives, in fact, they had added the word, "Original" to the box front. I did receive a fairly prompt reply saying that my comment would be forwarded to their Marketing Department. Today I noticed that Amazon.com has Grape-nuts and was showing the old box so I thought perhaps they still had an inventory without the toxic additive, but after searching their webpage carefully I found the ingredients with, "soy" as the last one. It didn't say Isolated Soy Protein, but I'm not taking any chances. I don't blame Amazon at all, and I'm gratified to see all the customer reviews also objecting to this new addition. So I want to thank Amazon.com for showing the list of ingredients on their website and giving us all an opportunity to share our discovery, disappointment and concerns about this change to a long-time favorite cereal. And please ignore the 1-star rating; couldn't get this review accepted without selecting a star.Post Grape-Nuts Cereal, 24-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4)
on April 20, 2013
The Post company have changed the ingredients adding soy protein. For one thing it changes the flavor and gives a bitter aftertaste. Besides what Grape-nuts lover would want to eat GMO food (like Roundup-ready soy beans) and contribute to the increased spread of Roundup? It is with deep regret that I now stop buying Grape-nuts. I invite my fellow Grape-nuts enthusiasts to do the same. Maybe a drop in sales will make Post give us the old formula back. Meanwhile, we'll have to make do with All-bran.
on March 30, 2013
One of the attractions of Grapenuts was that it was just a basic cereal, with few added ingredients. Why can't they leave well enough alone? Sad. I won't eat it anymore.
on May 4, 2013
Post apparently had to screw around with a good product. Not recommened. Maybe they'll change it back like Coke did.
on August 5, 2013
Yuck! Why change something that tastes so good!? I refuse to buy anymore until they change it back to the old ingredients. Yuck! and so unhealthy!

UPDATE- grapenuts are back to normal! Thank you Post for listening to our concerns!! These taste just as amazing as the old recipe! So happy to have my grapenuts back.
on February 16, 2010
9/2014

Apparently Post's 2013 addition of soy isolate to Grape Nuts didn't go well with consumers. In January 2014, Post not only removed the soy (returning to the cereal's original formula), but the product is now non-GMO verified. Chalk one up for consumers.

For the time being, new boxes are marked with a purple circle that has "Soy Free" written on it (and no soy in the ingredient list). The front-of-box marking will probably go away once the original formula re-establishes itself in market inventory.

-----

5/2013

After decades of enjoying Grape Nuts, it's time to say goodbye. Why? Because Post has added extra protein in the form of soy, which is unnecessary to begin with, but made worse by Post's inability to say whether it's GMO or non-GMO (their suppliers don't provide a non-GMO certification). No doubt the cereal's inventor, C.W. Post, would not have approved. Farewell Grape-Nuts, we've always enjoyed your whole grain deliciousness, but will not be consuming your new, adulterated formula.

-----

2/2010

Original review: No grapes or nuts, but 100% delicious compact nutrition

Grape-Nuts are one of the oldest ready-to-eat packaged cereals still on the market today. Introduced in 1898, Grape-Nuts followed the first breakfast cereal (Granula) by a few decades, but stuck around much longer. They pre-date Kellogg's Corn Flakes by nearly a decade. Like Kellogg's early cereals, Grape-Nuts were initially marketed as a natural health food. Made from wheat and barley, without added sugar, they still pack a great deal of nutrition into a compact space. Each half-cup serving of Grape-Nuts contains 33 grams of whole grain, 48 grams of carbohydrates, 6 grams of protein and 7 grams of dietary fiber. They're low fat (1 gram per serving) and contain no trans fats.

Grape-Nuts have a sweet, nutty wheat flavor and are very crunchy; too crunchy for some cereal eaters. The nuggets are small and soften slightly in milk. Those who prefer softer cereal can make hot grape nuts by adding a third-cup milk and microwaving the mix for 30-60 seconds. More time produces a softer result. Those who like something sweeter than the natural 4 grams of sugar per serving can add raisins, chopped fruit, a teaspoon or two of sugar, or sweetened soy milk. Their compactness also makes them a good pick for travel rations or backpacking, and a full serving is quite a bit smaller than for a typical flaked cereal.

Grape-Nuts are great for breakfast, an afternoon snack or a treat before bed, and you can sprinkle them on yogurt to add some crunch! Recipes for Grape-Nuts bread, bars, pudding, muffins, tabbouleh salad and many other items can be found on Post's Grape-Nuts website and elsewhere on the Internet. [©2010-2014 Hypberbolium]