on April 15, 2013
Verified Purchase
Installed this radio on a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500.

PROS: Everything! Easy install, easy interface, Bluetooth easy to connect and sync. The touch screen has a great response and load time.. Video has great picture. Has the right amount of ports for all the amps, video i/o, etc... Additional accessories are available which interest me greatly such as the portable dock, NAV unit and TV unit. backup camera is responsive. park brake bypass and reverse camera bypass easy to do.

CONS: the remote is a little slow on response but still great controls,. so far not too many complaints yet or cons

NOTES: the kit was well packed, screen protected, i bought a IPAD screen protector and cut it to size to protect the glass and it works great. grounded the park brake to watch DVD in motion. switch to camera so i can turn on off any time i wish not relying on reverse gear. The kit came with a flush mount frame and an extended frame to stick out from the dash approx. 1". It worked great on truck to clear my dash bezel. I will post a response video link soon. (For some cars the screen may block dash functions such as climate control etc, but it worked great for my dodge since nothing is blocked.)

OVERALL 5 of 5 stars, very impressed with my purchase.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
I ordered the 9.3 inch with the navigation. I am doing everything but the TV. I love this stereo. I am able to play songs via the bluetooth option on My Ipod. Just sync the two together and there you go. I did order the IC-3 cable to use my Ipod, but now after having this unit for a few months I realize that I do not need it other than charging my Ipod while the stereo plays. I also purchased the back up camera system with it, great buy for only 13 bucks. I have not used the AV option as of yet but I do know that you can hook up a game system and view it in the AV in screen. U do not have to install a microphone with this system either. There is a mic already installed in the face of the stereo. The sound quality is really good as well. The music does stop playing when you are on the phone. By the way I installed this in a 2003 Dodge Ram Regular cab. I am pushing two 10 inch pioneer speakers with one 2000 watt amp bridged. Before I installed this system I could not tell you what any of that last sentence meant. I am Cop by trade with little to know stereo knowledge. I was able to do the install by myself but lucky for me I have great friends that are always stopping by that had the knowledge and were willing to help. Other than that I learned from YOUTUBE how to install this system and take my dash out. I think that I will post a video on youtube myself at RelaxBez on youtube.com

Update: 1 year later stereo is still working great! You can watch videos while driving if you don't hook the wire. I said in the video that i was running it on a 1500 amp and 2 12 inch subs.... I am not it is still the two 10's and the 2000 watt amp. Sorry it's been a while since I looked at it. and the screen is a 9.3 not a 9.5 inch.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2013
Verified Purchase
I've had this piece of .... for two weeks now and I am ready to send it back to amazon. Here is my list of "issues"
1. navigation works most of the time (I have the navibox2). not sure if it's the navibox or head unit but I'm not going to pay for something that may not turn on when I need it. Nav features are basic, I know, "you get what you pay for". screen while using nav is sloooow. by the time it registers that the car is moving you may be turning already. In the setup it asks for @ sunrise/sunset times to adjust screen brightness but it doesn't seem to remember. just a few issues, not all.
Navigation = 2 stars
2. Ipod interface is terrible. I have an ipod 30gb video and the head unit refuses to play music by any category other than what it feels like playing. ipod video will not play at all. yes I do have the mandatory proprietary cable. I cannot turn off the random paly feature or the repeat feature. every time I try to play by album, artist, playlist or genre, the unit starts playing the 1st song on the ipod. after installation I noticed my ipod would be completely dead @2 hrs after the unit was shut off and the ipod left connected. I called "tech support" and was told my ipod battery must be bad. that's strange because I have a kenwood headunit in another vehicle and have left the ipod hooked up to that for days at a time with no battery drain on the ipod. I have been trying to contact "tech support" but no one is answering that extension right now.
Ipod = 0 stars
3. Radio reception is fair, I don't listen to the radio much but it seems there is more static than with the oem radio (Ram 1500, 2003)
Radio = 3 stars
4. Bluetooth is easy to connect to but the volume is very low from the speakers. Music streaming is a lengthy process and if you take a call during playback it will not reconnect the music.
Bluetooth = 2 stars
Screen is big and bright but all the connections are made to the screen unit itself. ipod and a/v on the side and mic for Bluetooth on the top. so when you want to take the screen off the head unit you have to disconnect all the cables, otherwise the screen won't fit into the pouch. seems like a lot of work just to run into the grocery store.
Screen = 4 stars
Overall I wanted to like this unit but it is too bothersome to get my music playing. If I can get tech support on the phone and he can resolve these issues I will update this accordingly
on May 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
This does everything that it said it would do. The only thing is that I ordered the Nav-Tech System 2 for this Head unit and have still not received it. I can only wait and see but if it is as good as this head unit I would rate this product 6 Stars!!!
on June 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
the screen is great, it handles well configurations, handsfree calls I can be very useful and pendrive or cellular content. It's great!
on March 24, 2013
Verified Purchase
I got this dvd\cd player for my truck (a 2000 ford expedition) an I love it. I've had it two weeks an so far so good. It blocks my heating controls but my hand is small so I can slide it up under there to adjust the heat or AC. If any thing goes wrong I will b sure to up date. Fingers crossed that I won't have to. Also ordered dash kit an it was a perfect fit. I would also like to add that if it wasn't for the positive reviewd I would never ordered this unit. Hope my review is helpful.
review image
on February 27, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this head unit to replace an old aftermarket radio in my Charger. I comes with 2 brackets and the wiring harness which was nice since my last head unit didn't. So far this thing works great. A little annoying that I have to plug my ipod cable and an aux cable into my iphone to get it to play on this thing but whatever. The blutooth works great for making calls. I did notice a little distortion in my speakers when playing music via bluetooth. Picture quality is better than expected ( when installing don't forget to ground your break wire(pink), or you will get warning sign over your movie picture. It says to wire it to your e-break but honestly who's going to do that). EQ options are very limited. You can adjust treble or bass...thats it. There is options to turn "x-bass" on and off and turn your loud restriction on and off. I havnt had it in long, I will update later with an updated review.
P.S. If you are thinking about calling Power acoustik to talk to the tech rep, dont. I dont know if this guy is the only one or I had the misfortune of talking to him both times but he is an ass. Very rude, and did not help answer my questions and all I asked was for the dimension of the screen to make sure it fits in my car. Thats if he feels like answering the phone.(wont take off for that)

