How has Potatoes Not Prozac (Radiant Recovery) helped you?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2008 1:05:17 PM PDT
Book Lover says:
I know that some of the things that this program can help with may not be immediately obvious from reading a summary of the book. What are some problems that this program has helped you with?

Or, if you have never tried the program, what are some of the problems you are hoping this will help with?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2008 5:18:37 AM PDT
K says:
Hi Book Lover,
That's a great question <smile>. I've been following the Potatoes not Prozac program for a while and it has had innumerable benefits for me. It certainly goes a lot further than the hopes I had at the beginning- that I'd be able to control my eating and lose weight and maybe be a bit less moody LOL.

Some of the benefits I have seen so far are: more energy, less headaches, less dizzy nauseous spells in the afternoons, better sleep, feeling stronger physically, mood swings virtually eliminated, no more food cravings (seriously!) and so on.

There has also been a second layer of changes in my thinking which I put down to the way my brain chemistry has changed- I am becoming a joyful person, I have much more mental clarity (my brain is coming back, hurray!), I am more compassionate and more giving, I am more responsible and organised, I am more aware of my body's needs and don't feel guilty for looking after myself (I used to martyr myself to the point of desperation), my body image has changed even though I am only part way through losing the weight, I am more loving and understanding of others, I am more able to stay calm and assert my own needs and opinions instead of either giving in or stubbornly demanding my own way, I am less fearful and have less anxiety. I am happy. I am hopeful and excited about the future, I have plans. I like myself!

I'd never have imagined that changing how I eat could have such a profound effect on my life.

I hope this goes some way towards answering your question <smile>.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2008 7:08:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2008 7:08:39 AM PDT
This has helped me with almost every facet of every problem. I had no idea how much of how my body felt was related to food. In the last few years, I have been really depressed because I was having so many health problems that were never diagnosed (other than vaguely) by doctors. Many days I wasn't very functional, either because of the abdominal pain I experienced or the depression that I was experiencing. All of my symptoms have disappeared after just 5 months of following the program in Potatoes Not Prozac. I am happy, productive and feeling healthier every day. My head feels clear, and even long-term plaguing problems, like PMS, are better.

I have also heard people with ADD, bipolar disorder and diabetes have been "misdiagnosed;" and this program is actually what they need. Moreover, children who are sugar sensitive are flourishing under this program as well - no more temper tantrums and moodiness. So, I think it's safe to say sugar sensitivity has so many ways of manifesting, that many could benefit from this program.

It all makes so much sense when you see how imbalances in the chemistry affect how we feel.

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 10:24:35 AM PST
Yes, I would also like to comment on how PNP has helped me. As was said earlier the program really has changed my brain chemistry. It sounds a little outlandish but my thinking is clearer, my impulsiveness is not so exaggerated and I no longer suffer from panic attacks.
It really is not a stretch to say that Kathleen's books have changed my life.
although I still battle some mild depression when I first discovered the program I was "empty" and suffering from major depression. I am now hopeful that I will be able to gradually bring myself off of my anti-depressants over the course of the next year and finally get my life back.
Can't say enough about PNP and her other books.

-John

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 3:54:34 PM PST
Pogo says:
I'm hoping someone is still reading this discussion page because I am so confused I'm thinking about eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream while I ponder the problem.(JK) I've read several books, pamplets and online stories about low blood sugar and there is a big discourse in advice. Some say eat a carb before going to bed and first thing in the morning...others say eat protein at those times. Who do I believe? A carb and protein mix? I've done them both and I have cut out as many sources of sugar as I can (alas no chocolate ice cream) and feel so much better throughout the day but still have sleep problems and wake up groggy and unrefreshed in the morning.
Thanks to any and all who read and respond.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 6:43:56 PM PST
Hi-

Well I eat a potato before bed and that helps me with sleep. If you've read Potatoes Not Prozac you can get the gist of why the potato works better than most things.
Hope that helps.

-John

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:29:57 AM PST
Pogo says:
Thanks for your reply John. I really appreciate all the advice I can get from people "in the know".
I'm finding that no matter what I eat before bed (even a potato) I end up with acid reflux about 2 hours later and about every hour or so from then on which of course wakes me up in distress several times. Do you know anything about Chromium? I've read that 200 mcg keeps the sugars up and helps get your body through the night. Haven't tried it and wonder if it really will work.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:00:02 PM PST
Hi-

I don't know if you've looked inot The radiant recovery website but if you do check out the online groups. they even have one for stomach problems, ibd is what the list is called I think.
I had digestive problems while trying to change my food and that list really helped me.
Also I've heard it said that if the potato doesn't work before bed then try toast or an apples or brown rice. I think the idea is to get an insulin response so that tryptophan can get to the brain to raise serotonin. At least that's what I remember from Potatoes Not Prozac.

-John

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 8:39:53 AM PST
Pogo says:
Tryptophan!! I had forgotten all about that! Thanks for mentioning it. Back during my "terrible teen" years a doctor suggested I start taking it and I remember how my sleep patterns, mood swings and temper changed almost overnight. I'm off to the health food store to get some.
Thank you John. I am soooo grateful for your help.
PS..I ordered the Potatoes not Prozac book and will hopefully learn more.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 1:46:52 AM PDT
Barry Bunn says:
Katherine, if you are really morbidly obese do you think you should be given diet advice ?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Potatoes Not Prozac: Solutions for Sugar Sensitivity
Potatoes Not Prozac: Solutions for Sugar Sensitivity by Kathleen DesMaisons (Paperback - January 1, 2008)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (257)