Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 18, 2012
This series was outstanding as my wife and I watched and enjoyed each episode on VH1 Classic, so this review would have been a 5 star if based upon content. I would have been MORE than willing to shell out a reasonable $25 or so for this series on standard DVD, but I refuse to even purchase it on DVD-R! Thank you to all who wrote reviews warning of this fact. I am very disappointed in all of the powers that have collaborated to allow such a good show/series to be produced on such an unacceptable and unprofessional medium of distribution to a paying public!

Shame on you VH1 and Amazon... two names that I usually hold in high regard and have much respect for!
on March 24, 2012
As far as the show it self goes, it is a very worthy attempt to link the decades of Hard Rock and Metal back to its roots, and while another reviewer is accurate about some bands being glossed over or maybe even left out, this show is an important aspect in keeping great music alive and in the public eye by way of television. Outside of "That Metal Show" and a few random live concerts here and there most of our Music Televsion channels have gone the way of reality shows or cartoons as a primary focus instead of showing videos and other related musical content. At one time we had MTV, MTV2, VH-1, and VH-1 Classic, not to mention Fuse and CMT all showing 24 hour a day musical content, and there was enough to keep the programming flowing on every channel. Music channels are meant for music fans to see shows with music content, it's that simple, and this series is full of great musical content and pretty accurate with its history of linking one decade to another. So why the "Buyer Beware?" This series is being produced on DVD-R which at one time was considered "Bootlegging" and prohibited from being sold on Amazon. With that said, yes you will get the whole series in one set, but should DVD-R and CD-R content be sold as a standard? If this becomes acceptable, you will never know what you are paying for until after you receive it unless you notice the small warning on the item page. Anyone can create DVD-R and CD-R versions of anything, and although Amazon was more than willing to offer a full refund when I received an item similar to this, it should not [in my opinion] be acceptable to sell such items to the unsuspecting public on such a trusted site. This show deserves real DVD release treatment as do other items created with this technology such as "Legend of The Superheroes" [an old Adam West show featuring his return as Batman] as well as Ringo Starr's "Stop and Smell the Roses." So summing it up, a great show that is worth a look, but released on sub-standard technology that should not be acceptable to a buyer spending top dollar to purchase it.
55 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2012
Content wise this 3 DVD set is great, but because it's a burn and not the real deal there are all sorts of glitches with it - sound and picture wise.

There's no reason this couldn't have been a bluray release with killer picture and sound.

I am watching it now and there are some sound glitches as well as picture glitches.

Not cool.
66 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2012
I'm shocked to read reviews here about the US release of Metal Evolution being on poor-quality, glitch-ridden DVD-rs, not because (with all these no frills "archive collection" releases popping up) it seems so unusual or shocking, but because up here in Canada, we're being sold a much higher quality product for roughly the same price. The Canadian Metal Evolution comes on what sure look to me to be proper DVDs; they play just fine, with no glitches, either audio or video; there are no disclaimers anywhere on the packaging or the DVD labels about them being DVD-rs, with the words "DVD" appearing on each of the 3 discs, not "DVD-r"; they have properly printed labels; and even the case itself looks to be higher quality - an attractive metal box with very different artwork from what I see on the US box. There are still some disappointments with the set, like the complete lack of extras, but with 8-odd hours of Sam Dunn doing his thing, I guess that might be a bit greedy of me. There are still some minor disappointments with the series, which I hope will be remedied in subsequent episodes (because I'd love chapters on sludge, doom, death metal, black metal, Viking metal, folk metal, grindcore, and other genres not touched on here; there's almost no mention of Motorhead and no treatment at all of the Blue Oyster Cult, two important bands to the genre; and much more could be said about the tensions between punks and metalheads - an episode on hardcore and crossover would be more than warranted). Still, what IS here is consistently revealing and entertaining, particularly when Dunn holds his nose and ventures into genres (glam metal, nu metal, power metal) that he has some disdain for. Anyhow, those of you raging at being sold crappy DVDrs or holding out for a better release might want to see if Amazon Canada will ship to the USA, because we definitely have the better release of this. Maybe Dunn and McFadyen being Canadian has something to do with that?
on April 3, 2012
I have to say that, like most comments here, I am VERY disappointed with the quality of the release. I'll echo what others have said regarding how this should have been a BLU RAY release with scores of additional footage and performances.

