Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

on June 7, 2013
Just received mine yesterday. I was home for lunch so I installed it real quick and threw it on the charger. Came home from work and it was still charging, finished around 3.5 hours.

Started playing some games and low and behold about 5-10 minutes in the gamepad red battery light came on.. As per a previous review, I had installed it by twisting the wires to the left. I removed it and twisted the wires in the opposite direction, immediately got 4 bars back. And played for about 5 hours and still had 2 bars of battery. So it seems to be working for now. It appears to be an issue with the spades within the connector aren't making a decent connection. If it gives me any more problems I'll try a dab of OxGard on the contacts and see if that helps. Otherwise I'll give Nyko a call. The battery itself seems solid, it's just a connection issue. I also took a close look at the connectors and with a sewing needle, I gently and very carefully nudged each individual connector together so that it may have a slightly tighter fit with the posts inside the gamepad.

You don't know how awesome it is to have the gamepad last more than a couple hours. Hopefully Nyko resolves these minor issues. I feel it just needs a better contact material within the connector.

I notice the price on these is bouncing around alot. Don't pay more than $25..
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2013
Just like many of the reviewers of this product, I initially thought I received a dud. Out of the box, the battery charged for about 3 hours and I installed it into the Gamepad. Battery level indicator showed only 2 bars. It didn't last 1o minutes before shutting off. No low battery warning prior to this, so I turned the Gamepad ON once more and it did the same thing about 2 minutes later. I placed the Gamepad back on the charging dock and the "Charging" light came on as usual only to start acting erratically about 5 minutes into the charging cycle. At this point I was about to box it up and send it back, but I thought about it and the signs were pointing to a bad connection. I removed the Nyko battery from the Gamepad and inspected it, but everything looked fine to me. Before reinserting the Nyko battery back into the Gamepad, I wiggled the cables within the connector and then reseated the connector into the Gamepad repeatedly about 10 times. Turned ON the Gamepad and the battery level now showed full charge. I now have about 2.5 hours of issue free gaming on this battery and it's still at 75 percent. It seems that the problem lies somewhere in the connector. Perhaps there was a bit of corrosion on the contacts which the repeated reseating cleared up. I'm giving this battery 4 stars at this point deducting a star for the issues experienced at the beginning as this should be a plug and play item. I will update this review as I log more time on this battery.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2013
Hi Guys,

Before I talk about the performance of the battery I must cover the fact that the connector on here is what is causing all the issues for other people. The connectors seems to be poorly molded and the black (ground) wire was not wired right. It was loose and the connection would drop out. I've had issues with the battery reading full charge one minute then going down to one bar the next. Jiggle the controller, the thing turns off. Charge it for five hours, battery is only 1/4 charged. It all stems from this connector.

I did fix it though. I tried the wire twisting method and it did nothing. I ended up cutting the leads on my Nintendo brand battery, snipping the leads on the Nyko battery, and soldering the official batteries connector on the Nyko battery. After doing this I have had no issues at all and the battery usually lasts 10 hours.

Speaking of the life, this thing lasts quite a bit longer than the official battery. So much so that I've had it last more than 15 hours. That is brightness at three and low volume on the speakers. Overall the charge time is long, well over 5 hours. That's not a negative though. You probably won't be using it while it's charging.

Installation was fast (after soldering) and the long battery life is worth it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2013
I recieved a defective battery. It only held a charge for two hours. Tried all the tricks and stuff, still nothing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2013
I too was waiting for this product for months. After all the delays I'm starting to think that Nintendo was trying to stop them from making it until they release their official product.

Problem is the Nintendo one is only going to be 2500mAh and this Nyko one is 4000mAh. So I really would rather the Nyko one to work! Plus I was angry that Nintendo didn't just include the bigger battery from the beginning. How hard is it to get a battery that fits the socket it was designed for? They charged us a premium price for the Wii U and yet they can't spend a few extra cents to include the proper battery in our gamepads? They rather charge us an extra $25 on top of making us wait an entire year just to get it.

Enough complaining...

The NYKO battery charged for me and seems to last longer as advertised. So I don't have that issue like most people. Also people claiming the Nyko battery is the only one that needs to twist the wires really need to take a few seconds to look at the official battery.

The Nintendo battery twists the wires just the same, and if you even look at the diagram under the battery it tells you to twist the wires. So people need to observe a little before writing a review and blaming Nyko for things that aren't their fault.

The actual problem for me is while I'm playing the screen will just randomly shut off. I have to press the power button and it comes back on, and even returns to the screen I was last on.

I tried wiggling the power connector and it seems to stay on at the moment. Not sure if it will continue to work but I guess we'll see.
review image
on July 24, 2013
I read a bad review about this product and thought that it might be a one off thing; maybe the buyer just brought a defective battery. But I had the same experience. Battery didn't hold a charge and never fully charged. Just took it out of my Wii U controller and put the old one back in. Don't waste your money it's worthless.
on June 7, 2013
This battery definitely works as advertised, but it might not at first. First time I installed and charged it, the battery died after a measly 2 hours. Something was clearly wrong, so I decided to open it up and try twisting the connector in the opposite direction that I originally attempted (the connector needs to be twisted in order to plug in - oversight?). I instantly received 3 bars of battery back, allowing me to continue playing for another 6 or 7 hours. I've since tested it again, and it lasted another 8ish hours. The stock Nintendo battery lasted 4 hours if I was lucky, so I'm quite happy with the performance of the PowerPak.
However, I cannot ignore that something is wrong with the quality of this product's connector. The instructions and stock image of the PowerPak show a cable that doesn't even need to be twisted. There is something seriously wrong if the cables need to be oriented in a specific way in order for the product to work correctly. After discovering the twist fix, I posted my findings on NeoGAF, where two others reported that the fix worked for them as well. I see now that Amazon reviewers have found out about it too, so it seems to be a widespread issue with the battery.

In conclusion, it works as advertised after tinkering and I'm happy with it, but I do worry about the quality of the PowerPak.
on March 9, 2014
This is garbage. Save yourself frustration and buy the official extended battery direct from Nintendo. Nyko made nothing but lemons with these.
on November 24, 2013
I was excited that I could extend my battery life on my wii u gamepad but am sorely disappointed. It didn't even last half as long as the original battery. I asked for a exchange and they sent me another one. Same problem. Back to using the original battery. Maybe I just receive two defective batteries...idk. Buy if you can afford to lose the money you spent.
on October 16, 2013
I don't know what people are complaining about. Sure you DO have to twist the wire but so what? I played Wind Waker entirely on the Pad (volume all the way up and max brightness) for 3 hours last night and I still have 4 bars of battery life.