5.0 out of 5 stars Poulon problems
I have this mower and it came with an insert beneath the side discharge vent. This plastic plate keeps the grass clippings or leaves from being discharged and chops them into tiny particles. I removed my plate or 'plug' as the grass kept causing the mower to shut off as it was very thick grass.

As to the complaint about the mower not starting after the first...
Published on July 30, 2008 by Alix K.

3.0 out of 5 stars something's missing...
i'm 34, and i've had briggs & stratton engines on mowers ever since i could push one. these engines are bulletproof...

Published on October 27, 2012 by jason s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poulon problems, July 30, 2008
This review is from: Poulan PO500N22S 22-Inch Side Discharge Push Mower with 4.75 HP Briggs & Stratton Engine (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)

As to the complaint about the mower not starting after the first time please check to insure there is adequate fuel/oil in their respective tanks (and not oil in the gas tank and vise versa). Next, check to be sure the foam air filter isn't blocked with dirt and grass. If it is, remove and wash it. Next, if all else fails, remove the spark plug and check for fouling. If the contacts are not clean and sharp, replace the plug. Plugs are inexpensive and not covered by warrenty. This should do the trick. The plug the manufacturer installed lasted me eight hours. Eight. The manual says to replace spark plugs after 100 hours. Don't believe it. And the spark gap for this machine is .03

If you have done all of this and the mower still won't start, go to [...] for a dealer near you and call ahead to make certain they do warrenty repairs and, if so, under what circumstances in case there is a hidden cost to you. There is a two year warrenty, you know. I enjoy using my mower to cut nearly an acre of grass and, while the mower and I got off to a bad beginning, we're doing great now.

3.0 out of 5 stars something's missing..., October 27, 2012

the last one i had (that prompted this purchase) was 8 years old, and i'll be honest, i've treated it like crap, left it in the rain, hardly ever changed the oil, and it still kept singing. it finally started burning oil about a month ago, repeatedly fouling the plug. it now has less compression than my dog when he farts.

change your oil, fellas. :D haha...

since a new mower always costs less than a honing and ring overhaul, thanks to labor or time, i bought an almost exact replacement. this one runs like a champ, it's light weight, strong running...

my ONLY beef is the deck.

my last one was the exact same chassis stamping and this engine's a 500 compared to my old 550 (that's torque rating), a difference which is, pff, hardly missed. my old one, however, had two extra arc pieces, fore and aft, welded under the deck, which this one's missing.

it doesn't sound like a lot, but those extra pieces provide and maintain a wall for a whirlwind created by the blade that helps with discharge, as well as strengthen the deck, eliminating chassis twist over mild hills.

since those two pieces are gone on this one, the grass gets sucked up by the blades and blown up and out to the corners of the deck, where the wheels are bolted, then settles to the ground, leaving a booger of a trail at the left rear wheel.

then when you pull backwards, the trail is exact opposite, at the right front. ahh, physics.

if you're a nazi about mowing, like every 4 days, i don't see it being that big of a deal, but with a hectic schedule like mine, and as much erratic rains as we've had lately, it's worth having a mower with a bit extra beef and common-sense design to handle the unexpected or ill-planned jobs. the only thing i can figure is they wanted to cut weight or save on production time...? bzzt, they failed.

all i really wanted was a new motor for my old one, so essentially, i got one. my old deck spits way better with the deck arcs installed, and it's still in great shape. the motor's just bunk. i essentially bought a brand new, again bulletproof, donor motor until i teach myself how to weld. :D

the instructional and parts manuals only show and itemize a drawing of the deck from the top view. there's no way to tell if those goofy extra curved parts were ever supposed to have been included.

thanks for your time, and i hope you guys found this helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars This mower is simple and it just works, September 30, 2012
I had a Murray mower for 15 years with exactly the same Briggs and Stratton Engine except that one had a 4 H.P. Engine. This mower is almost identical except a slightly different body. They have simplified it and made it lighter. The most important part of the mower is the engine. You can't go wrong with a Briggs & Stratton Engine and this one is no exception. My front yard tends to get very thick and I was very happy to find that with the extra power this mower just zipped right through the thick grass without missing a beat. I noticed that there are several reviews where people claim that they used it one time and couldn't get it work again. Well I'm telling you that those people either are not telling the truth or didn't do something correct when following the simple instructions. You get the mower fully assembled. They ship it with a 18 oz bottle of oil which is exactly the correct amount of oil which you pour in the same place that you check the oil. Then you fill it up with gasoline that contains LESS THAN 10% ETHANOL if possible. To start it you have to push the primer three times after it is actually pumping fuel. If you haven't used the mower for awhile it will take a couple of pumps before it has any fuel to prime. You can hear and feel when it's pumping gas. At this point prime it 3 times. Then it almost always starts on the first or second pull. If you happen to flood the carburetor (should be rare) let it sit for a few minutes and try to start it again. You also can't expect this mower to hold up if you go out and try to chopping down shrubs or hit a bunch a rocks. If you need to do that you can go spend 2 or 3 times the price to get a mower that will handle that kind of abuse. This mower is a medium duty mower and it will last if you take care of it. I know because my last one lasted 15 years like I said. I am no slouch when I mow either. I have a very steep front yard and when I mow I go straight up the hill because it is better exercise that way. I recommend this mower. You will not be disappointed. For the price it is worth it and works very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars good basic mower, May 23, 2012
This is a good, very basic mower. It's lightweight -- easy to maneuver. It starts on first or second try. The con on this mower is that each wheel has to be adjusted individually.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little machine, April 12, 2012
STL (San Antonio, TX, US) - See all my reviews
this mower does the job at a price that I think is right. Started after some gas and oil with one pull, the only thing you have to assemble out of the box is two screws for the handle

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice mower, January 30, 2012
Mower comes fully assembled, add gas & oil, pump primer, pull rope x3, start pushing. There is no gas lever which concerned me until I used it, plenty of reserve power, the automatic governor keeps the engine at a proper rpm the entire time. Easy to use, washes up easily after use (let it cool first).

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect basic mower, July 6, 2013
Light weight and easy to start right out of the box the mower is perfect for my yard size 1 hour from start to finish great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD MOWER, July 1, 2013
very good mower, cuts tall grass better than my !!!VERY EXPENSIVE HONDA!!! I did find the same one for $20.00 less after I bought this one!!!OH WELL!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Husband Loves It, June 25, 2013
This is a great lawnmower. The one we had for years finally broke down. So i purchase my husband a new one and he just love it. especially the 22 inch and the great engine. Received in the box ready to mow the lawn

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, June 25, 2013
I was a little concerned with this being my first lawn mower, but it has more than exceeded my expectations. I am female and small in stature, 5' 96lbs, and I have no problem cranking this mower on the first pull. It's lightweight and maneuverable enough for me to cut my entire yard! Thanks so much!!