Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

The Power of Now is the Power of Self

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2008 11:24:19 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 26, 2015 10:42:41 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 10:14:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2011 10:18:33 PM PDT
Thomas Rivas says:
"The attainment of personal evolution, the harmonious orchestration of life for personal self-interest in each current moment of reality called "the now" is the opposite of sacrifice, of dependency, and is fueled by using reason, by asking yourself at each decision point: "Is this in my self-interest?" The power of self is the power of free thought, the power to move forward with reason and objectivity in everyday life."

Sounds like an Objectivist speaking. I have some experience with having tried to live that kind of rational, objectively self-interested life and I will tell you: it's not what it's cracked up to be, i.e., the solution to the human condition. OTC, it made me arrogant, self-righteous and pompous. It made me lacking creativity, empathy, kindness and cut me off from people and situations that I altogether relish now.

That kind of self-centeredness is diametrically opposed to the teachings of "The Power of Now". That kind of morality is what has resulted in the greed we hear about everyday in the news and in the material rapaciousness that is destroying the planet as I write. Rationalization for evil comes in many forms; one of the most deluded is the belief in self aggrandizement.

Asking one's self "Is this in my self-interest?" is a sure way to hide from one's self who that self might be. The power of reason is living dichotomously within the "ten thousand things". The power of the self has no need for reason; it just is. The power of the self "to move forward" is the ego's attempt to aggrandize itself in the future. The power of now is transcendent to all that. It has no time; it has no opposite.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 5:04:39 PM PDT
RONALD R. says:
Now Now...the power is not in the now but in the was. Fuzy wasy was a bear. Fuzy wasy had no hair fuzy wasy wasnt fuzy was he?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 5, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Power of Now
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle (Paperback - February 1, 2001)
4.5 out of 5 stars (4,089)