4.0 out of 5 stars Good Hedge Trimmer with Quirks
Picked this up as I have about 100 yards of hedges. Prior to this hedge trimmer I had the Weed Eater Excalibur and picked this Poulan due to it having the choke on the opposite side from the Weed Eater version (I hated that choke location).

Published on May 4, 2012 by Southernboy

1.0 out of 5 stars Used it 3 times then blades stopped working
I was very pleased with this trimmer when I first got it. The motor started easily and the cutting power was easily enough for the light trimming I needed to do. Unfortunately I was only able to use it 3 times. I was busy trimming a bush and the blades stopped. Looks like the auto clutch failed.
I am still figuring out how to get it repaired.
Published 7 months ago by Duncan Whitcher

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Hedge Trimmer with Quirks, May 4, 2012
This review is from: Poulan Pro PP2822 22-Inch 28cc 2 Cycle Gas Powered Dual Sided Hedge Trimmer (Lawn & Patio)

I was very impressed with the operation and cutting ability. Left clean cuts and flew right through up to half-inch thick hedge branches with no stalling or problems. The rotating handle was much handier than I thought it would be and is a huge plus for this Poulan.

There are a few things to be aware of with this hedge trimmer, though. If you have hedges where you are cutting at face height or higher be aware that the exhaust will blow right into your face and eyes unless you are cutting left-handed. Also, there are no supports on the underside to help hold the trimmer above your shoulder height.

Overall I'd recommend the trimmer as it powers through the hedges much better than the Weed Eater trimmer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great trimmer for the money, a little heavy, May 3, 2012
This trimmer was delivered new in the box as promised. It comes with the oil needed to mix with one gallon of gas. It's easy to start and runs great. This is a very powerful trimmer and cuts through shrubs easily. It is very nice not to have to worry about dragging an extension cord around. The rear handle pivots to 3 different settings allowing you to hold the timmer at the proper angle for trimming. I find my self changing it a lot while trimming.

Although I am very pleased with this trimmer here are the reasons I didn't give it 5 stars:
- It's a little heavy at 15 lbs. Trimming above waist high gets a little tiring. There are higher end trimmers out there that weigh closer to 10 lbs, but this one is half the price so I can live with that.

- When turned on one side it blows exaust right in your face. I suppose the exaust has to come out somewhere but it's seems like I use that handle setting more than not. It would be better for me if the exaust was on the other side. When trimming the tops of shrubs it's not a problem.

- I find myself changing the handle setting 3 or 4 times for every shrub. Not sure if there's a better design out there.

- Poulan has decided that you are not capable of fine tuning the carburetor. They have made the high and low adjustments impossible to fine tune without a special tool. I had to fork out another $9 for the tool on Amazon, so add that to the cost of this trimmer. If you have experience with any 2 stroke lawn tools you know you will need to fine tune the high and low speed adjustments periodically.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poulan Pro Gas Hedge Trimmer, April 14, 2012
Unit was received, unpacked, gassed up and oil added. Starting following instructions was easy with a start after a couple of pulls. I used it to cut back large decorative grass stands - a springtime project that normally took several hours with an electric was reduced to 30-45 minutes. I really like my new trimmer !

5.0 out of 5 stars Beat it to death (almost), September 15, 2012
I beat this machine like it owed me money. The blade locked up after half an hour. Like the manual instructed, I loosened the blade bolts (remember if the bottom is turned so will the top, you need a socket to counter the affect) and it ran like new again. I put it in some one inch plus shrubs for another hour, and this machine just came out smoking and ready for more (I think the oil mixture was off). Beyond worth the money. What ever plastic they use is as good as steel. Get this thing and forget those 120 volt cords around your neck. Oh yes, in about 20 tests it started up on the very first pull every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done!, May 6, 2012
R. Eden (Cedar Hill, TX) - See all my reviews
I picked this up at Lowes for a little more money, but I like being able to exchange yard equipment locally. (needed much too often!)

This was my first gas hedge trimmer. Previously owned electrics would constantly jam on my 150' long and 8' high hedge. Branches on the edges are .25 TO .75" mixed with lots of leaves.

