Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon November 20, 2005
For the first three "Harry Potter" movies, John Williams ("Star Wars" and numerous other films) composed the music and it awesome. Poignant, touching, entertaining, everything that you could want. John Williams didn't do the music for this movie. Patrick Doyle was called to the task and personally, I think that he performed admirably.

"Goblet of Fire" is a far different film from the first three "Potter" movies. There are some big things happening, which you almost certainly know about if you're reading this. These demand strong themes and music and Patrick Doyle delivered.

I'm not going to give a blow-by-blow track review, but I will touch on some of my favorite tracks. These are "The Quidditch World Cup," "Golden Egg," "Neville's Waltz," "Underwater Secrets" "Hogwarts' March" and "Magic Works."

Some thoughts on a few of these pieces --- "The Quidditch World Cup" evokes the passion of this great sport and has wonderful Irish music in it as well. There's also the chanting --- "Krum... Krum... Krum," it really works. "Golden Egg" is a partly vocal piece encompassing the song about the mermaids' task and they got a nice female singer to perform it. "Neville's Waltz" evokes a classical feeling and is also just funny. And then there's "Magic Works," a sort of ballad that was played during the closing credits. After listening to it a few times ("Believe, that magic works / Don't be afraid / Of being there / Don't let this magic die...") you too might just believe that magic works --- if you didn't already! :)

I couldn't end this review without mentioning the soundtracks two other vocal pieces --- "Do the Hippogriff" and "This is the Night." "Do the Hippogriff" is a wild punk rock theme with crazy lyrics like "I spin around like a crazy elf, dancin' by himself / I put me down like a unicorn..." As long as you don't mind this sort of song, it's good fun. "This is the Night" is another sort of rock/metal theme and it's decent too. I read that Daniel Radcliffe is a fan of this style of music, so I'm sure he was pleased by those tracks (although, unfortunately for him, I also read that they filmed his scenes separately from all that.)
on November 20, 2005
I buy a soundtrack when I'm sitting enthralled by a movie but keep perking my ears for the music. That's why I bought this soundtrack. I know my John Williams, and I could tell without being told that he had not done the score. While Williams has created the most memorable themes in movie history (even my sixth graers who were born in the nineties know "Superman" and "Star Wars" when they hear them), I haven't heard this kind of passion from him since "Jurassic Park." Patrick Doyle has done wonders during a time when, honestly, soundtracks fail to be fun anymore, with rare exceptions ("Lord of the Rings").

If you search for the movies Doyle has composed music for, you'll find a common thread--"Henry V" (1989); "Great Expectations"; "Quest For Camelot"; "Hamlet" (1996); "Much Ado About Nothing." His resume is, for me, what makes him perfect as the scorer of the latest Potter music. Witchcraft and wizardry will always be linked with the ancient, and the medievel, and you can hear that style in this soundtrack, and it lends a timelessness and greater sense of maturity to the movie.

Because the movie itself has so many dark moments, much of the soundtrack is that way as well. The beginning track "The Story Continues" sets the stage for recurring themes that have their origins in Doyle, not Williams. He slips in more heaviness in tracks like "The Quidditch World Cup" for the arrival of the Bulgarians, but we can't overlook the whimsy of the start of the same track, which heralds the Irish. There is exquisite beauty in "Harry in Winter" and its theme finds its way into "Hogwarts' March." "Neville's Waltz" and "Potter Waltz" provide more relief from the darkness; however, tracks like "Golden Egg" and "Voldemort" manage wonderful transitions from light to dark and vice versa.

It seems that the majority of listeners enjoyed the soundtrack from the last movie; I can't comment on that, as I have not heard it, nor the two that came before it. I was never moved during the movie to purchase them, the way I was with GOF. Perhaps it is just that I am partial to the grandeur of music that is made to fit all the marvels of things of a time past. But isn't that what the Harry Potter books do, too? A mixture of ancient spells and wisdom with modern day inventions and slang. Doyle, it is evident, understands that synthesis.

