Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 4, 2012
The Poulan PO17542LT 42 inch mower is a solid and well made machine that has the horse power for most small to medium lawns of level ground and minor slopes.
The seat and steering position is comfortable for even a big operator like myself (6'4 280 lbs) and the controls are nicely placed around the small but comfortable steering colum.
The left side cup holder was a nice touch for bottled water and the foot pedal is well placed.
The deck lowers to six levels and engageing the twin blades is smooth along with a sticky shifter located on the right side within easy reach.
The safety built into the seat works quickly should the operator fall off the mower while in operation.
There is a manual overide lever on the right front panel below the steering to allow the engine to idle while the rider is off the mower.
The engine is a good quality but noisy Briggs and Stratton with a good transmission.
The transmission is of partial aluminum construction and must be treated with care for long term use, practice and an underestanding of its limits will render long service life.
The engines power and maitainence are simple issues for inexperienced operators but the noise levels are excessive for this engine type and hearing and breathing protection are serious necessities along with a good wide brimmed hat on hot sunny days.
The mower sips fuel reasonably at full throttle but the tank is only slightley more than a gallon for smaller yards, a larger lawn will require a refueling by simply lifting the front hood.
A lighting system is mounted on the front with a convienent switch on the right front panel.
Operating this mower after dark is NOT reccomended.
The turning radius is quick and tight and the tires dig in firmly. The ride is quite bumpy which is typical for this size mower so take it easy on the yard.
Service calls to the Poulans help line were transferred to Sears for some reason but my machine was not listed with their records so no basic questions were answered, thanks Sears!
Pros: Great price, easy to operate, safe to operate and reasonably comfortable.
Cons: Aluminum transmission requires gentle handling OR increased maitenence if operated negligently.
4 stars and a good buy.
on October 20, 2012
I have received the 17.5 HP Poulan Riding Mower in perfect condition and very easily set the riding mower ready to cut grass. I cut my yard with ease with the 18 inch turning radius capability and was fun doing so. With a 42 inch wide area cut, provides less time for cutting my yard. It has plenty of power and 6 speeds that was easy to use including the reverse capability. It started up quickly and performed beautifully. I am completely satisfied with the mower and recommend it to anyone that wants a good powerful mower with ease of starting and use. I really like the safety feature when the mower is running and the operator gets off the mower, the motor shuts down. No regrets purchasing this fine mower. I was also satisfied with the time of delivery and efficiency of the ABF transportation Company for the mower.
on August 3, 2012
Couldn't wait to get this bad boy after weeks of watching my grass grow at our new home. Shipping took about a week but it was worth the wait. It was shipped in a make shift crate of wood and carboard and was on a pallet. Easy assembly. It had oil in it already just added gas and cut some grass. She started up with no problems and by now my grass was about mid thigh level and this bad boy just plowed right through it. This is my first riding mower and I think the briggs and stratton motor it very reliable and powerful and easy to maintain. Good mower!
review image review image
77 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
My previous lawn tractor was a Sears Craftsman and served us well for several years. This unit is a duplicate of the Sears model in quality and function but at a much better price. I purchased a bagger assembly and use the tractor for mowing and leaf removal. The unit handles well and would be useful in a yard several times the size of ours. The Briggs and Stratton motor is powerful and, based upon my experience, will give us many years of service. The free shipping from Amazon clinched the deal for me and I was surprised that it arrived ready to drive after about 30 minutes of minor assembly.
on June 16, 2015
I did not get a well made machine. I have not owned this mower for under a month and have only used it twice. The 1st time the blades were not moving. I put my hand under the deck and freed them from the deck. The 2nd time I used the machine I went over a bump and the front wheel fell off. I called poulan customer service and they are willing to send me the 4 parts I need to repair the machine (at a cost). I am a 53 year old female with limited machine repair knowledge. I was hoping to get 3 years out of my over a $1000.00 purchase..I am not even going to get 3 spins.
on January 1, 2013
This may be my fault (don't know a lot about mowers) but this mower is very loud. I might be doing something wrong, but just don't know.
on July 6, 2013
I have always wanted a riding mower and this one is great. I would highly recommend this mower. Well worth the money.

See 1 answered question