As they say, use the right tool for the right job... and this Prolan Pro gas hedge trimmer is the right tool! It cut through everything easily! Even thick branches were no match. I think I had two jams on thick (.75") ones, but I just backed off and it got it on the second pass. I'm very impressed.

Only complaint is the on/off switch is a toggle not a momentary off like my other tools. Once I noticed I needed to turn it on, it started right up. :)

Anyway, this baby gets the job done.. not sure about reliability yet, but I'm hopeful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poulan Pro PP2822 22in 28cc 2 Cycle Gas Powered Duel Sided Hedge Trimmer, May 8, 2012
So far so good! It has started with little effort each time I've used it and does a nice trim job. I did a lot of research on various brands before choosing Poulan, and I couldn't find much negative but lots of positive from other users. I didn't want to invest a lot of money, and for the price, I am very pleased. The purchase was easy with Amazon, I got free shipping, and it got here fast. Happy with Amazon too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't write reviews but........................., May 17, 2013
I have been a mechanic/tool person for the last 50 of my 63 years and this is the BEST tool I have ever owned. Took it out of the box, threw away the instructions, fueled it up and proceeded to kick a** on my neighbor's 15' tall grossly overgrown monster 100' long hedge. Here I am ONE hour later, having a cool one, basking in the warm afterglow of what my neighbor will find upon his arrival home: A completely decimated green Goliath courtesy of this little Poulan Hedge trimmer. This little guy fired up instantly ran perfectly, idled better than my car( And for a two-stroke you guys know) and had ample power to cut through some really oversized branches. If you are on the fence about buying a gas trimmer, hop down & buy this one. It's reasonable, made extremely well, has plenty of power for even the toughest trimming jobs & will get it done!! Kudos to Poulan for such a good machine!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Trimmer...It Works !!, July 1, 2013
I had a 24v battery trimmer that was only a year old and the gearbox stopped working. Was told the Polan Pro was the only way to go if I wanted something that would get the job done. I like everything about the Polan. It starts very well if you follow the simple instructions and prime it properly. It will cut through anything I tried including sapplings one inch in diameter. I accdentally cut through a few pieces of wire fence and it didn't damage the cutter. The cutter seem to be very high quality. They stay sharp and look rugged. I use the trimmer in place of my string trimmer quite often as well. If you don't mind bending down, it does a great job without trimmings scattering everywhere, including on me. The trimmer is heavier than a battery unit and if you do a lot of overhead trimming, you will want to rest your arms every once in a while. This is not a toy. It's a great working machine and I am very happy with it. And I am not one to take time to write positive reviews, but the Polan deserves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and It cuts like going through butter!, May 21, 2012
L. C. Feigin (Denville, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this after my two electric trimmers constantly jammed as my hedges matured and thickened. It was sturdily packed in a heavy cardboard box even though manufactured in China, like everything else I own. The unit is quite solidly built, and pulling the starting cord is easy although it takes about 8 pulls. I was truly amazed how it rapidly sliced though every bush I tried it on. It is at least ten times faster than any other trimmer I have ever used. It is not too noisy and ear protection is not really necessary. It is quite heavy and requires two hands to use, but other than that it makes trimming a real pleasure. I am extremely pleased with this purchase and easily rate this 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cuts Great But Lefty's Beware, July 9, 2013
My wife got me this for Father's Day to do some light to medium duty hedge trimming/shaping. I followed the directions to fuel and cold-start the engine, and it fired right up.

Positives:
+ Cuts clean. So far I've tested it up through about 3/4" branches without any resistance.

+ Comfortable grips, ergonomic placement of the fuel tank and choke.

+ Pretty fuel efficient

Negatives:
- Exhaust placement makes it easy to burn yourself if you are lefty (left hand on front handle, right hand on the trigger) and cut across your midline

- A little heavy; not horrible for most use, just when cutting at and above shoulder height

All in all it seems like a well made tool; I held back one star for the exhaust placement and to see how it holds up over time.