UPDATE:
While this radio was good, it had its short comings. The unit doesnt dim very low for night time driving so I just covered it up at night and it blocked my climate controls. This wasnt a huge issue but after a while it got kind of annoying. my new score is 4 stars.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2012
Verified Purchase
It's amazing it grabs a lot of attention when cruising and car shows excellent quality will recommend a lot it's perfect
on October 25, 2012
Verified Purchase
Works great. Looks great. Haven't had any problems. Great buy. Also got dtv add on option. Vehicle can't move while watching tv because digital pic gets distorted.
on March 21, 2013
Verified Purchase
UPDATE: THE UNIT HAS FAILED and the company tech support never answers the phone (on the numerous times I have attempted to call them) and leaving a message is worthless. I have also emailed them but again, no response. I fired up the car one day and the radio and any audio option was not available anymore. I don't have any idea why. I checked the wiring and didn't see any issues. It seems the software kind of crashed into some weird state or something. Maybe the amplifier went out and the unit knows audio isn't working anymore so it doesn't provide those options. I have no idea. But with no support, it looks like I've just got a big paperweight on my hands. Obviously, I'm lowering my original 3 star review to 1 star.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: This is a good head unit if you can benefit from or just must have this form factor -- giving you the big screen while only taking the space in the dash of a "regular" radio. If you can fit a "double din" radio or the flip up screen type in your car, there are better radios out there for the money. Still, some people will think the big screen on this is going to impress friends and will ignore all the shortcomings of the unit. So try to understand that when reading other reviews with 4 or 5 star ratings. This is NOT anywhere close to a pioneer or alpine unit on amazon that has 4/5 star ratings.

I'm going to keep this unit because it fits well in my truck and I wouldn't have built in nav or a backup camera otherwise (with a normal size radio). The flip up screen type would have blocked vents/controls so this is nice because it hangs down. I'm partial to larger screens as they are just easier to use vs the regular sized radios, even when filled with quirks like this unit. I would NOT be keeping the unit otherwise.

For example, every time you get in your car, this radio defaults to volume level "13" -- and tech support says this isn't a bug, it's a feature. "It is not a problem," they told me in email. "All of our radios are default to this volume. If you are using after market amps, then they are adjusted improperly." Umm, OK. This is just annoying and you will be constantly adjusting the volume.

Also, it won't display album art from an ipod/iphone. That's quite a bummer with such a large screen. It will play iPhone/iPad video but not on the iPhone5 from what I have read. You will do without other features like HD Radio and station/song information in radio broadcasts. There is no built in provision for XM/Sirius either but you can use some of the generic kits to add it one way or another -- it just won't be as clean and integrated as other units.

Another quirky example on the interface is the number of button presses it takes to get features such as bluetooth streaming mode. Seems like my Pioneer is much better in this regard... I think that I can just start playing something on the iPhone and send it to the car and the dash unit responds and plays. With this unit, not only do you have to go to the home screen and browse to find bluetooth mode... you then enter the mode, and then you have to hit the music tab, and then you have to start the music on your iphone/ipod/etc if you have not already.

One feature I do like is the auto-program feature of the radio. I have this unit in my travel trailer tow vehicle so I often am driving through different areas. This feature will fill up all the radio presets with the strongest stations where you currently are located.

I am also looking forward to using the navigation on this huge screen. But unfortunately, the navibox-2 unit that is required seems to be out of stock everywhere. I fear that when in nav mode, I won't be able to listen to music as when I currently press that button (without having the optional box) the music cuts off. I'm guessing it is going to work that way when I have the box installed too.

I will also be "hacking" this unit to try to hook up a rear view camera that I can have enabled while driving. Unfortunately, there is no built in feature to have the rear camera on while driving, so I am going to hook up a switch to the backup wire to be able to manually flip on the camera. Hopefully the music will continue playing in this mode otherwise it will be far less useful/appealing to me (as I expect will be the case with the GPS).

Note that the same unit is sold under the Fahrenheit and Soundstream brands. Just search Amazon or Google for 931nb and you will find them. They don't seem to be any different except for slight nuances in the user interfaces (nothing major, just a different "style" in buttons and such).

Overall, this is a pretty nice unit for the money, and the form factor/screen size is unique at any price. But it has many, many quirks and drawbacks compared to better radios so I highly suggest looking for something else unless the screen setup and the way it hangs down offers overwhelming advantages to you.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations