Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 18, 2003
Hannah can eat her breakfast, brush her teeth, and even dress all by herself. Her biggest hurdle? The potty! As with most potty training experiences (mine included), Hannah and her parents need plenty of patience...and paper towels!
Reality check. I had two minor issues with the book: Hannah easily removes her diaper. My girls struggled to get theirs off (at least at first). And Hannah seems to graduate instantly from diapers to underwear after only one successful potty. In my house that meant instant mess!
Otherwise, readers will chuckle over Alyssa Capucilli's delightful rhyme, rapped by Hannah herself, and Dorothy Stott's hilarious antics of Hannah's potty partner Teddy the bear.
We have read almost every potty book available on the market as of 9/2003 (over two dozen!). Most fit into two categories: INSTRUCTIONAL books that introduce the skills needed to master the potty; and those that are primarily ENTERTAINING, for children who understand what is supposed to happen on the potty, but need extra time to make it happen.
I think The Potty Book for Girls fits more in the INSTRUCTIONAL category for the following reasons:
1) It identifies the purpose of the potty.
2) It specifies bodily functions such as "poop" and "pee."
3) Shows the transition from diapers to big kid underwear.
4) Includes the hand washing step.
For other potty books that are instructional, check out What to Expect When You Use the Potty by Heidi Murkoff, You Can Go to the Potty by Martha Sears, or My Big Girl Potty by Joanna Cole.
11 comment|353 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2000
This is a sweet book about a little girl named Hannah who is ready to start using the potty. It shows the transition from diapers to "very special underwear". The book uses potty words like "pee and poop." Hannah has a few accidents, but Mom and Dad are still encouraging. By the end for the book, Hannah is very proud of herself and her potty success. She also will tell your little girl a secret, that she too can use a potty.
The book itself is a hardback with very thick pages that will not tear easily. The illustrations are very attractive and definitely show how much energy Hannah has (as does every toddler or preschooler). The story line rhymes and is easy to follow. This book is perfect for any "big girl" who is interested in potties or parents who want her to be.
My own Hannah really likes the book at 24 months old, but is not quite ready for the potty. I think it will help her to read and talk about it for now. When the time is right, she'll be ready for the potty, too!
on July 23, 2015
My toddler girl loves this book. She is showing more interest in using the potty.
review image review image review image review image
on January 3, 2002
Of all the potty books I've seen (and with a 26 month old, I feel like I've seen them all), this is the one that fits all my (1st time Mom) requirements. It is cheerful, positive, rhymes, uses our family's potty language, and I don't mind reading it over and over. My daughter loves the teddy bear and the Mommy and Daddy. She also noticed the little girl having an "accident" and wet pants right away, and I think relates them to herself in a good way. I also try to use the same wording as the book - "don't you give up yet" to reinforce that this is HER process and accomplishment.
I would also recommend "What do you do with a potty?" which has lots of "lift-the-flaps" to keep my daughter's interest, although the story isn't as good.
I also had not seen this book anywhere but Amazon.com.
on March 2, 2001
My daughter Brianna is 22 months old. She's had a potty in her bathroom for awhile, but she showed no interest in it. I bought this book for her about a month ago and she can't put it down. I actually had to leave it in her crib at night because she wants to read it to herself before she goes to bed, and looks for it first thing in the morning when she wakes up. All day long I hear "Hannah book!!" She loves to read it herself, and always applaudes Hannah at the end - "Yay Hannah... Yay Hannah. No diaper!" Now she's always asking to sit on her potty; especially when she reads the book!! Thank you Hannah!!
on August 10, 2001
Our daughter loves this book and asks to read it over and over (on the potty or off it). She now wakes up in the morning and wants to use the potty "like Hannie" (Hannah)from the book does. Some of the other potty books we have read leave out some of the steps you need to take when you use the potty, or don't mention things like having accidents. This book is very thorough, positive, and cute too. We highly recommend it!
VINE VOICEon November 26, 2002
A really cute potty book. My 2 1/2 year old loves this book, and can recite it word for word. The story of Hannah's transition from diapers to underwear is told in rhyme, using the potty words "pee" and "poop".
This book helped to open a LOT of dialogue about using the potty, which is great. My daughter also likes to use the phrases from the book, "Whoops, I had an accident" and "that's OK". Unfortunately for me, we haven't moved from dialogue to action, (you'll notice she's not saying "Hurray I said, I did it!") but I guess there's a limit on how much to expect from one book!
The illustrations are cute. My daughter enjoys looking at the pictures and discussing what Hannah, her parents and her teddy bear are doing.
The quality of the book itself isn't quite as good. The pages are quite sturdy, somewhere between regular paper pages and board book pages, but the binding is already starting to split on our copy.
All in all, though, a fun book for a frustrating process.
on February 12, 2016
Chopper does great with potato cubes, works great for the average cheese grating and is generally a well thought out design. It is a larger sized appliance so make sure you've got room. We use ours with the professional series 6500.
review image
on July 21, 2003
My 2 and a half year old was very resistant to the whole idea of using the potty. She's a smart little girl, but the potty was a problem. I bought this book, read it to her a few times, and the next thing I know she's reciting the book from memory and using the potty exclusively for all her poop and pee! There's no such thing as a magic potion for potty training, but this came darned close. It is a very upbeat and cute book, with special emphasis on the pride a child will have once they choose to use the potty. The lead character, Hannah, is a great role model - she is enthusiastic about using the potty and celebrates her successes. When she has an "accident," her mom and dad say, "that's OK Hannah - don't you give up yet!" I found myself saying the same thing to my daughter when she would have an accident, and it worked wonders to soothe her bruised ego. I would recommend this book to anyone as a part of their potty training plan. If I had to do it over again, I would have started reading it to her a lot sooner, but better late than never. She is 100% potty trained now, and she still asks me to read this book to her all the time.
on December 11, 2002
I have found this book to be cute, having very good illustrations. I would suggest this book to any parents that are going through the frustrations of potty training. It shows plenty of pictures and it really has the ability to make a child want to feel more grown up and graduate from diapers. It gives them the push they need and shows that when they get used to using this big girl potty, they will be very proud of themselves and say, "I'm off to the potty. No more diapers for me! And I feel great. I am proud of...ME!" Plus it tells the girls that read this, "Want to know a secret? You can do it too! Just march off to the potty like me and Teddy do." My aunt also has this book and she uses it with her first child and she says that it helps very much so because it encourages her daughter to become a big girl and use the potty. I've read this book to her also and when I read it to her she was watching and listening intently. Watching as I turned the page so she could see the next picture. Afterwards, she got up and she said, "I'm a big girl!" Her mom and I both started laughing. But I think the cute way it rhymes and illustrates so well also helps keeping the child entertained.