5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!!!
Published on May 5, 2010 by KnittingMom8

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of variety, but hard to read
Published on February 18, 2010 by Patricia Griffiths

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of variety, but hard to read, February 18, 2010
This review is from: Potter Craft Books 400 Knitting Stitches POT-62732 (Paperback)
There is a lot of variety for beginning knitters, but the instructions and charts are hard to read; the type is very small and you need a magnifying glass to read the diagrams. It would have been better to print 200 stitches (leaving out the basic garter, stockinette, etc. which most knitters know)and printing instructions that are easier to read. The instructions, in most cases, are convoluted and in a couple of paterns we tried, pattern steps are missing. Experienced knitters will probably spot those quickly, but where were the proof readers? Read instructions VERY carefully, and adding two edge stitches to the pattern is not always best practice. I give this book a C; there are better ones on the market.

2.0 out of 5 stars the book is full of mistakes, October 28, 2012
I bought this book because of the beautiful illustrations. All the samples are knitted from the same yarn in the same color. It's perfect for comparisons. I was excited to have a collection of so many stitches in one volume.

However, of the eight stiches I have tried so far, 6 of them have mistakes in the directions. The word directions did not match the charted directions. In some instances the words are correct and in others the chart is correct. In one pattern it ends the written directions saying 'repeat these four rows' when they only gave directions for three rows.

This could have been a valuable resource in my knitting library, but because of a lack of proofreading and editing, it is a book that has little use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!!!, May 5, 2010
If you can only get one book of stitch patterns, get this one. I love to just sit and look through the book at all the beautiful patterns included. I prefer this one to other stitch guides that I own because it contains different stitch patterns than I have seen elsewhere and the clarity and beauty of the pictures. All the swatches are knitted in a natural off-white shade that shows the stitch patterns off well and just looks plain classy. The instructions are in written and chart form, though the charts are small. I, personally don't knit from charts so this is not an issue for me. I also like that the instructions for special stitches (cables, etc.) are included right in the written pattern, rather than having to flip somewhere else in the book to find out what all the abbreviations mean. Right now, I am knitting a scarf for my mom using the "Gathered Stitch" from this book, and it is turning out great. I know that there are a lot of stitch guides out there; I own more than one myself. But, if you can only get one, get this one. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Knitter's Review, January 22, 2011
Dina S. (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
400 Knitting Stitches is a good resource to have on hand for beginners and advanced knitters. Inside you will find patterns that cover the basics for beginners, intermediate patterns and advanced patterns for skilled knitters. Beginners will find the "Knitting Basics" section to very helpful. This section offers step by step instructions to teach beginners the basics. The tone is easy is to follow, yet remains informative. Also many of the patterns in the "Knit-Purl" section are designed for beginners to practice their knitting. This section also has many patterns that intermediate beginners will enjoy. The "Cross Stitches and Cables" section contains many lovely patterns ranging in difficulty from intermediate to advanced. Seasoned knitters will find the patterns within the "Slipped Stitches, Lacy Stitches, Double Stitches, Twisted Stitches, and Cast-Off Stitches" sections to be a real treat, as these showcase the knitter's skill. Page Count: 256 Page. Size: 8.8 x 7 x 0.7 inches

What's Inside?

Knitting Basics: Abbreviations, Understanding a Pattern, Tension, Diagrams, Casting On, Stitches, Knit, Purl, Casting Off, Patterns and techniques.
Knit-Purl Stitches: These 86 stitches include: Stockinette stitch, Garter stitch, Moss stitch, 1/1 rib stitch, Caterpillar stitch, 2/2 Garter stitch rib, Furrowed rib, Dot stitch, Seersucker.
Crossed Stitches and Cables: These 139 stitches include: Simple twist, 10-Stitch cable, Double cable, Stitch plaits, Broken rib, Uneven cable, Chain links, Honeycomb.
Slipped Stitches: These 60 stitches include: Double stocking stitch, Speckled rid, Partridge eye, Grass stitch, Wisteria stitch, X stitch, Wings, Butterflies, Alternating Arrows, Sycamore, Alternating grass tufts.
Lacy Stitches: These 85 stitches include: Simple openwork, Eyelet fabric, Openwork squares, Openwork ladders, Matting stitch, Turkish stitch, Patchwork, Tulle stitch, Horizontal eyelets, Tile stitch, Falling leaves.
Double Stitches: These 12 stitches include: Fisherman's rib, English rib knit-wise, English rib purl-wise, Fancy Richelieu rib, Ladders, Alternating English rib, Wheatgerm.
Twisted Stitches: These 6 stitches include: Double twisted stocking stitch, Twisted stocking stitch, and Two-tone double twisted rib.
Cast-Off Stitches: These 3 Stitches include: Bamboo stitch, and Diamond drops.