I will, however, disagree with some of the sentiment that Sam Dunn has "jumped the shark" on this program. You simply can't have an in-depth documentary on the evolution of Metal and all it's subgenres without a thorough examination of it's influences. The definition of metal is one that can certainly be debated and is definitely one that is clearly defined on an individual basis. Is Kiss metal?? Many would say no....many would say yes. Same for AC/DC...and so on.

That said, I have to say that the first season (it implies there will be more to come) did a pretty good job. Of COURSE King Crimson, Rush, Genesis, and Yes aren't "metal"...yet much of today's metal bands (such as Mastodon) would firmly acknowledge the influence of such bands in their overall arrangements, time changes, and dynamics. You wouldn't have a Dream Theater, Mastodon, and any number of prog/power metal acts without those earlier bands...hence Dunn's tip of the hat.

Metal didn't really start with Sabbath and Zeppelin. Those bands were the next logical stage of rock. Something slightly heavier than those who came before them. Look at The Who, the MC5, Blue Cheer, etc....That's why the show is called METAL EVOLUTION.

The only episode I thought seemed out of place here was Grunge. Grunge was the bastard child of indie rock, alternative, and punk. It wasn't at all any kind of metal and I can't really see it as an influence in today's metal. If it were..then it would be relevant. It's only footnote in the history of metal is that it definitely put a stop to the ridiculousness of the 80's hair scene where everyone and their mother, if from LA, got a record deal. Grunge didn't kill metal....Over saturation and hair spray just sent it underground for a while. If anyone could be remotely considered "metal" in the grunge scene, I'd have to give that to Alice In Chains...and they will always be the ONE standout in that whole scene IMO.

The long and short of it is...Sam Dunn didn't disappoint me at all and I think there's a lot more to be said in future episodes. Personally, I can't wait to see full episodes on...

1) Norway's Black Metal scene
2) The Gothenburg scene (In Flames, Soilwork, etc)
3) Japan's Visual Kei (despite the makeup and theatrics..some really SOLID metal there)
4) The festival scene

Metal is ever evolving and has highs and lows, but it's always there and ever unifying. Thanks, Sam and Scott!!!
55 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2012
You have got to be kidding me... This gets a DVD-R release.... Pathetic!!! How about releasing this on Blu-Ray with tons of footage that didn't make the broadcast episodes???
on April 21, 2012
I was going to buy this until I read the reviews. A DVD-R release ? I won't buy this. This was a great documentary and deserves a better quality release.
on May 22, 2012
I will not pay $20 for three burn DVD's. I will wait until there is an actual release for this series; it deserves better than this.
on May 8, 2012
When this series was on TV a few months ago, I went out of my way to watch as little as possible, preferring to instead wait for the "inevitable" blu-ray release. What little I did see was quite good, so I was really looking forward to it. (I was a big fan of Sam's Headbanger's Journey doc a few years ago and this seems to be of the same caliber.)

I'm pretty disappointed to find that not only was this only given a DVD release rather than blu-ray, they had to add insult to injury and make it a DVD-R of even lower quality than usual. Well, VH1 Corp, or MTV Networks, or Viacom or whoever the hell owns the show, I'm not biting. If you want my money, then give me a proper release.

Good thing I read the reviews first, often I don't bother when it's something I already know I want. Thanks you guys.

EDIT Feb 26, 2013: Just noticed that they actually did go ahead with a blu-ray release a couple of months ago; good on 'em. Ordered. Will update again after watching.

EDIT Mar 4, 2013: The blu-ray version won't play on my PS3. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU--!!!!
on August 2, 2014
I guess true metal heads can much better assess this, but for someone like me who doesn't know a whole lot about the genre itself, it's very good as a "starter kit." My husband is a through and through metal head and added a lot of information for me with each episode, but he added that it did indeed cover the basics, which is what this essentially was meant to do. I have to say that I was really impressed with the depth of the first few episodes. The last few did not go nearly into the kind of depth that I would have liked, but this did spark my interest in finding out more. So all in all, I would say that this set accomplished its purpose in at least getting someone who had never been interested in the genre much more interested.