A last note: each track is separate, which is indeed nice when you like a beginning and end to your music. There was a small trend in soundtracks for a while, like that of "Gladiator," in which all the tracks ran together, and it was annoying. Nothing to worry about here.
on November 18, 2005
I have read all the reviews of the soundtracks, and I would like to say that many of the reviewers here who hated the soundtrack didn't see the movie and haven't read the books. Just how do you expect to know what the music is about unless you put it with the movie? Yes, listening to the music first can help you prepare, but ultimately, you won't have a clue until you read the books/watch the movies.

For those of you who didn't like the soundtrack and actually had good reasons, I have nothing against you. After all, we all have our opinions. It is only certain people that aren't using common sense.

About the rock music on the soundtrack, of course if you haven't seen the movie or read the books you would be appalled. "It isn't Harry Potter" you say? In the Harry Potter books/movie, there is a popular rock group called the Wierd Sisters, and they DO play at the Yule Ball. The music absolutely belonged on the soundtrack. But you wouldn't know that without seeing the movie and reading the book would you?

Yes, it's not John Williams. But I see it this way, this movie is unlike the other movies, it is darker, less like the children's books earlier in the series. Having a new composer helps to reflect that. Sure I'd love to see John Willimas back, but now not at the expense of Patrick Doyle. This soundtrack has earned it's place in my CD rack.
on November 21, 2005
At first, yes, I was a bit upset that Williams wasn't going to do this movie's score, though I never really cared for his work on these movie's in the first place. The only memorable thing he did was obviously the theme, and one song from the Prisoner of Azkaban, everything else is ambience and random mystery noises. Doyle did a WONDERFUL job, forget what all these hate-mongers are saying. 'Death of Cedric' is a sorrow-full piece of work that portrays the emotion that is the scene. And the new "love" theme, if you will, for Harry is absolutely beautiful. It is played both when Harry and Cho talk, and when Harry's parents talk to him. Another huge part that struck me as amazing is the mermaid chant that is in 'Underwater Secrets' track. Exactly how I imagined it to sound. I thought it was an awesome soundtrack, and I really really hope Doyle comes back for Order of the Phoenix and Half-blood Prince. And hopefully the 7th.
on December 7, 2005
As with every "Harry Potter" soundtrack in the past, I was truly looking forward to the release of "The Goblet of Fire". When I saw that John Williams was not the composer, I have to admit my disappointment. After listening to the complete score for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised with the orchestral part. The music that heralds the arrival of different players in the track entitled "The Quidditch World Cup" was definitely my favorite cut. The use of an Eastern European flair for Viktor Krum resonates power and strength. But as with most every review, with every good part there must also be the bad. Why-oh-why did they include vocal tracks on this soundtrack? And not only vocal tracks, but BAD vocal tracks. With the very opening of "Do The Hippogriff", I knew that I was in store for an unpleasant listening experience. The singer literally screams at the beginning. After seeing the movie and seeing the portion of the film where the songs are performed, I still cannot figure out WHY it was included in the soundtrack. It was OK for the song to be in the film because we got to see the kids be kids and have fun (for the most part) together. But to have a beautifully orchestrated piece of cinematic music immediately followed by a below-mediocre singer screaming, just does not make the least bit of sense.

In closing, my copy of the "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" soundtrack will soon be at the local CD re-seller. Perhaps if they make a compilation CD of all four movies and it does not include the "Goblet of Fire" vocal tracks, I will buy a copy of it. If I could just rate the orchestral portion of the soundtrack, I would give it 4 1/2 stars. Patrick Doyle follows the John Williams legacy and does the music great justice. The vocal tracks I could not even give 1/2 of a star. It is like trying to put a square block into a round hole. It just does not fit.
on November 22, 2005
When I first found out that Patrick Doyle was going to compose the music for GOF, I must admit that I was kind of worried. J. Williams did an amazing job composing the music for the first 3 Harry Potter films and I didn't think that Doyle could succeed him in this incredibly demanding task. After all, he only had around 10 million HP fans to please! I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire the first night it opened at midnight. The first thing I noticed was how amazing the music was! Doyle kept "Hedwig's Theme" (William's main theme for the Philosopher's Stone) and built a whole new music theme on that. Doyle's music has a more dramatic/dark flavor, which blends great with the movie. Some pieces, like Cedric's Death, are so powerful, you feel like you are about to cry! The whole album is wicked, but my personal favorites are:

