Posture, Get It Straight! DVD
Format: DVDChange
Price:$29.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I actually bought the original DVD of Janice Novak's posture program two years ago, which I loved (and did a review of here on Amazon). I noticed, however, that I wasn't doing the program as regularly as I should be since the main DVD is almost 90 minutes long. I would try to do the exercises on my own, but I like having something to follow along to, and I got lazy about fast-forwarding through all the explanations. I did a search the other day to see if any new posture DVD's had come out, and was excited to see that Novak had released an exercise-only disk.

When I looked at Novak's website, it seemed as if Disk 1 in this two-disk pack was different from the original DVD (which is why I ordered this two-disk set), but they are the same. *So please note that if you already have the original DVD, then you do not need this two-pack set, but should instead buy the exercise-only DVD (disk 2) that is sold separately.*

That being said, this program WORKS! I especially love how Disk 1 thoroughly explains the exercises (it runs just under 90 minutes), and Disk 2 contains just the exercises themselves (and runs about 45 minutes long). Disk 2 is also broken down into segments so you can just do those segments you need. There is a five-minute warm-up, twenty minutes of upper body exercises (to help with rounded shoulders, slouching, etc.), ten minutes of abs, ten minutes of lower back, and five minutes of all-over total body stretches.

Doing these exercises will not just mask your bad posture, but will strengthen your back muscles so that you will be able to hold yourself upright and improve your posture. I know that this is a problem for me since I spend a lot of time sitting/rounding forward, and many of the workout DVD's I do tend to overemphasize working the chest (which exacerbates the problem of tight chest muscles) and they do not pay enough attention to strengthening the back. In addition to doing Novak's exercises a few days a week, I am also going to work on doing assisted chin-ups and pull-ups twice a week to further strengthen my back muscles.

The non-latex band that comes with this DVD is also a great bonus since you need a nice, tight band to do the exercises. I've also noticed that the band that comes with this newer set is about 4 inches longer than the band that came with the original DVD, which is great because that band was too short, which made it hard to do some of the exercises.

Overall, this is a great program that works, as long as you set aside the time to do the exercises a few days a week. Novak's pleasant personality and demeanor also make it enjoyable to work along with her doing these exercises.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2008
Format: DVD
When I first saw the package for Janice Novak's Posture Get It Straight 2-set DVD, I thought if even one of the nine techniques improves my posture, I would be the winner.

I was the poster child for the effects of bad posture from being slumped over my computer: headaches and neck problems, and those ever-present aches in my back and shoulders. Until I looked at this posture issue as affecting my breathing, circulation and digestion, I didn't realize that is what was causing my stomach problems. I was a mess. Now with those short 10-15 minute exercises, I am feeling-and looking much better. I DO look taller, thinner and younger, and I did it myself.

I like that I am in control of my health and my time as I can do these exercises quickly and when time permits, in my own home. I keep the resistance band by my computer and several times a day I do some stretches. Even that simple effort has made me feel so much better.

As I watch young people playing video games, cuddled up with their laptop on their lap, I know that they'll be a generation who will need Posture, Get It Straight -and the DVD set should be given to ever Gen X and Y person before they have the health problems brought on by curled-up body alignment. Kids, sit up straight! as my mom used to advise.

I know I sit straighter since using this excellent program presented by Janice Novak on her 2-DVD set.

Armchair Interview says: In this time of sitting at a computer screen all day long, we have to be proactive for our good health--and this is DVD set is one big step forward.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 23, 2007
Format: DVD
I went from a vulture-headed, slouching posture, which I thought was impossible to change, to someone who now gets compliments on my posture. This is an ingenous program that was really easy to implement. The 'Standing Alignment' section contains invaluable information that had me standing straighter immediately. The exercises to correct specific posture problems are easy to do and helped me get remarkable results. This program really delivers. There is no denying - I have really good posture now. Many people have noticed and commented. I love the 'exercise-only' disc. I can pop it in, skip to any section I want and exercise along with. There is also a free resistance band included for added value. I would recommend this two-disc set to anyone who wants to improve their posture because it really works.
review image
on June 1, 2009
Format: DVD
I have never written a review for anything but I was so happy to finally find something to improve my posture. I am 37 yrs old and have had bad posture for 20yrs. I tried so hard to "stand up straight". I even tried PT, Chiropractor, special pillows. I was always horrified how I looked in photos and I had such tight neck muscles that I learned to live with the discomfort. This is a straightforward dvd with simple exercies and I could definetly feel the difference in 1 week. And the exercises can be squeezed into ANYONE'S day-at work, in the car, in the elevator. Thank you Janice Novak!
on December 28, 2008
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
This DVD set was recommended by a friend who let me watch hers before buying it myself. The first DVD seems long since it is explaining and demonstrating, but once you get into doing the work the set is well worth the money. One warning, don't try to suck your stomach in too much on the abs work. Doing so can pull other muscles that you don't even realize are connected. Obviously, I did just that. Take it easy and it will work wonderfully.

