on March 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
What it looks like right after assembling it in my house, ignore the cables. ;)
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
I am absolutely thrilled with this item.

Furniture items at this price point tend to be cheaply made with extensive use of particle board, fiber board, vinyl woodgrain, etc. Not this item. The wood components are mostly solid wood. The bottom shelf may have a particle board core but it has a veneer of real wood. The metal parts are nicely coated. Put simply, the unit is very well made.

I had some concern about shipping an item with a lot of glass (i.e. the shelves) particularly since I am assigned overseas (the military postal system is rough on packages) but the parts were we well packaged and everything was received intact.

Assembly was straightforward. The instructions were quite adequate but I need to caution you have to pay careful attention to the diagrams. There are several pieces that can easily be placed 180 degrees out of position if you are not careful. Trust me on that; there were a couple steps I had to go back and redo. However, the end result was worth the effort.

The open design allows for good ventilation of electronics that run hot (especially amplifiers). I also like the cable management afforded by the back panel. The depth was adequate for my Pioneer AV receiver, but just barely. If you have a large amplifier/receiver, I recommend you verify dimensions (including room for cables in the back).

All in all, it's a high quality, attractive piece of furniture that will accommodate most electronic components and it comes at a great price.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 16, 2011
Verified Purchase
Purchased two of these. One for the bedroom HT/Stereo and a few weeks later, ordered one for the living room HT/Stereo as well. Looks great! The wood components, particularly the left and right pillars, have a rich mocha finish. The wood quality is great. The bottom board is wood-composite and has a rich veneer as well. Overall a great looking product. I have looked at everything from $80 to $800. Let me tell you, I think this product will give you the biggest bang for the buck. The more expensive items are IMHO overpriced and oversized. This is just the right size for all your black boxes: Most of these products at this price range are cheaply designed and manufactured, this one however, is an exception. Overall, a great budget item with no cheap finishing by any means. Looks great beside my Raymour and Flanigan entertainment cabinet in the living room.

However, there are a few things that you should note:
1. Both came in half-torn boxes. One had 2 minor dings on the left pillar and a small (really small) gash on the bottom board:( The gash is not visible once I put stuff on it. The dings are not visible unless you look really close. Both are minor issues and are not significant enough to send the product back. Frankly, I just don't have the time to repackage everthing and send it back. A few weeks later I ordered the second one, which came in an even poorer packaging but the components were intact. No issues with the second one, but I think thats by sheer luck. So my suggestion, please inspect everything carefully.
2. The glass I thought would be black or deep brown. Turned out, its just plain white. But hey, this thing costs way less.
3. Not much room at the back for banana plugs, if you have a big amp i.e.....like the Yamaha R-S700. My amp therefore sits a little too close to the front edge for my liking. Most Onkyo HT receivers will slide in nicely though, with enough space to spare for banana plugs at the back.
4. Agree with the other reviewers on assembling instructions. They are poor. But theres not that many items to pull together, so its not a big deal.

Hope this helps. Thanks for reading.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 8, 2012
Verified Purchase
Once I decided to go on the hunt to revamp my entire AV set up, I knew one of the first things to purchase was going to be a new AV rack. The one I had previously was along the lines of my previous AV set up: it suited my needs, but only barely. It could have used a little more style, and could've been a tad bit more sturdy. Plus, it didn't really match the décor in my room, which, as we all know, is a major offense. ;-)

Thus, I began my search, and came to the realization that AV racks are way too damn expensive!!!! People really pay upwards of three hundred dollars for these things? Man, that's insane. I knew I wasn't going to pay that price (I have bigger pieces of furniture that I paid that price for), and so it actually took me months to settle on the right AV rack.

The criteria for my new AV rack was A) needs to be open on the sides and back (components need to breathe), B)preferably with glass shelves (adds to the open feel), C)wire management in the back, D)wide enough space between shelves, E) at least 5 shelves, F)needs to match décor, G)not expensive in price.

I have to say that I'm amazed that this Poundex, a no-name brand, fit all those criteria.

DELIVERY

My package arrived in a box that was three times the actual size of the box that carried the item. A box within a box, with HUGE amounts of Styrofoam, wrapping, and the like. Needless to say, it arrived in perfect condition. No scratches, broken parts or flaws that others have complained about in their reviews. I think it took as much time getting all the parts out of the box, as it did assembling them.

ASSEMBLY

Okay, I will be the first to admit, that this rack is not the easiest to assemble. The manual that came with it is not very explicit. Still, it's not impossible to figure out, with time and patience. Fortunately I have both, but if you don't have either, I would suggest getting a friend or someone handy to either help you or do it for you. But even though I had both time, patience, and even some skill and experience with assembling furniture of this type, I still made a mistake, and had to disassemble it about a third of the way through and start again.

