Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now bgg

on September 15, 2011
I purchased this saw about 2 and a half years ago from a Lowe's store near me. The saw performs fantastic. It chops through whatever you throw at it (within reason). We had a big ash tree that fell in our yard from a storm about 6 weeks ago. I used my Poulan saw to clear much of the limbs, and good sized branches away. As I was cutting through a good sized piece, The gearbox started to make some noise, then just the motor was turning and no power to the chain. Being a carpenter, I have fixed all my own power tools so I threw it on the workbench and started to tear it down. Well, the PLASTIC drive gear for the chain had been chewed up. The motor drive gear is STEEL and the drive gear for the chain is PLASTIC! What do you think will eventually happen? I called a Poulan parts dealer and repair shop close to me, and they told me Poulan does not sell the drive gear I need. It is not what they call a serviceable part. All they sell is a replacement oil cap, and a new chain sprocket for my saw, that's it. Once anything internal goes, I guess that's how they get you to buy another one. Bottom line: The saw performed great, but I am really disappointed in Poulan for their replacement parts selection. Oh, and by the way the proper chain that fits this saw is a quest to find too. According to the Oregon replacement boxes, an S56 chain fits this model. It does not. It's too long. When I downloaded a manual on mine, they say you need a chain with 55 drive links. I read further on the internet that some people had trouble finding a chain, and they wound up using an Oregon S54 or an S55 replacement chain. This saw is not even listed on the replacement chain boxes as a model it fits.
2525 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2010
Picked this up a Lowes to cut down a "weed" tree that we let get far too big (because we liked the shade) between our neighbor's fence and our fence (and engulfing our chain link fence and starting to push up their patio). It was cheaper than finding and then paying someone to do it for us.

It worked well. Plenty of power. Gave my arms quite a workout. It seemed to just stop working once, but turned out to be the safety handle out of position. The chain came off the drive a couple of times, but it went back on easy enough. The chain had to be sharpened a lot, but that was due to my hitting dirt frequently to get as much of the root system I could out, so I cannot blame the chain, however finding a replacement chain was a challenge.

Per the manual, the chain is 16" with 55 Drive Links. Part # 966-051601
0.05 gauge 3/8" pitch

Per Oregon's website, this is the replacement chain for this Poulan PLN3516F: Oregon 16-Inch Semi Chisel Chain Saw Chain Fits McCulloch, Stihl S55. I ordered this from Amazon and it was the same size and it fit onto this PLN3156F pefectly.

Note that I found it easiest to put the chain onto the bar while it was OFF the rest of the chainsaw and then put it around the drive as I pushed the bar onto it's mount, both at the same time.

A replacement bar is P/N 966-051301

It did not come with bar oil, so I had to goto the local True Value and pick a bottle up for 4 bucks.

Now I just have to find the time to clean it, ugh.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2010
This is really a powerful electric chain saw. Took down a 12 inch oak tree with no problem. The tension control feature and automatic oiler are a real plus and time saver. It does weigh a bit more than most electric chain saws but, then again, it has more horsepower. Be sure you pull the protection bar all the way toward you until you hear it click or the saw will not start. Out of the box, the protection bar appears to be all the way back but it's not, it still has one click to go before the saw will operate. I would definitely recommend this saw.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2010
Owned 2 gas chainsaws and a Craftsman electric chainsaw and there is no comparison, this chainsaw is awesome.

I thought I would wear out the easy dial to tighten but I was wrong.

Oregon S54 14"/16" chain fits and lasts the longest for me. Fits tight on loosest setting so when the chain stretches you have a long way to go before you have to replace it.

The engineers at Poulan are awesome and so is the management. Nowadays you see too many managers judging engineers on how much money they can save the company by cutting corners and I commend Poulan.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2012
Purchased this item to clean up some debris from a storm it lasted 2 uses and the chain stopped spinning so i called the customers service # which gave me two phone numbers to call here to get it looked at. One stated they refuse to work on Poulan products the other # was disconnected. Call back again again was told to call three more # all which stated they did not work on these products. So to make a long story short i opened up the saw and the plastic wheel was broken after a few hours of cutting up wood. Do not waste your time on this saw and if you do make sure you purchase it with a warranty as CS for the company is terrible!!!!
on December 28, 2011
I bought the Poulan PLN3516F electric chainsaw to cut dry pecan firewood in smaller pieces for my patio fire pit. It worked ok on the first half dozen cuts, then it locked up. I turned it over and could see that the shaft holding the chain sprocket inside the housing had pulled out. It looks like the metal shaft rotates in a metal bushing, but it is encased in the plastic body of the chain saw. The plastic encasing the bushing and shaft was deformed and the shaft was left sitting at an angle that would not allow the chain to move.

I followed the directions prior to using the chainsaw. I was keeping the chain at the correct tension. It was full of chain oil and is suppossed to be self lubricating. The cut did not put the chain in a bind in any way. My conclusion is that the plastic holding the shaft and bushing in place was defective or not strong enough to handle the tension.

It may have been an isolated case, but I won't buy another Poulan chainsaw, and I am going back to gasoline powered saws. They seem to be better built.

I returned it to Lowes and they gave me a full return.

I hope this review helps someone.
on March 13, 2011
I have been looking for an electric chainsaw(did not want the gas can storage)for a number of weeks. I found this unit at Amazon and compared other prices on line at other places. I found the unit at Amazon with some extras at a savings of 15%.
The unit works right out of the box,(with the addition of oil to the tank), and does a great job for home use. The 16F is a perfect size for tree branches, and small trees. I had some tree damage in my yard from the latest CA wind storm, and the saw chewed through the branches and 8in tree with no problems. In fact, I cut the trees so easy that I was not paying enough attention to how much stuff I had cut, and bingo the chain came off. After a few cuttings, one should check the adjustment of the chain; and re-adjust the tension. Read the instruction manual a few times before using, and follow the use guide to acheive the best results. The unit was as described in the product guide on Amazon, and preformed better than expected.
When I ordered the saw, I also ordered the oil and an extra chain, just in case of chain failure. The saw does not come with oil, which you will need to do your cutting. I ordered to EXACT Oregon chain as the one on the unit, in the event I would need a backup.
The unit is very powerful, so be sure and take the safety issues seriously every time you use the unit; safety glasses, gloves, and proper clothing; long pants, long sleeves! YOU will get kick backs, and flying chips during usage.
I would recommend the Poulan for your home use, and the extra chain, along with the bar oil for your purchase. My only issue is the saw does not come with a case, which would make a complete package.
on February 26, 2011
After going through about four chain saws in 25 years I finally got tired of mixing gas/oil and decided to get this saw for a small project of about six trees---sizes five to seven inches in diameter and thirty feet tall.
Hoping I could at least get them down and worry about cutting them up later.

Well at the end of a day, all trees were down and completely cut up and I used about 3/4 of a quart of chain oil but this rascal cut through those trees like a hot knife through butter.

I recommend this saw highly and I am very particular about what I recommend. Great product.
on July 29, 2010
This chainsaw is very sharp and last a while. The only problem I have is that I can't find the exact chain replacement from Poulan. I've found Oregon chain equivalent which I found not as sharp as the original.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2011
This machine is GREAT!!! As an elderly man the ease of use makes this saw a pleasure. Powerful , no pulling a starter cord ,no gas tanks a pleasure.