5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Blower
Published on January 18, 2009 by J. Weeks

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken
Published on December 16, 2007 by B. Pinto

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Blower, January 18, 2009
This review is from: Poulan Pro PR624ES 24-Inch 208cc LCT Gas Powered Two-Stage Snow Thrower With Electric Start 961920037 (Lawn & Patio)
This came by truck in a wood framed heavy duty cardboard crate. Wood skid on the bottom and wood support frame on top. It arrived without a scratch on the crate so that impressed me...I mean it(the crate)looked showroom fresh so that was great if not incredible. Unpacking and setup was impressive,..this machine is well built and very much commercial rated. The tines have shear bolts instread of shear pins which I like. The engine came with oil and started right up after adding the gas and hitting the electric start button once. The boom swings smoothly via a control lever which is nice, and it also has a headlamp. The handle bars attach with 4 (not two) wing bolts which I liked,..no skimping. Just a great machine and hogged right thru the drifts. I am very pleased with the price and quality. Especially the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reliable snow thrower!, February 2, 2010
This is my firt snow thrower I have ever used and I'm very satisfied with the performance and reliability of this machine. The machine came crated as previous reviews describe. I uncrated it the nite before the snow storm. The assembly took me about 30 minutes as I carefully read the instructions. It came with oil in the tank but it was rather low so I added a bit. The powerful motor roared to life on the second pull. The machine is heavy but the variable traction control made steering it a breeze with very little effort. One of the features that I really liked was that there's no cranking to turn the exhaust chute to the left or to the right. A knob on the control panel easily glides to the left and right to move the chute. I did not get an opportunity to test the effectiveness of the headlamp as I used the machine during the daytime.

The snow thrower handled the snow like a true champ taking it down to the bare asphalt on the driveway. The neighbors were still shoveling long after I was done! :) The snow really flies as it exits the chute and easily clears the snow drifts.

Overall I rate this model a 5. No more back aches after you use this baby. I highly recommend it.

Oh ya, one more thing, make sure you check the model number on the box against your order before you sign the paperwork on delivery. Amazon royally screwed up my first order and I got a lesser grade model!!! Unfortunately I didn't check and it wasn't until I began putting the first machine together that I realized it had no headlamp and no electric start. I had to send it back and wait until the right machine arrived. It was a royal pain so pls take this to heart so that it doesn't happen to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performer, January 7, 2009
This is my First snow thrower, and I had done some research before buying anything. I was about to buy one of the big-box-stores affiliated brand snow thrower, but the Poulan-Pro was only slightly more expansive yet proved to have much more to offer such as the headlight (great addition), the easier to use chute control handle, and even the color is better ;)

we have a VERY long driveway which was the reason for getting this (no way I could shovel THAT much snow) and this thing will clear the 100ft driveway + back path to house + ~100ft street walkway in about 30-45 minutes at 4"-6" of snow - heck, I even clear the neighbors area where the snowplows block the entrance to the street. this thing works like a charm!

the only reason why I didn't give it 5 stars are the fact that it came with 1 tire deflated (it's losing air every couple of days- I've contacted customer support, and am awaiting a response about that), and the fact that the skid plates have gotten rusty very quickly - after 1st use. again - this is my first machine so maybe I'm expecting too much of it, but I'm learning as I go. Other than that - this thrower blows! and FAR!

Definitely a step up from the 'lower end' 2 stage throwers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Deal in Town, October 28, 2009
Bought this unit in November 2008 for $649. Couldn't find anything else under $800-$900 with a headlight, remote chute control, auger lock and variable speed settings. Did I mention free freight delivery right to the house and the friendly driver who helped me take the thing off the semi-trailer and then carted it to my garage. I was lucky this guy was so helpful.

It was extremely well packaged, took only about 30 minutes from opening the box, doing some minor assembly, adding oil and gas, to firing up the engine. This unit is surprisingly well built, loaded with features and fairly easy to handle. I wanted to wait until a full season of use and non-use before evaluating. This machine handled a Western New York winter without a problem. Started each time on the first or second pull and never gave an issue during the year. Cuts through deep snow without bogging down.

The only thing I think needs improvement is the length of the handles. They need to be a bit longer to help create greater down leverage when turning or maneuvering. (Found my rotator cuffs aching after each use. I was surprised this happened considering that I am no couch potato. Note: After using my daughter's Yard Machine snow thrower to clear her yard, I never experienced any similar discomforts).

Since the 2009 winter season is looming around the corner, I went to fire the beast up to ensure it was ready for battle. Choke on, fuel on, primed and ready. First pull it fires right up and runs smooth as glass. Now I can only hope I really don't have to do this for real.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken, December 16, 2007
This item arrived with little assembly required. However it also arrived with what would appear to be a manufacture defect. The machine is essentially useless. The pully that engages the auger is not aligned and the belt will not stay on. In fact the belt was chewed up before the machine even ran. I am having a hard time getting in touch with the warranty dept to have the machine replaced. When you are counting on a snow blower in the middle of winter, this is quite disappointing!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Home Owners Defense Against Back Ache!!, January 10, 2009
After spending weeks of research on snow throwers and multipel trips to BORG and mom and pop dealerships, I've decided to pull the trigger on this Poulan Pro PR5524ES Pro 5.5HP 24-Inch 2 Stage Snow Thrower with Electric Start and remote chute. Poulan Pro is actually owned by Husqvarna.

