4.0 out of 5 stars Carole Lombard, the ultimate comedienne
Published on January 17, 2011 by Ilse Fontaine

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Picture Quality
The picture on all four movies is washed out, no contrast, no sharpness. Sometimes the picture is slightly blurry. The color, on the two movies that are in color, is faded. The movies are obviously poorly done copies. I have seen much better picture quality produced in the silent movie era.

The company putting this junk out is pop-flix, it is a division of...
Published on January 12, 2011 by Sheikh Yerboudy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Picture Quality, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Powell & Lombard: Comedy Collection (DVD)

The company putting this junk out is pop-flix, it is a division of Allegro Corporation. I advise to steer clear of their products.

4.0 out of 5 stars Carole Lombard, the ultimate comedienne, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Powell & Lombard: Comedy Collection (DVD)
When I received this in the mail, it came scratched and the disc didn't read very well so I had to return it. Having said that, the movies included in the collection are all wonderful, especially My Man Godfrey (I'm a longtime fan of this classic). It's a good price for four movies, but it is a shame that both the sound and picture quality are dreadful. Look elsewhere if you want to be able to understand what the actors are saying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good movies but......., June 14, 2010
Wally Fay (New York City) - See all my reviews
Disc 2 contains "Life with Father" & "My Man Godfrey" both
of which are excellent. Unfortunately, Disc 1 does not play
on my DVD player,although it plays on my computer. I'm
told that this is probably because the manufacturer used an
information/data disc instead of a DVD disc to be played on a DVD
player. Amazon is willing to exchange it but for $6.98 it's not
worth the trouble.

1.0 out of 5 stars I want my money back, December 16, 2012
This review is from: Powell & Lombard: Comedy Collection (DVD)
I can't believe I waited 3 months to view this movie set. It it absolutely terrible. All the films are of horrible quality. I honestly can't believe I paid for this set. The movies have bad sound and look as though they were recorded off the tv in the 90's. The picture quality is worse than if it were playing on tv. Blurry, grainy. I wish I could get my money back. What a waste. I wouldn't even feel honest selling this piece of junk to someone else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Unwatchable!!, May 27, 2012
This review is from: Powell & Lombard: Comedy Collection (DVD)
While all four of these films are classic comedy gems, especially "My Man Godfrey" (which is my personal favourite), this set is overwhelmingly lackluster and, as previously stated, unwatchable. The sound and picture quality is horrendous. For boasting that the films have been "digitally re-mastered" all four look as though they have been directly ripped from a VHS. The sound quality is crackled and hard to hear at times- despite the DVD cover also boasting that the sound has been "enhanced". For the color films "Nothing Sacred" and "Life with Father"- the color is completely washed out to the point that you wish both films was in black and white.

If you are looking for any of these four films by themselves, go elsewhere! This set is not worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal for 4 great movies!, March 4, 2010
THIS SET CONTAINS:
over 6 hours of movies of 2 dvds & great movies too for less than $7!

(Made For Each Other(1939)
1 hr 25 min, B&W
Starring: Carole Lombard, James Stewart, Charles Coburn; Director: John Cromwell
Synopsis:
Newlyweds John and Jane Mason are an idealistic couple whose marital commitment is challenged at every turn--mounting debt, a difficult mother-in-law, and a baby on the way. The birth of a son brings joy, but when he becomes seriously ill, the couple is forced to take drastic measures to save his life.

Nothing Sacred 1937
1 hr 15 min, COLOR
Starring: Carole Lombard, Fredric March; Director: William A. Wellman
Synopsis: A doctor has told Vermont native Helen that she is dying of radium poisoning, and her plight draws the attention of NY reporter Wally. But then, the doctor informs Helen that she isn't sick at all. She conceals the truth and is wined and dined by Wally. Once Helen finally confesses her secret, how will they handle the media circus they've created?

The Last Time I Saw Paris/Father's Little Dividend/Life With Father(1947)
1 hr 58 min, COLOR
Starring: William Powell, Irene Dunne, Elizabeth Taylor;
Director: Michael Curtiz
Based on a popular Broadway play by Howard Lindsay and Russell Crouse
Synopsis: this film explores family life in New York during the 1880s. Each scene is an amusing anecdote--for instance, the wife's desperate attempts to have her despotic husband baptized. or the father's awkward moments explaining the facts of life to his unimpressed son.

