5.0 out of 5 stars Excel-ent Is Right!
Published on August 20, 2011 by Kathy

The good one is a pellet that can be cooked or eaten raw, it tastes like a potato chip.

The good one is sold in a 28oz pouch, the one sold in a milk type carton tastes like any other instant potato.

I won't make that mistake again! I threw it out and found the real thing.
Published on July 8, 2012 by Tammy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excel-ent Is Right!, August 20, 2011
This review is from: Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb. (Misc.)
A long time ago (early 90's) I first found these at Sam's Club. Then, it was no longer reasonable for me to continue membership, so I missed them for a lot of years. After that, I worked for a Personal Care Home and was able to get some again. That was 6 years ago. Now, finally, we meet again, and I can rest assured that I will always have descent mashed potatoes quickly at my fingertips.

I tried others when I didn't have Potato Pearls. They are not as good. Especially the ones that begin with I and end with oan. You can't have those as leftovers. They always turned out runny the second day, with only warming them up and not adding anything.

Now these, these Potato Pearls, they're the bee's knees of instant mashed potatoes. I hate calling them instant mashed potatoes, I feel like it cheapens them. They are just mashed potatoes. They are so good in flavor, texture, and ease of making them, I want to tell everybody. You can't go wrong with these. They're worth it.

October 28, 2012-I stopped using these for awhile and when I was ready to use them again I ordered a new carton. I was having a hard time getting a good batch made, and thought that the few poor reviews here, were right. I thought I might have to send them back. Then, I finally reread the directions, and here's what you need to know. It is absolutely necessary to pour the boiling water INTO the Potato Pearls when making small batches. Pouring the Potato Pearls into the boiling water is ONLY if you are making the whole carton (or bag). I know, it seems like it shouldn't make any difference, but it DOES! Trial and error proved it to me. I can't believe I had forgotten how to make them! They're so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative instead of keeping potatoes around forever, February 15, 2013
This review is from: Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb. (Misc.)
I moved and could not find the original ones I used called "Potato Pearls" in any stores around here. These say "Excel Potato Pearls". I'm wondering if it is the same product since it tastes pretty much the same. The difference, though, is that these are large pebble-like pieces, while the ones I used to use were more like granules. The only complaint I have is that I have a hard time getting the pearls to dissolve. I can't seem to get all the lumps out. I wish they were smaller like the ones I used to buy. If that was not a problem, I would have given them a 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Potato Pearls Rock, February 29, 2012
Burton Berry "lazarus17" (Tooele, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb. (Misc.)
I have never like instant potatoes. When my sister-in-law tried to get us to buy some with her (quantity order) I staunchly rejected the offer. Who was she to even insinuate that dehydrated potatoes could take the place of freshly whipped potatoes on our dinner table? Can you believe the nerve? I was tricked into trying these a few months later at her house for a holiday dinner. I say tricked because no-one told me they were instant before I dug in. It never even crossed my mind that someone wouldn't make home-made mashed potatoes for a Thanksgiving dinner!

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I won't say these are better than fresh whipped potatoes, but I will say that potato pearls are very good. We use them for day-to-day meals and only make freshly whipped potatos for holiday dinners or dinners with a lot of people. It is just too easy to make the pearls and get exactly how much you want in the time it takes to boil water. The taste is great and they don't have that institutional aftertaste that you get when digging in at a buffet or cafeteria.

A great example of how versatile and easy these are: I didn't want the pasta my wife made with dinner last night so I put 6 tablespoons of water in the microve and brought it to a boil in 45 seconds. I then added 3 tablespoons of potato pearls and viola! I had the perfect single-serving of mashed potatoes in less than a minute. Another example is my granddaughter (19 months) loves potatoes and we will make some of these up with almost every meal. The fact that you just make them using the easy-to-remember 2-parts-water to 1-part-pearls methodology means you can make exactly the quantity you need. If she doesn't want to eat her vegetables, they get mixed in and she wolfs them down.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with these. I don't know if these have an extensive shelf life for you doomsday preppers, but if you have a well stocked pantry and also store emergency rations to a reasonable extent, then just make sure you rotate your supply of the potatoes. But hey, if you keep emergency rations, you probably already know about rotation...

Happy tater eating to you!

1.0 out of 5 stars There is an excellent potato pearl called excel, but this ain"t it!, July 8, 2012
This review is from: Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb. (Misc.)

I won't make that mistake again! I threw it out and found the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the shipping, May 5, 2014
This review is from: Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb. (Misc.)
First bought these at Costco, but they do not carry them anymore. Although the shipping was nearly as much as the product, they are worth it. These do not taste like instant mashed potatoes. I have tried many brands, but found none that come close. What is also nice, is that you can measure out 1 or 40 servings, add boiling water, and they are done. They taste as though the butter has been added already.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD FOOD, March 30, 2014
This review is from: Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb. (Misc.)
for me this is the instant potato that no one knows is instant.
with only 3 people living here we go thru this food .
i pay extra price for product and shipping because no one in
my area handles these potatoes. they are that good

5.0 out of 5 stars potato pearls, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb. (Misc.)
closest thing to real mashed potato's and very convenient. to bad my local Costco quit handling them. more words than I care to enter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't think of my life without Potatoe Pearls., February 9, 2014
This review is from: Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb. (Misc.)
I would recommend this product to anyone willing to use Potato Pearls instead of fresh potatoes. I have used these for years and worked on my recipe until I was satisfied.

While saving time and work I now don't stress over my potato condiment, when you feed ten people or more it's a blessing and I always get compliments; plus should I have some leftovers I have a lot of ways to put them to good use. Also, if I just cook for myself I can break down my recipe and spoil myself to elegant Mash.

Keep them coming!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reason for giving Excel Potatoe Pearls FOUR STARS!!!!, November 27, 2013
This review is from: Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb. (Misc.)
I love Excel Potato Pearls mashed potatoes, these instant mashed potatoes are the closest to homemade I have ever found and all you have to do is add water - Easy - Just the way I like it!!! In the past I used to purchase this item from Costco but Costco has since quit carrying this item - I have searched everywhere through Billings, MT to try and find this item and was unable to. I'm so glad I was able to find them through Amazon on line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Potato pearls, November 1, 2013
Amazon Customer "surely" (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb. (Misc.)
I looked all over for these after having had a box of them. They are delicious. I'm glad that I found them at Amazon and will order them again when I run out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Potato Pearls Excel Mashed Potatoes - 3.37 lb.
$10.82