Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 16, 2011
I had waited for years to purchase a riding lawn mower. I shopped around for a long time and finally decided to purchase a Poulan. I had previously purchased a Poulan Snow Blower for my brother just the year before and he loved it.

The mower was on back order for a few months and I eagerly awaited it's arrival just in time for the big grass cutting. The delivery driver was excellent. I unpacked the mower, assembled it as advised by the directions. I checked over everything, fresh gas, checked oil...
I had a wonderful 20 minutes of lawnmowing pleasure until it stopped going up a slight incline. The engine was running fine but it would not move forward or reverse. It could not be pushed.

The persons at the Poulan Company were rude and were not helpful at all!!! I tried on-line contact with the company and was not successful. I finally contacted Amazon and the were speed and very helpful.

It was decided that I would receive another mower since the problem I described with the mower seemed to be a serious one.

Mower number 2 showed up. Excellent delivery person. I repeated the same things I did to the first mower upon arrival with this mower. I saw that this mower was scuffed up, scratched up, bent up and no where as nicely packed as the first one. I started up the mower and did a lap around the house/lawn. I heard some strange noises and happened to look back at the lawn-I ruined the lawn, it looked like a race track was etched in it. Apparently the mower deck was gradually falling and in turn destroying my lawn.

I imediately thought-screwed again.

Obviously there are problems with this Poulan product. I believe I was sent someone else's returned broken mower. I have been so upset and disappointed that I have been trying to have it repaired myself since there is no one from the Poulan Company helping in this matter.

This has the potential to be a great lawnmower choice, tight turning radius, easy operation, perfect size for a medium to large yard----ONLY IF IT WORKS long enough.
44 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2011
I purchased one of these for my Mother's lawn, which is a small lot with minimal front and rear yard grass, but a bit more than she should be cutting with a push mower. Upon assembling the steering wheel and seats, the seat locks were poorly situated and the nylon gears and brackets were cheap and inflexible. The metal bracket that was provided, did not securely fit into the lock slot and the seat had to be bolted down in order for it to remain in one place and keep from slipping back n forth. After struggling with the "minimal" assembly required, the mower was ready to gas up and try. It started easily, went into reverse and we backed out of the garage to head for the front yard. We made one circle/pass around the tiny front yard, with great effort required to steer this mower based on an unusually stiff and inflexible steering set up. Suddenly on the second pass, the mower locked up and would not go forward or in reverse, it just sat there running. The nabor, who is a mechanic, lifted it on a jack and looked underneath the unit and said that there is a cheap metal housing covering over what he believes is gears at one end of the axle and that it was apparent that the cheaply made pulley and whatever is housed inside the metal casing had slipped and locked up. This unit is worthless if it will not drive in forward or reverse and if something so necessary for function could so easily dislodge and lock on one, level pass of a tiny yard. I have been on various tractors since I am 12 years old and currently have a farm sized John Deere for my 15 acres. Knowing tractors as well as I do, I can safely say that this riding mower is one of the poorest designs that I have ever seen and certainly not worth the hefty price tag for a 30 in. riding mower. We tried this Poulan Pro based on their reputation for lawn equipment and the fact that we could not go above a 30 in mower, which is hard to find. Considering the fact that they have 42 in John Deeres for sale locally, for only $300 more than this Poulan model, I would say this purchase was a huge mistake and a defective unit at that! I would suggest to steer clear ... because you will surely have difficulty steering this model and heaven forbid you receive a defective one such as we did! I am awaiting a reply to my request for a return, but have found Amazon to be most wonderful in resolving issues with damaged or defective items very quickly in the past!
on June 10, 2012
Rating: Excellent. I have a fairly hilly and uneven yard (lots of potholes from dogs digging) and this thing works flawlessly without damaging the lawn meaning: wheel kit not needed.

Some tips:

1. This is a friction wheel drive riding mower. If the lawn is too wet water will cause the friction drive to slip <---has not yet happened to me. The only problem I have is that the wheels have poor traction going up hill on wet grass and they spin out (oh well, some small chains should help)

2. Start out slow and mow in top speed (push that lever full foward to travel speed). If you need to slow down just move the lever back to slower speed. The engine, mower portion, and friction drive work best at higher forward speeds.