My Man Godfrey (1936) (also available as My Man Godfrey - Criterion Collection)
Synopsis:1 hr 35 min, B&W
Starring: William Powell, Carole Lombard;
Director: Gregory La Cava
Synopsis: This wacky comedy classic takes a stab at high society. A pretentious wealthy family adopts "Godfrey," a bum with a secretive past. Working as their butler, Godfrey becomes completely embroiled in their lives and soon takes charge. Later, he surprises the family with some shocking news.

There are over 6 hours of movies of 2 dvds & great movies too for less than $7!

Compare this to: Silver Screen Legends: Carole Lombard (Four-Disc Collector's Set) (Four-Disc Collector's Set) DVD which is approx $18 in which you get two of the same films MADE FOR EACH OTHER and NOTHING SACRED but on this different set the films are DVDRs made to order by amazon!

It should be pointed out that you also get The Racketeer (1929) a pre-code film that is notable for Pre-Code Hollywood collectors.
This collection alternatively also has Swing High, Swing Low (1937) (1937) The Film Carole made after My Man Godfrey - Criterion Collection.
This is the third Fred MacMurray/Carole Lombard film and is a bit more serious than Carole Lombard - The Glamour Collection: Hands Across the Table and Carole Lombard - The Glamour Collection: The Princess Comes Across.

Swing High, Swing Low is based off the original play "Burlesque" that ran on Broadway in the 1927-1928 season. The role that Carole Lombard plays: Barbara Stanwyck originated on Broadway (it brought her to Hollywood).

Note a nice performance by Dorothy Lamour. Also Anthony Quinn is in one of his earliest films.

This $7 dollar set is a better deal as you can easily pick up the other two films :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Good movies, very poor quality DVD, August 11, 2013
This review is from: Powell & Lombard: Comedy Collection (DVD)
The films are truly classics, It is just a shame that the quality of the video was so bad I should of returned them to Amazon. It is not even close to a poor VHS tape. I can more than recommend the films as they are good, but whom ever made these DVD's should be in court somewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars I was misled by the caption on the front., February 10, 2013
This review is from: Powell & Lombard: Comedy Collection (DVD)
I expected that all four movies would star both Carole Lombard and William Powell. Only one does. I already have copies of two of the movies in the collection. Surely this would disappoint any one who purchased the set

2.0 out of 5 stars Powell & Lombard: Comedy Collection, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Powell & Lombard: Comedy Collection (DVD)
The movies were great but the quality of the dvd was not. The dvd would get stuck before loading and would require several attempts to get the movie started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessential Screwball Comedy and drama at a Big Bargain!, December 13, 2011
Smrz "smrz" (Massachusetts,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Powell & Lombard: Comedy Collection (DVD)
What a Delight! I purchased this 2 dvd set specifically to get a good print of My Man Godfrey(1936), my favorite screwball comedy starring William Powell and Carole Lombard. The package is part of the POP FLIX franchise. The film received 6 Academy Award nominations. I was expecting another fair quality print of the film, especially considering the bargain price. I was quite surprised to see a very good print of the film which is a real delight and is especially poignant today considering the financial state of the USA. I watched the classic again last Thursday night on Turner Movie Classics. During his introduction, host Robert Osborne remarked that TCM was showing the film in a new pristine print! The print was excellent! I would rate it a 10. But the print from the dvd was at least an 8, which I was surprisingly delighted to see, especially in view of my past experiences in trying to find a good print. In addition to Godfrey, you also get Nothing Sacred(1937), with Lombard and Frederic March, which is a 5 star classic. Also, you receive Made For Each Other(1939), with Lombard and James Stewart, which is a 3 or 4 star film. To cap it off, you also receive Life With Father(1947), which starred Powell along with Irene Dunne and Elizabeth Taylor, and received 4 Academy Award Nominations. The film is in color and again, I would rate it at about an 8 out of 10. The film is utterly delightful and a real slice of Americana, exploring family life in New York City during the 1880's. I would highly recommend this 2 dvd set. These days, you would be hard pressed to find an equal bargain!! SMRZ!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›