My Personal Opinion:
As an intermediate knitter I find this book to be a valuable resource. The patterns can easily be adapted into a variety of projects such; scarves, throws, afghans, or prayer shawls. Unlike other knitting books 400 Knitting Stitches focuses on stitch patterns, rather than project patterns. This format helps you to learn new stitches, practice them, and apply them to your own project patterns. I highly recommend this edition for those who enjoy new stitch patterns as this is the best resource I have encountered.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reference book but not instructive, December 21, 2010
This is a great anthology of diverse stitches, with the bulk featuring crossed and cable patterns. For each pattern, a great photo of the knitted swatch shows the texture and expected result.

However, the written instructions are not clear, so I relied more heavily on the charting. For this reason, I would not recommend this book to beginners, or even to intermediate knitters. The instructions are fine for a seasoned knitter who knows exactly what different stitches are. For example, "knit 2nd stitch from behind the 1st stitch" is not an intuitive instruction for beginning knitters, whereas an experienced knitter would know. The glossary in the back of the book does not break down this instruction into discrete steps. This is strange, especially since there are detailed instructions and photos for "casting on."

I would recommend this book to designers who might need some fresh ideas for projects. Each pattern lists the number of stitches suited for working repeats, which is great for selecting appropriate patterns for projects.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, February 7, 2010
I've found this book very useful for a variety of projects. The charts could be larger and easier to read and the lace section is meager, not on par with the rest of the book. Overall, I've very pleased with the selection of stitches. I was interested to find out that this book is actually a translation of a French knitting stitch dictionary, perhaps the stitch selection has a more European flavor than most of the books available in the states.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great info, published by non-knitters, March 16, 2010
Meg (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
This is one of the most comprehensive stitch dictionaries I've ever seen. The information in the book is great and you should buy it for that reason. Be forewarned. My beef here is with the publishers. The table of contents is limited to type of stitch (knit & purl, lacy stitches, etc.) and page number. There's no index. In other words, I can't just look up entrelac, I have to flip through 256 pages until I find it. Seriously? Also, each pattern has both written and charted instructions, which is awesome. However, a another reviewer pointed out, the charts are TINY. Which is not awesome. Eye-squinting, headache-inducing tiny. Also, many of the charts on the left hand side of the page are in the crack of the tight paperback binding. Seriously? (I'm a visual person and a chart knitter.) Clearly these publishers are not knitters since no knitter I know would think this is a good idea. It's going to be difficult to blow up the charts on the left side without breaking the binding.

As far as the information in the book goes, it really is good stuff. I'd give it five stars if it weren't for the publishing mistakes. Are you listening Potter Craft?

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless if you want to search for things, January 20, 2013
There is no index in this book!
If you want to be able to look up a stitch you read about in a pattern... forget about it. It is very difficult to find anything in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it borrowed, now I HAVE to buy it!, March 8, 2010
I borrowed this from my local library and have used it 4 times this week on a sweater I am designing! I found myself going to this book over my other stitching books. I am here to buy it for my own collection. I have many stitch dictionaries, but I love how this one has photos of the "right side" and "wrong side" of most of the patterns. It does have some common patterns in it, but i still think it is well worth the money for the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 400 Inspiring Designs for Knitters of Various Levels, June 23, 2011
Wow! There are so many different stitches in here, I don't know when I will be finished with them all! The designs are creative, the photos are beautiful, and I would say the instructions are pretty easy to follow. Each pattern's instructions tell you what multiple of stitches you would need per row to make it, and abbreviations are explained in the book as well. There are patterns for a variety of experience levels, so have fun trying out new patterns as you mature in your knitting abilities.

There could have been more stitches involving more than one yarn color, but that would probably be my only complaint. I'm sure a few people would find the patterns hard to follow, especially if you're a visual learner, so my solution for that would be to look up specific stitches or abbreviations online and find videos demonstrating the pattern step-by-step.

Potter Craft Books 400 Knitting Stitches POT-62732