5.0 out of 5 stars Super!
I love this kit because it teaches so much science. My kids love this kit because it's a blast! My 8 yr old wants to do one experiment after the other, and my 6 year old is able to participate right along. They were also captivated by all the cool stuff in the bag!
Published on September 14, 2010 by sea glass

1.0 out of 5 stars Kind of dumb
Published on December 26, 2010 by Kevin D.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Super!, September 14, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and Very Clever Kit, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments (Paperback)
My 8 year old son received the kit as a present. He loves it. Most of all he loves that he can do most of the experiments himself (the directions are illustrated and incredibly clear). I've been impressed by how clever the book that accompanies the kit is: Kurzweil really has a way of making quite complex scientific concepts (Bernoulli's Principle, for example) both understandable and fun. A really worthwhile gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars FUN FUN FUN!!! (and educational too!!??!!...ABSOLUTELY!), October 29, 2010
lpgstock (Providence, RI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments (Paperback)
Way cool. Most science kits come in heavy cardboard boxes filled cheap plastic junk. This kit is just the opposite. The packaging is lightweight, and the stuff inside is heavy-weight and great. Personally, I loved the electronic gizmos best. (The digital sound chip and clock that run off potatoes). My wife was more into the optical experiments. (She loves stickers.) My buddy Rob had a blast (literally) with the propulsion pipe. (His personal best was a 74-foot pellet lauch.) I'm guessing there's a dozen weekends worth of experiments in this bag. Not bad for $13. Plus I really like that EVERYTHING (bag and packing chips included) gets up-cycled and re-used in the projects. Can't get greener than that. Oh, and the best part: you get to eat chips for "research purposes."

This one is a no-brainer, folks... ENJOY!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Set!, September 5, 2011
This review is from: Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments (Paperback)
My daughter is 5 years old and is having a blast with this set. With 29 experiments, we can easily do one of these per day. Plus, they all focus on different parts of chemistry and physics, whether it's making our own slime from potato starch (which becomes hard when you touch it!) to powering a clock with a pair of spuds. She's taken incredible delight in simple experiments that can be done using everyday items!

One warning: this set does not include EVERY piece of equipment you need to run the experiments. Some of them call for ordinary items like pencils, paper clips, or balloons. The kit gives you a few of the items needed (the clock, wires, some chip lids, and a knife) but excludes a few others. It'd have been nice if they threw in just a few more household items in case you're lacking some of them. Be prepared to run to the store if you plan to do everything in here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and unique science kit. And a reason to pound down some chips., April 29, 2011
This review is from: Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments (Paperback)
I really wanted to find a cool science kit for my six year old, but choosing was slightly difficult as one seemed relatively indistinguishable from the next. Then I discovered one kit that really stood out from the crowd! Thanks to a clever overall approach and unique packaging, The Potato Chip Science Book is unlike any other kit out there. In lieu of a box, all the goodies come enclosed in a very realistic looking potato chip bag. It's the right size and shape and even made from the same crinkly material, so it feels exactly like a regular chip bag when you're holding it. Printed at the top is "High in Saturated FACTS!"

What's inside the faux chip bag: the Potato Chip Science book, biodegradable base, optical stickers, spud-powered sound chip, spud-powered clock, biodegradable packing chips, wire connectors, eco-friendly starch knife, potato propulsion pipe, electrodes, 6 chip lids, and some googly eyes. The smaller, more delicate items are enclosed in a sealed plastic bag, while the yellow biodegradable packing chip float around. The effect is that when you open the bag and peer inside, it resembles a bag of chips. Continuing with the theme, every one of the experiments is centered around potatoes and potato chips.

Even without all the extras, I was very impressed with the actual book inside the kit. Twenty-nine different experiments are pretty evenly split between five chapters: Bags, Chips, Lids, Spuds, and Tubes. Jump right in and get your hands salty by building an air rocket out of potato chip bags, make a clock out of a tater, grow a potato pal, or construct a chip tube bird feeder. I am not terribly scientific and really liked that the instructions for the experiments were very clear cut and super easy to follow. We also liked that there were lots of illustrations (mostly in chip colored yellows and browns) and tiny facts sprinkled in that made it fun to read. The result was that it didn't feel like we were reading an instruction manual, but rather enjoying learning all about spuds.

Overall,we found The Potato Chip Science Book to be a super fun and extremely well put together science kit that we can't wait to delve into further.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, September 18, 2010
This review is from: Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments (Paperback)
Great book! I love all the stuff & science! Definitely recommended. I think the Potato Propulsion Pipe is awesome. I had a lot of fun with this kit. I gave it to my best friend for his 9th birthday. He loves it!!!
A must-get for Kurzweil fans

1.0 out of 5 stars Kind of dumb, December 26, 2010
Kevin D. (Bloomington, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments (Paperback)
Very disappointed with this. The book has lots of experiment ideas, and the bag shows the few paltry items that actually come inside, but it FAILS to tell you that for most of the experiments you need to have a whole buttload of stuff on hand in order to do the experiments! Things like double-sided sticky tape, wooden coffee stirs, large empty potato chip bags, 100 pennies, extra kite string, balloons, mop bucket, red cabbage!, vinegar flavored potato chips, a box of matches, exacto knife.......the list goes on. I've had several "science kits" growing up as a kid and almost everything I needed to do the experiments were included with some minor exceptions of very common household items. (but really, red cabbage...really?). If you want to buy your kid a science kit, look for the ones that appear to have everything you need. This felt like a bit of a scam.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspired science for kids, October 19, 2010
This review is from: Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments (Paperback)
My 10-year-old and her friend had a whole lot of fun one afternoon with this kit and a pile of potato chips. Kurzweil is witty, and makes the scientific explanations thoroughly entertaining. There's a wide range of experiments to do. Even my non-scientist daughter got a kick out of using everyday materials in utterly new ways. You do need to look through the book first to make sure you have supplies you may need for certain experiments, but for the most part they're common items, like straws. The packaging is inspired.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not receive the "kit", June 17, 2013
This review is from: Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments (Paperback)
I was under the impression that I was ordering a kit with several items to use with the book. All the reviews I read before ordering discussed items in the kit. I received only the book. After rereading the item info I saw that it said "book" not "kit", but I felt they should have been more explicit that I was getting JUST the book with no supporting materials.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money! Don't be fooled!, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments (Paperback)
My 7 year old wanted to use it. Since her Grandmother bought it...I thought sure! As a teacher I can tell you the "tools" in this thing cost less than a dollar, total. It is full of packaging peanuts! It gives you the impression it is awesome. You will spend your day trying to find the other items you need. I could put two batteries together with a light bulb and wire and it would be ten times more interesting than this thing. The 5 star reviews must be written by relatives.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments
Potato Chip Science: 29 Incredible Experiments by Allen Kurzweil (Paperback - September 1, 2010)
$17.95 $15.20