The DVD also explains about your transverse abdominals, which are the muscles that holds your lower stomach in and are so important to getting a really flat stomach. It does a better job explaining this than all the other abs workouts put together in this area.
Format: DVD
*If you have the original DVD of Janice Novak's posture program, then you do not need to buy the new two-disk set (as I mistakenly did), but can instead save money and just buy this exercise-only DVD.*

I bought Novak's original DVD set two years ago, and loved the exercises, but hated that it was 90 minutes long and I had to fast-forward through all the explanations to get to the actual exercises. This new DVD solves that problem. It contains just 45 minutes of exercises so you can do the exercises much more efficiently.

This DVD is broken down into segments so you can just do those segments you need. There is a five-minute warm-up, twenty minutes of upper body exercises (to help with rounded shoulders, slouching, etc.), ten minutes of abs, ten minutes of lower back, and five minutes of all-over total body stretches.

As I also mentioned in my review of the two-disk set, doing these exercises will not just mask your bad posture, but will strengthen your back muscles so that you will be able to hold yourself upright and improve your posture. I know that this is a problem for me since I spend a lot of time sitting/rounding forward, and many of the workout DVD's I do tend to overemphasize working the chest (which exacerbates the problem of tight chest muscles) and they do not pay enough attention to strengthening the back. In addition to doing Novak's exercises a few days a week, I am also going to work on doing assisted chin-ups and pull-ups twice a week to further strengthen my back muscles.

Great program that works!
on October 19, 2009
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I have been suffering from terrible neck/shoulder/back pain. After trying numerous workouts, heat, chiropracter, PT, ointments, doctors, I stumbled upon this workout. FINALLY I am seeing some relief. The instruction is clear & concise. The instructor is very personable. Highly recommend!
on December 27, 2006
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I have been bugging my 12 year old daughter for 2 years. We've taken her to physical therapists and nagged her countless times. She sat in front of the TV and within a few minutes was doing everything we'd been telling her for the past two years, but since it was on the DVD from an obvious expert she actually listened.

Wife is a nurse and I'm a psychologist and we were stumped. Daughter is now sitting in front of the TV doing the exercises and we're already seeing a lot of improvement. The rate of learning, tone of the presenter, and ease of understanding are all top notch and in fact my wife went out and bought a stretch band to do the training with my daughter. THANK YOU. This will be much cheaper than additional physical therapy visits at 30 minutes once or twice per week. Plus we can use it again and again.

Kevin
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I am a 35-year-old female who has struggled with poor posture her entire life. I had recently purchased a book on posture alignment exercises to help with my problems, but I found that it was hard to make time to do the exercises on my own. So I decided to purchase this DVD about three weeks ago, and it has already made a tremendous difference in my posture. I have only been doing the DVD about three times a week for the past three weeks, but my shoulders are already less hunched, and one of my shoulder rotator cuffs is no longer causing me the pain that it usually causes me.

Although the DVD runs about 90 minutes, I've found that after viewing it all the way through one time, I can now fast-forward through Ms. Novak's explanations so I can go right to each set of exercises. By doing so, I can get through the entire program in about 50 minutes. The exercises cover all the major muscle groups that cause poor posture, so that by strenghtening your muscles, your body naturally stops slouching on its own, without your having to think about it.

The exercises are also set up so that you can eventually do them on your own while watching TV or at a desk, but for now I like being able to follow along with the DVD.

Ms. Novak also includes "anywhere, anytime" exercises that you can do while at work, in the car, etc. These small exercises have been great in helping me ease tension out of my neck and shoulders, in particular.

An added benefit is that the DVD also comes with a latex-free resistance band that is used with the exercises. It really helps create more tension so that you can feel the exercises even more.

A wonderful DVD! I highly recommend it!
on December 4, 2006
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
just finished performing all of the exercises from this DVD: Posture, Get It Straight and I already look so much better and feel great too! Thanks!!! This DVD just saved me money from having to visit a chiropractor. I am thrilled that I finally know how to have correct posture.