1. The Story Continues (this is the opening theme, based on William's main theme) - 1

2. the Quidditch World Cup - 3

3. Foreign Visitors Arrive - 5

4. Harry in Winter (this is such a lyrical piece! It's from when Harry asks Cho to the Yule Ball) - 12

5. Potter Waltz (The champions dance at the Yule Ball) - 13

6. Hogwarts March (3rd task) - 16

7. Death of Cedric (no comment...) - 19

8. Hogwarts Hymn (closing credits) - 21

9. Do the Hippogriff (wizards can rock!) - 22

If you are a Harry Potter fan, or you just like good music, then this album is for you! Actually, I'm listening to it right now!!!!
on December 14, 2005
With the "change" in Book IV, the movie soundtrack has changed its definition as well.

The story plot in Book IV contains both darker and lighter material, thus further defines the characters with depth and maturity. The music does the same. Unlike the underscore from "The Sorcerer's Stone" -- which often recycled the same motive on many occasions -- the beginning theme for "The Goblet of Fire" has become darker, and rest of the underscoring music contains differentiated characters to accommodate the "change" and further-definition of the story plot. With the maturity of Harry, you will also hear the maturity of the music -- cute crush, passion, fear, uncertainty, and anticipation of what's to come. If you are a fan of the Harry Potter movies, this soundtrack will be great to have.

Two other comments:

1) The last three tracks are from the rock singer singing in ball scene. It has a taste of teenager/high school memories.

2) The beginning of the theme may sound a bit like the theme for other grand hero movies like "Batman" or "The Matrix." Nevertheless, it sounds quite good.
on February 22, 2015
The Goblet of Fire was always my favorite book. I knew that there would be real technical challenges with the movie, but they were successfully overcome. The Goblet of Fire is a delightful movie. I loved everything about it, including the music. The classical pieces are just gorgeous, and the rock and roll pieces were so much fun. I loved the Quidditch World Cup early in the movie. Very well done. Out of all three challenges, all of which were well done and very exciting, the Black Lake challenge was my favorite. Years ago I purchased the entire series of books for my grandson. I was hooked with Book One, and I immediately ordered each and every new book, as well as the DVD's as soon as they were available. I know so many adults that loved the books and the DVD's every bit as much as the children. For so many of us, J. K. Rowling is a heroine, who taught children to love to read, and enchanted them with the movies.
on November 22, 2005
I was wary when I first heard John Williams would not be back to score the film.

His Harry Potter theme is awesome, and essentially is the heart of the story. Thankfully, Patrick Doyle recreated his own vision beautifully, and still managed to keep the overall theme brought to life by John Williams.

The tracks are darker in tone, just like the movie, but also have their own feel to them. I especially enjoy "Foriegn Visitors Arrive", "The Quidditch World Cup", and the "Hogwarts March".

It's a great soundtrack, especially for any diehard Harry Potter fans....The melodies are also very beatiful to listen to, even though they come in short bits.
on November 21, 2005
I have always loved Patrick Doyle, and this latest installment is a another testament to this man's talent. I find Doyle to be very versatile and his music amazingly adapts to whatever is happening on the screen. I love John Williams, but a new twist is always refreshing. I think many who were disappointed were just emotionally involved with the old Harry Potter themes, and found change a bit difficult, but if you give it a chance as a musical piece, i am sure many will learn to appreciate the genius that is Patrick Doyle.