Delivery: This item arrived pretty fast and the driver was kind enough to use his lift gate and palette lift to haul it to our garage.

Packaging: Amazing and the box is very sturdy and has a built in palette.

Assembly: Really easy to assemble, no missing parts, was able to run the machine 15 mins after taking it out of the package.

Instruction Manual: Easy to read and easy to follow.

Finish: Great finish on the machine.

Unit: Wow, not a lot of plastic on this thing. The chute is solid and very easy to control. The unit looks like it will hold up well. The headlight was great addition and we've gotten 3 heavy snows already and this thing cleared over 7 inches of snow like it was nothing. The integrated toolbox is neat and actually functional. Speeds on the gears are pretty easy to control. Say bye bye to them nagging back aches once you have this snow blower on your arsenal.

Overall, I highly recommend this snow blower to any homeowner, it is the perfect snow blower and it drives itself, pretty effortless to use. I got a great deal on because I got this unit for $649.00 with free shipping from Northern Tool through Amazon and definitely glad that I pulled the trigger because the price on this unit went up to $899.00 two weeks of ordering it.

Hoping this review can help other homeowners like me researching for the best bang for the buck snow blower.

Kind regards,
Chris DLP

1.0 out of 5 stars Bait and switch, January 6, 2010
Purchased a 624es on Amazon through Northern Tool; was shipped a 5524es in its place . The product received has a retail value of at least $150.00 less than the machine paid for . Contacted Northern Tool and was told the machines are essentially the same , another lie !! Can't believe that Amazon still has Northern's products on their web site .Poulan Pro PR624ES 24-Inch 208cc Gas Powered 2-Stage Snow Thrower With Electric Start (Non-CARB Compliant) #961920029

3.0 out of 5 stars great machine/poor service, January 9, 2010
1.Quick shipping, yellow freight did a great job
2.Throughs snow well
3.Broken when I received it, (pull strart spring broken).
4.Customer service lacking, can't seem to get part to fix it. Going on a week with slow action at best, very friendly but no answer!!!
5.No Light.

5.0 out of 5 stars PoulanPro PR624ES, October 24, 2012
Ordered from Amazon online rather than going to local Home Cheapo store since price was the same, tax rate the same, but delivery was FREE to the garage door - I didn't have to do anything but open the carton and assemble. I'm one that prefers to do the assembly myself, just to make sure it's right. The assembly was quite simple, the one mechanical piece that required a tool to assemble was the chute attachment, and Poulan included a suitable wrench to install it. The assembly process required only two tools from my own, one a packing knife to open the cardboard crate and cut the retaining nylon straps holding the unit to the crate and a couple parts from rattling, and a 7/16" socket to remove two retaining screws that were holding the front skids to the crate. It took me a little longer than the advertised 20 minutes or so, but I like to ensure I am familiar with all the mechanical functionality of the unit, so I took my time with it in the garage in good weather.
After finished with the assembly, and checkout of all the controls, I checked the oil - was filled but not quite to the indications on the dipstick so I added about 3 ounces more and then filled the tank with gas. Wanting to get a feel for the ease of starting manually, I decided to forego the electric start routine the first time, primed the engine the suggested 2 pumps, inserted the safety key, flipped the switch to 'on', opened the fuel valve, set the choke to full, and first pull it started - with relatively little effort to pull the rope. This ease of starting impressed me. I then proceeded to check out alll the motion by engaging the auger, then the drive in all speeds both forward and reverse - all worked just fine. I then shut the engine off, and connected the electric cord and restarted using the electric starter - it sounded extremley strong - much stronger than expected, so I suspect it will start in even the very coldest temperatures.
All in all, this unit is well designed for a 'consumer grade' unit, and appears that it will perform very well - I'm comparing this to a 1985 vintage Craftsman 5HP 24" unit it's replacing - it still works, is actually a little heavier built, but this one looks to be more capable of throwing snow expecially with the toothed auger to break up hard pack - which is something the old unit failed miserably at, so the furrow the snow plow driver leaves at the end of the drive should be no challenge for this one, and I should also be able to clear the curbside by the mailbox as well.
I'd strongly recommend this unit over those of a slightly lower cost - mainly my choice was swayed by the following criteria: more metal components (like chute), very good reputation engine, larger tires, chain drive, and taller intake, so for the $50 more than the comparable model it's worth the extra.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed but resolved, January 30, 2010
Received this snowblower about a week after I ordered it. Unfortunately it did not work. Contacted the Northern Tool & Equipment Company and they said to take it somewhere and have it fixed, at their expense. As we do not have a truck, this would have been an ordeal to get this somewhere as it is a pretty large machine. Also, we were in between blizzards, here in Omaha, so we made a few calls and no one would have been able to even get to it for about 3 weeks. After explaining this to Northern Tool they agreed to take it back and refund our money. They had the freight company pick it up and our money has been refunded. After dealing with Northern Freight I believe the fact that this snowblower did not work was just an unfortunate circumstance. They dealt with us in a timely and honest manner. Had we not been buried under from one blizzard with more snow on the way, we might have had more time to deal with this locally. But I am disappointed as it looked like a nice machine.

Rate and Discover Movies