Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Power Friending: Demystifying Social Media to Grow Your Business
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on June 28, 2010
I own a small business that relies on referral & word of mouth. I'm a geek but personally have stayed away from all social networking sites. About 4 months ago I gave in & decided the biz needs to be on the social sites, problem is I have no clue what I'm doing there. My Facebook Fan page has had no hits in 3 months but my mom.

This book is not only my new bible for my business social stuff but explains the bigger picture in a way that allows you to easily grasp the smaller details & be able to make connections for yourself. So many books just give the directions with no oversight of how it works on the inside both technically & personally.

I also appreciate the writing. It's fun & doesn't bog down seeing that this subject could be a snore. I like seeing her examples and the fact that they really worked for her makes me more willing to drink the coolaid. She's great at telling you an entertaining story about her that actually explains what she just talked about.

The other thing I appreciated was the undertone of ethics & etiquette throughout. It was very clear on do's & don'ts so I don't look like a tool to my customers.

The best thing I got out of this book was how to view "my friends" & how to treat them. Made me realize that my social pages are not webpages but something much deeper that demands a different attitude to be successful.

Thanks Amber! (if you haven't seen her promo video for the book, do it. Parody on Dexter & its great!)
on June 20, 2010
This book presents a very approachable view of using social media as one part of your business and brand building strategy. Mac doesn't spend much time wowing you with the cool new tools, but digs in and presents a resource of why and how backed with a host of new tools for just about any approach you decided to take. I'm working my way through learning about some new tools and new approaches to using social media.

John Jantsch, author of The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
on June 29, 2010
Amber MacArthur is a beloved figure in the tech community. In "Power Friending," she has distilled her years of experience in Social Media into an approachable summary of the topic. Easy-to-read and jargon-free, Amber covers the history of social media, positive and negative examples, and gives practical advice about how you can use Social Media tools to improve your customer relations.
I recommend that anyone working in Social Media get copies for their clients.
It will get them up-to-speed so you can both get to work.
on March 13, 2011
I was hoping for more when I read this book. Perhaps I have seen and read enough about marketing and online influencing that this book had little to add. Moreover, I thought it wasn't even a very good beginners book because it tries to cover too much and offers little depth to anything. One is much better off watching Mixergy episodes or reading and studying Tim Ferriss as well as other bloggers than reading this book.
on July 10, 2010
Amber Mac is a seasoned veteran in the internet social media space. She is a media personality in North America and had done keynote speeches on Social Media for a wide variety of organizations. What she has done in this book is answered the W5 of Social Media Who,What,When,Where and Why. Her overview of the social media landscape is comprehensive and she provides a number of case studies throughout the book to illustrate her points.This is a How-To book that will allow you to grow your business or practice and prosper. A fun read also.
on May 16, 2011
TONY ROBBINS (yes, him, with the big smile) has gotten international accolades
for the way he uses twitter and social media. Where'd he learn that skill set?
Amber Mac.

This book, of ALL the books I've read on social media, is the most authentic, realistic
and understandable.

I am reading it for the third time and taking more notes.

Everything I've learned about customer service and marketing in my three decades of being
in business for myself... is mostly irrelevant. It's still true that honest, good value is what
sells. And that generosity leads any successful marketing endeavor. After that, most of
the rules have changed and are changing still. This book is helping me keep up.
on September 5, 2011
A terrific introduction to the power of social media. Amber gives you practical strategies to engage your target audience. The book clearly describes how social media can be a powerful tool in building your business or personal brand. Whether or not you like it, the power of social media is undeniable. Do yourself a favor and figure out how to use it - this book was a great help to me!
on April 9, 2011
Amber Mac's book is pretty good, but it's long on the stories of big wigs she's met and shorter on the practical "how to" side. I wish there was more on the practical specifics on how to go about using social media. She assumes a basic level of familiarity that a lot of us newbies just don't have. For example, she said to link all your accounts, but doesn't tell you how to do it step by step. I found Halligan & Shah's book, Inbound Marketing, to be more useful.
on July 19, 2010
I just finished this book to give me a better perspective on social media, and how to implement it with my small business (I own two inns on Prince Edward Island, Canada.) What I loved about it, was the tone. AmberMac is clearly passionate about this topic, and has a very thorough understanding of it. I thought it was super important that she mentioned how to properly shoot video or record podcasts, rather than just leaving it to the reader to figure it out.

Amber has clearly done her research to exemplify the many rules of social media, so that the reader can understand what works, and what doesn't. This book is a perfect read for anyone who wants to dive into the wonderful world of social media.

Thanks Ambermac!
on July 4, 2010
This an easy to understand book that not only covers what social media outlets are available today, but also how to use them effectively. This book is a must if you are just starting with social media, especially if you are going to use social media for brand awareness. Do not use social media to help promote your business without reading this book.