5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Chainsaw

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective and Poor Design
Published on April 16, 2008 by bilyo

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Chainsaw, June 30, 2006
Douglas Dowers (Londonderry, NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poulan Pro 400E 18-Inch 4 HP Electric Chain Saw (Lawn & Patio)
I originally bought the Poulan Pro 42 CC 18" Gas Chainsaw but after reading the reviews here I took it back without even taking it out of the case and bought this one instead. I am very glad I did. I only need a chainsaw for around the house to cut fallen trees or the odd job. So the idea of keeping a can of mixed gas and oil didn't appeal to me. Not to mention the saw would sit on the shelf for months at a time between uses and I didn't care for the starting problems or engine repairs of a gas chainsaw. However I was worried that this electric chainsaw would not be powerful enough. I had 2 fallen trees with a bases of about 15 inches that I needed to cut into firewood immediately. This chainsaw performed perfectly. I realize that it was new so the chain was nice and sharp but it still had no problem cutting through everything quickly. I loved being able to start it and stop it at will without the hassle of priming a gas engine or overheating problems or running out of gas or messing with the choke. I stopped whenever I felt like it and came in the house for a drink of water. Went right back out and with just a squeeze of the trigger was back to cutting again. I have a perfectly cut half cord of firewood in just a few hours. Amazon delivered the saw to my doorstep in 7 days with the free shipping. The saw did not come with a case or chain oil so I had to make a quick run to the store for some oil. I was happy to see that the saw used almost a quart of chain oil for the 2 trees. This told me that chain stayed nice and wet. Afterwards I spent about 10 minutes cleaning the saw back up like new and put it back on my shelf for the next time. It only took removing the two lugs and the chain and bar came right off for cleanup. Nice job Poulan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 4HP chainsaw for $90, June 15, 2006
As long as you can use it within extension cord reach, this is a great tool. the chain oiler is very good - the chain is always nice and wet without spraying oil, which is exactly the way I like it. And, of course with electric, there's no gas mixing and start up problems, and the saw is considerably quieter and lighter than a comparable 2-cycle powered tool. But, keep in mind, this is not a toy -- lighter saws can kickback easier, but on the otherhand they are easier to control as well.

Regarding the extension cord, I was worried that 4HP (4HP = 2984W = 27A @ 110V) would draw a lot of current. But I've had no problem using my regular old orange 14ga 100' outdoor extension cord. It seems to work just fine, and doesn't get warm even after an extended duty cycle. The saw only draws full power under extreme motor loading situations -- like if the chain is binding or dull or something....

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT little saw!, November 4, 2006
L. F. Smith (E. Wenatchee, WA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a great little saw and a real value at the price.

It's powerful enough for the typical yard cleanup jobs you run into, and it's clean and easy to use, since all you have to worry about is keeping the chain oil reservoir full. This is NOT a production-style saw that you can take into the woods and cut fire wood. It's a yard maintenance tool-- and a good one.

This saw more than justifies the "Best Buy" rating Consumer Reports gave it. I'm very glad I bought it, and I'd do it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SAW-PLS READ BEFORE RETURNING!, September 6, 2009
YOU MAY NOTICE THAT ABOUT 90% OF THE REVIEWS FOR THIS SAW ARE GUSHING WITH PRAISE, AND THE REMAINING 10% SAY SOMETHING LIKE "QUIT WORKING AFTER 20 MINUTES." WELL, I THINK I HAVE SOLVED THE MYSTERY...

TURNS OUT, UNLIKE MOST ELECTRIC CHAINSAWS, IT HAS A "CHAIN BRAKE" WHICH IS DESIGNED TO STOP THE SAW QUICKLY IF YOU BUMP IT, AS YOU MIGHT IF YOU LOST CONTROL OF IT. UNFORTUNATELY, SOME OWNER'S MANUALS DON'T SHOW THE CHAIN BRAKE IN THE DIAGRAM, IT REFERS TO IT AS A "HAND GUARD."

ALSO, THE TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION DOESN'T MENTION TO CHECK THE CHAIN BRAKE (I.E., HAND GUARD) POSITION EITHER. TO USE, IT NEEDS TO BE PULLED TOWARDS THE USER.