3. If you do experience friction drive slippage, do following:
a. Lay mower on left side (some gas will leak out so put something to catch it) and use chlorinated brake cleaner to clean the rubber on the friction drive. The brake cleaner will soften the friction drive rubber making it work perfectly.
b. Clean out friction drive area of grass clipps and don't use mower until friction drive is dry.

c. In addition to a and b above, spray some belt dressing on the rubber friction drive wheel. It'll make it more tacky!

That's about it. I am 100% happy with this purchase and my only regrest is that I paid more than $470 for it. It is worth twice that in my book and cuts my mowing time by 50%. It mulches nice so I don't have to worry about grass clippins/bagging it.
on June 15, 2012
I bought this mower about 1 year ago. Like most owners, I have found that the drive does not work. It cannot be adjusted and replacement parts are not available. The mower is sitting in the garage - useless. Poulan Pro should be sued by class action for releasing such a poor product. I will never buy their brand again. After 1 year, I will be taking this mower to the recycling center. Whatever you do, don't buy this product.
on December 7, 2011
I had a hard time trying to order the 26 inch model, and one morning Amazon said I could get the 30 inch model with 1 click so I pushed and within 1 hour I got an

email stating it had been shipped, and 2 days later it arrived. With very simple assembly every thing checked out . I was not sure how I would like the cut as I have always used front throw reel on my bermuda grass, but it does a wonderful job and is very relaxing. Always wear hearing protection as the engine is noisy, but then I am used to a smaller engine with my walk behind. This mower needs a small grass catcher like the one shown on the new 30 inch model.

on August 12, 2011
The best riding mower I've ever used. I got it fully assembled, added the oil and gas and it started and rode perfectly. The cut is clean meaning there's no mower lines. My lawn is flat but not perfectly smooth yet it still mowes nicely. It works much better than my old riding tractor. The steering felt a little tight at first but once I got used to it, it's perfectly fine! I am very pleased with this mower and it exceeds what a person would expect for the price! When the time comes, I will buy another Poulan riding mower because it does the job better than any other riding mower/ tractor I've ever owned/used. I give it SIX stars.
on November 21, 2011
Purchased this Item from a local home improvement store without throughly researching it first. The mower had its share of plastic outter parts starting with the seat which turned out to be very uncomfortably. The ride was hard and it stuggled riding up a small incline. It would lunge forward everytime I released the brake pedal and the turn ratio was not so great. I had a very uneasy feeling operating this machine. I ended up returning it back to the store after three days. An employee stated that although the Poulan Pro30 was new to the store for 2011, everyone that they sold was returned. In my opinion, it's a very cheaply made product for it's high cost.
on June 25, 2011
The lawnmower arrived in good condition without any damage. There was a seat adjustment tab that was supposed to be temporarily attatched to the bottom of the seat with some tape but it had fallen off during transit. It took about ten extra minutes to figure out where the tab was supposed to be positioned in order to complete the relatively simple seat assembly step.
I've only had the opportunity to mow the lawn three times in the month that I've had it (due to our on-going drought), but the mower cuts well and starts up without any problems. It does lose a little traction if turning and going up hill at the same time, but this is not a big issue to me.
This is not a high-end mower but I believe I received a good product for the price.
on May 2, 2012
I agree with everyone that has had trouble with this mower! We bought our mower in March 2011. I could not even use this mower on my yard! I let my father in law try it for his yard that is completely flat. Guess what? It wont pull in his yard either and now I am replacing a transmission part on this mower! To the ones that want to know it is the cover wheel clutch that has to be replaced due to not pulling and this is a plastic on metal part!!!
on April 19, 2016
Bought this mower after 9 years push mowing my yard
Returned it yesterday bad investment used the mower once
Engaged the blades it sounds like the blade was going to break
The ride was OK narrow wheel base makes my yard a challenge
The clutch is a bit jumpy (go slow on the brake peddle
Maybe the problem was just the one I bought would I buy another one maybe
Not a bad rig for the lower purchase price