Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
The Power of Adversity: Tough Times Can Make You Stronger, Wiser, and Better Hardcover – April 25, 2008
|New from||Used from|
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
"Al Weatherhead's Power of Adversity has changed my response to daily bumps in the road and major catastrophic events. I will appreciate each challenge, and accept it as a gift to face my own shortcomings. So much of our suffering is the result of our own negativity. His wisdom helps me find solutions I never dreamed were possible." --Margaret Roche, CEO, Stella Maris, Inc.
"Al Weatherhead's personal journey from hardship and despair to strength and positive thinking and action is truly inspirational. This remarkable book is a 'must' read for anyone facing adversity because it is a message of hope and a practical guide to leading a positive and fulfilling life." --Scott Cowen, President, Tulane University
"An arresting personal story that shows how to turn misfortune into its opposite by thinking--and acting--in circles wider than oneself." --Carol Gluck, Columbia University
"Overcoming adversity is no easy feat. From Al Weatherhead's perspective, adversity is simply another way of spelling opportunity. For anyone searching for a philosophy for life based on real world experience, this is the book to read. Embrace the author's approach and you will have taken a major step toward transforming the quality of your life." --Roger Cheever
"The Power of Adversity is a courageous book in which legendary businessman and philanthropist Al Weatherhead describes how adversity--properly understood--can be a catalyst for powerful and meaningful personal transformation. Read it and be inspired--for yourself and for someone you love. Highly recommended." --Dean Ornish, MD, Founder and President, Preventive Medicine Research Institute, Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, author, The Spectrum and Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease
About the Author
Al Weatherhead, chairman and CEO of Weatherhead Industries, endured wrenching family estrangement, serious arthritis and heart disease, and is a recovering alcoholic. Instead of surrendering to his adversity, he came to see it as a blessed enemy and leveraged it to achieve extraordinary personal and professional success. He lives with his wife in Cleveland, Ohio.
Top Customer Reviews
1. We’re not meant to be happy……we’re meant to grow
2. Positive thinking is imperative
3. You are not at the center of the universe
4. Instead of why me?.....why not me?
5. It is luckier to earn than to receive
6. Be self-ish and put yourself first, by putting yourself last
7. Never think I have to do it. Instead, think I have it to do.
8. I suffer passes….I suffered never passes…A blade remains tempered long after the fire that scorched it has faded away
9. Cultivate the seven self-ish virtues of modesty, gratitude, courtesy, self-control, compassion, perseverance, and indomitable spirit to conquer your adversity
10. Adversity creates walls…when you tear down those walls you create spectacular vistas of self-potential
11. Leverage sweat equity built up by surviving previous trouble to help master current adversity
12. Adversity always grants a chance to creatively resolve the problem
13. Running away never helps
14. Overcoming adversity requires the right attitude..…meditation…..communication..…and sharing
15. Have the right idea about money. Success isn’t just possessions and power
16. Practice responsibility, loyalty, consideration – the magic formula that is the secret to life
17. Always get the facts….real facts, not the imagined ones
18. Treat time as your most valuable resource
19. Get perspective through acts of charity to others
20. Adversity provides the only real opportunity to make an incredible difference in your life and in the world
21. Come to see problem solving as one of the great joys of life
22. There is always a great idea lurking in adversity…Will you find it?
.Read more ›
This is not a Christian book, though it reveals how using the wisdom principles of the Bible to begin to view the many hard times of your life to your benefit.
It includes one interesting view on the story of the fall of mankind found in Genesis stating that because of the fall, mankind would suffer adversity. In it's basic form, this is quite true (though there is much more to say about the fall.)
Reading this book reminded me of an instruction I gave my sons during their `growing' years. I tried to convey them three principles for life: 1) Know where to go when you find yourself in trouble - God; 2) The concept of `delayed gratification'; and 3)As a child of God - all events in their lives were covered under Romans 8:28, meaning no matter the problem - God would work it to their favor.
This book would fall under the latter of the three instructions. It provides good instruction on how to view adversity and offers the authors real life testimony as a witness.
Al Weatherhead's life story is woven throughout the book with instruction to the reader of how the many adverse events in his life reshaped his perspective.
Written in a very fast paced, non-stop fashion, this book is a shot in the arm for those who may be walking under the `why me' cloud. I would recommend it for anyone needing a jolt in their thought pattern.
The review copy of this book was provided free of charge by the author and was donated to the library of Westwood Baptist Church.
Reviewed by: Keiki Hendrix
Reviewed for: Al Weatherhead