I WAS PERPLEXED DURING MY FIRST USE WHY AN EXCELLENT SAW JUST DIED. I CALLED AMAZON AND THEY PROMPTLY SENT A REPLACEMENT. WHILE I WAS WAITING FOR IT TO ARRIVE, I TOOK ANOTHER LOOK AT THE "DEFECTIVE" SAW AND REALIZED THE HAND GUARD HAD MOVED FORWARD, ENGAGING THE BRAKE.

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT SAFETY FEATURE FOUND ON ALL GAS SAWS, BUT I WOULD HAZARD A GUESS THAT MOST OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS ARE THE RESULT OF A DEFECTIVE OWNER'S MANUAL, NOT A DEFECTIVE UNIT, SO CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE RETURNING YOURS TO AMAZON!

AS FOR THE SAW, I LOVE IT. I'VE USED MANY GAS AND ELECTRIC CHAINSAWS OVER THE YEARS AND THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST ELECTRIC SAW I'VE EVER OWNED. IT IS QUIET, POWERFUL AND AFTER FAIRLY STEADY USE, HAS YET TO REQUIRE CHAIN RE-TENSIONING. I'VE OWNED REMINGTON SAWS THAT WERE PRETTY GOOD EXCEPT FOR THE TENSIONER.

THIS SAW DOES AN EXCELLENT JOB OF LUBRICATING THE CHAIN. JUST BE SURE TO EMPTY IT WHEN YOU'RE DONE SO IT DOESN'T DRIP DURING STORAGE.

7-2013 UPDATE: AFTER NEARLY 4 YEARS OF REGULAR USE CLEARING BRAZILIAN PEPPER TREES, THE CHAINSAW CONTINUES TO WORK FINE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great saw, but heavy use will strip gears. Can be fixed., March 2, 2011
I do a LOT of wood cutting and I mainly use two of these electric saws. I only pull out the gas saws if I have to go far away. I've downed 4 foot diameter trees with these saws. Here are some tips:

-use heavy duty 12 gauge extention cords for 100 feet or more. I regularly use 2 of them connected together for 200' reach.
-keep it more than 1/3 full of oil and fill it up before you cut through sappy wood like pine. A stuck chain will strip the ring gear.
-the aftermarket Oregon chains work a little better than the Poulan chain.
-watch out for pinched chains. It will stip the ring gear.
-keep the chain sharp! I sharpen about every 2-3 oil fills. I use a diamond rotory file on my dremel. Works awesome. Be sure to lower the ramp in front of the cutting tooth as you sharpen it down so you have goood "bite".

The good thing about electric saws is that you have incredible torque. I mean you can just lean on your saw and cut through wood like butter. The bad thing is that if you bind the chain, it will likely strip the ring gear since it's made of plastic. There is no clutch like on a gas saw. Go easy when cutting sticky wood or really hard wood. Use a plastic wedge to hold open long cuts that might bind.

If you do strip the ring gear, you can replace it, but it isn't easy to get the saw back together again properly. They are only $13 from Poulan. There are a lot of screws and some of them are hidden. Watch out for the washer under the ring gear. You have to be sure to put the oil line back into the slot so it doesn't rub on the ring gear. Took me awhile to figure out why oil was pouring out from my saw after I put it back together. The oil line is easily damaged by the ring gear if it touches it. Get a new $2 drive sprocket before you use the Oregon chains and replace them every once in awile. Getting the torsion spring on the hand guard isn't easy. Set the chain brake "on" before you take the saw apart.

I've cut probably 20 cords of wood with these saws and gone through 6 chains and 8 ring gears. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great saw, September 20, 2006
A big tree limp fell in my backyard. Tree removal companies wanted $350 to remove it. Decided to buy a chain saw and do it my self. I've never used a chain saw before and was intimidated by the gas powered ones. Bought the Poulan based on the positive reviews and it works great. Easily cut through over 14" of wood and not that scary to use. I saved my self a few hundred dollars and have some wood for the winter. Might keep it or sell it on Craigslist.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is a beast, March 1, 2006
Made short work of a ficus tree about 15" across.

Easy to use, and great power. Hard to believe that it is an electric. Used other electric saws in the past that could not hold a flame to this one.

I can think of no drawbacks to this product

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chain saw at this price or any other price..., October 9, 2006
I was in the market for a chainsaw. I chose an electric over a gas one simply because I did not feel like I would use it enough to warrant owning a gas powered one and its associated problem when left unused for long periods of time (gas varnishing, carb issues, etc).