USAGE

My AV set up is as follows:

Bottom shelf = Panamax surge protector
Second shelf = Sony CD player
Middle shelf = Sony AV receiver
Fourth shelf = Sony Blu-Ray player, and AT&T DVR
Top shelf = Center channel speaker, and Sony I-pod dock

I love the style and color of this rack. It blends perfectly with my bedroom set up. Everything fits seamlessly into its respective shelf with enough space to hook up wires. Also, the wire management in the back of the rack is perfect; the slots through the metal mesh panel in the back hide all the wiring in a neat, organized fashion. The slots themselves are wide enough to fit heavy guage HDMI cables, AC plugs, speaker wire and the like, without the wires being cramped at all.

I also love the fact that this rack has small legs; this is especially useful to me, since my sub and rear surround speakers are on the opposite side of the room from the rack itself, so I am able to run the wires to those speakers underneath the rack and under the area rug that the rack sits on. So I guess you could say that the wire management extends from the back to the bottom of the rack.

Also, other reviewers here have complained that they couldn't fit their components straight in from the front; they had to fit them in from the sides. Not sure what they meant by that; my components went straight in from the front with no issues. Don't know what sort of AV equipment they have, but this rack (as are most, as I've researched) is designed to fit the average AV component, which usually measures about 17 inches wide. I took note of the measurements during my research of this rack prior to buying it, so I knew that all my equipment would fit beforehand. Either they assembled theirs wrong, or they are using some heavy duty AV equipment that this rack is probably not suited for. Either way, that's not a flaw on the part of this rack.

Also, others have complained about this rack being "wobbly" or not sturdy. I have to say that I couldn't disagree more with that assertion. Mine is amazingly sturdy, and whenever I happen to brush against it while walking by, or even when I'm cleaning the glass, it barely moves. Going back to what I'd said above, if this rack is wobbly for you, you either A) did not assemble it correctly or fully (perhaps the screws need to be tightened more?), or B) it's even quite possible that they might have too much/heavy/the wrong kind of equipment on it, especially if they complained that they had to fit their equipment through the sides of the rack, instead of the front.

I dunno, all's I'm sayin', is that mine is as close to perfect as an AV rack can get in this price range.

But overall, I'm extremely happy to have found this rack, and for the price that I found it for. Just goes to show, sometimes quality does exceed price. :-)
on January 31, 2011
Verified Purchase
This shelf is solid and well made. The directions to put it together can be a little vague and confusing, but there aren't that many parts, so it was somewhat easy to figure out and went together quickly. The wood frame is nice and blends in with other furniture nicely.
on January 18, 2013
Verified Purchase
This is my first review!

I really like the color which is a dark brown shade- perfect for my existing furniture. The assembly is straight forward, you just have to take your time and lay out the pieces prior to assembly. I currently have 3 shelves occupied with a Sony receiver, a Monster Power Center, and a Dish Receiver. The fourth shelf is a PS3 alongside a vertical Mac Mini. Each shelf has a hole to route wires which is covered by a mesh screen. Unfortunately this lets you see the wires from the front of the system. I'm not sure if someone posted but here's the measurement for the shelves: 15.5" deep x 18.25 " wide x 8 3/8 tall. If your components fit within that range, than it will fit in the individual shelves. I have a hardwood floor so the stand feels really solid. I'm not sure if it would feel the same if it was on a carpet. I think someone else covered that.

Assembly Tips:
-My shelving came with all the required parts. I just needed a Philips and Flat head screwdriver
-It came pre-drilled and did NOT require me to break out my drill.
-There is some curvature in the front of the stand. When attaching the brackets, make sure they fit flush along this curve.
-Lay the pieces out and compare the parts to the drawing prior to assembly
-Keep the screws a little loose until assembly is completed. Finish tightening all the screws when assembly is complete.

Hope that helps!
on September 27, 2011
This Audio tower is GREAT!.... i love it
Cheap, Sturdy, and Looks great.
Matched perfectly with my other living room furniture.
Took me about 25min to put together...instructions are plane but common sence would make up for what the instructions lack.
Recived it with all the parts.
If ya have a hard time putting it together.go back a step and loosen the screws so you can move foward and put the whole frame together....then tighten the screws when frame is together.
I had to do that because some holes were off by a few centimeters...But after all said in done it came out Great.
I would deff recommend this item.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2010
Verified Purchase
I bought this media cart to go beside my fireplace after I had my tv mounted above the fireplace. I like the deep chocolate color and it went very nice with my other furniture. There was plenty of space for my home theater dvd player and the cable box. It was slightly tricky to put together but all pieces were there and the directions were moderately simple.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 18, 2013
Verified Purchase
It's been holding my 55" LED 55 lb TV for a couple months now. No creaking, no cracking, no worries. They look great together.
on February 20, 2013
Verified Purchase
The product looks great and was advertised. Packaging was vary stable and wouldn't have a concern of the product being damaged. Will likely purchase another stand to put in another room.

The directions were a little difficult to use but with few required parts a beginner will be able to assemble without problems. I have not added componets to the stand yet but with the added weight it will be pretty sturdy. Note this is not a product that you will want to move after adding your componets to it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...