I had my heart set on "The Big Cut" Ryobi 18" electric one from Home depot (Model #: RY43006). At the time, that was the most powerful electric one I knew about - 3.0 HP at 13amps.

All I needed was a chain saw to cut down some huge branches above my house and over my car canopy structure, but I wanted to get a good one since I only plan on going chain saw shopping once.

A few weeks ago, I got an amazon certificate from my work to use as I please. What great timing! I couldn't find the Ryobi 18" electric saw on Amzaon. I did find some other Ryobi model (16"? electric) which for some reason didn't appeal to me. Anyways, I ended up ordering the Poulan PRO 400E 18" after doing some research on the net. Consumer reports rated this saw #2 after the #1 rated Havasue (sp?) electric saw going for around $250... So I decided to go for the Poulan PRO 400E at 4.0 HP and never looked back.

Amazon quoted me a target date over a month after my initial order. I decided I'll wait, but they shipped it to me in two weeks. Not bad.

After buying some chain and bar oil and filling up the tank, I decided to cut in half a pallete which I used to hold an old engine so it would fit in a corner of my workshop. Though about doing the same thing with a circular saw, but too many issues with saw placements around the engine so I decided to use the chain saw. To my amazement, it cut that pallete like butter and in less than a minute. It was too easy.

A week later I decided to try it on a huge tree branch. I figured the wood from the pallete was soft and easy to cut through and the tree branch would be a different story. Started up the chain saw and it went through the branch like butter - I kid you not. I was so amazed at how easy and fast this tool would allow me to debranch my trees that I had fun doing it. I'll keep this thing until it gives up the ghost. I did a few more tree branches (branches were huge) and was amazed at how fast this electric one can cut through wood with very little pressure. I don't see a need for me to ever go for a gas one in my lifetime. This Poulan PRO 400E is an excellent purchase. The only thing I could wish for is a case like one that comes with the Ryobi "Big Cut" 18" electric saw. It does come with a flimsy plastic sleeve and it does work by keeping you from scraping against the blades.

5.0 out of 5 stars No gas issues, April 3, 2006
I love this electric chainsaw. It starts everytime. No more pulling and pulling trying to get it to start. No more issues with carbureator rebulding. And with 4HP, it has plenty of power & speed to match those $200 gas models at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It's more than just a limb saw. I used it to cut down several good size trees up to 2' in diameter plus cut up the trunk for removal from the property. For many homeowner users, this will be a great choice for a general purpose chain saw. Only negative is no case (just a plastic sleeve for the chain). But still a strong value for the $.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective and Poor Design, April 16, 2008
bilyo (Mobile, AL) - See all my reviews
I read many of the positive reviews about this saw and made my purchase on that basis. First, I was very dissapointed in the two delivery delays, but I wasn't in a big hurry. So, I waited as several others did. I don't think Amazon should list a product as "available" if it isn't. When I received the saw, I used it to cut a couple of small, 8"-10" trees and buck them with no problems. I was pleased with the power and convenience.

I do wish Poulan and other electric device manufacturers would be more realistic with their horse power ratings. Four continuous horse power out of a 120 volt motor is nearly impossible. This much power only occurs at or near stalling speed. Based on the amperage rating of the motor (I think it was around 11-12 amps) its able to deliver about 1 1/2 HP continuously. That's more useful information. Why don't they use it?

More to the point, after about 2 hours of use, the chain stopped running even though the motor was running. I contacted both Amazon and the manufacturer. I was given the option of returning the saw for a refund or having it repaired under warranty. I took it to a repair shop to see what was wrong and they determined that the big plastic reduction gear that drives the chain sproket was spinning on its metal shaft and would have to be replaced. I decided that a replacement would probably be no better than the original and returned the saw, at no charge, for a full refund. I was pleased with Amazons service except for the original delivery delays and, as with other reviewers, they tried to charge me a re-stocking fee. After complaining that I didn't return the saw for my convenience and that they weren't going to restock a defective saw, they backed off and refunded everything. As with some others, I spent a substantial amount more and purchased the Makita 16" electric and, while I haven't used it a lot yet, It seems a lot better.

12/2/12 Update: I still don't use the Makita a lot, but when I do, it works hard. I generally use it to cut up logs for turning on the lathe. It is always there, ready to go, when I need it. I wish it hadn't cost so much but, you generally have to pay a price for dependability.