‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars THE PROBLEM: INFORMATION KNOWN BY THE MANUFACTURER, BUT NOT DISCLOSED IN THE USER'S MANUAL!, February 11, 2009
This review is from: Power On Board TrailTracker Sport Lantern Weather Radio by Vector
Used this about 4 months ago with no problem, then charged it up and stored inside on shelf for next use. Even with the push button charge indicator, it appeared to be ready-to-go. Wrong! During the recent power outage, only the LED's and radio worked. I tried to charge it, but it would not take, and the red, low-charge-status light never progressed to the amber, mid-charge or green, full-charge status. I removed the lead-acid battery and checked it with a multi-meter. There was only 2.6 volts on the 12vdc/3ah lead-acid battery. (confirmed at store that specializes in batteries). (THE LOW LIGHT LED's AND RADIO OPERATE OFF A SEPARATE BATTERY SOURCE AND FUNCTION WITHOUT THIS BATTERY) No suitable replacement could be sourced outside of Black & Decker (who bought out Vector in 2006) . I called Black & Decker's Tech Dept., and they stated that you CANNOT LET THE BATTERY RUN DOWN TO A NO-CHARGE CONDITION or the battery would lose its' ability to regain and maintain a charge! Furthermore, THERE IS NOTHING IN THE INSTRUCTION AND CARE MANUAL THAT ADDRESSES THIS! A replacement battery is obtainable only through Black & Decker at a cost of $[...] (+tax and whatever they charge for shipping). My nearest dealer is 40 miles away, (No dealer support in my metro area of +840,000?) Black & Decker now markets this unit, in its' corporate orange-black motif, as the PS50LSB Electomate 50 Plus. THE BOTTOM LINE: When you count on backup light/power source, at the very least, you need to have all the info on how to care and maintain the equipment, so that it's ready when you need it. Vector/B&D neglected to disclose all the information to accomplish this. IT IS A PORTABLE, FEATURED UNIT WITH THE POTENTIAL TO BE A HANDY, RESOURCEFUL PRODUCT, BUT RELIABILITY AND REPUTATION IS TAINTED BY UNWARRANTED EXPENSE TO THE CONSUMER DUE TO LACK OF DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION THAT IS REQUIRED TO CARE AND MAINTAIN. USING NON-STANDARD, PROPRIETARY BATTERY, WITH FINICKY PROPERTIES DIMINISHES THIS OTHERWISE WELL DESIGNED PRODUCT.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chris from Chicago, August 24, 2007
Sooo, disappointed! I have one of these from last Christmas and the main light won't work anymore, but before it quit working I had bought two more which I tested as soon as I got them home. Several months later the main lights won't come on and the LEDs aren't nearly bright enough as a stand alone light. This would be a cool lantern if it worked properly.

And yes, they were fully charge, I just charged them last week. Yesterday our power went out for 6 hours and the lanterns just didn't work.

Also, I had bought one of these for my sister last Christmas and her's never worked properly and she had to take it back. That's embarrassing as it was a gift.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great...For a month!!, December 26, 2007
At first I was very happy with the product. Brought it on a family camping trip. Using only LED's it lasted whole trip.
Took it out a few nights ago before a big storm to make sure it was charged. Bulb won't come on. Left it charging for ages but charge light always indicates it is very low...not enough for power bulb. Finally checked charge on battery and found only 3.5v came out.

Word of advice...save your reciept!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Main Light failed. Amazon shouldn't be selling, September 4, 2008
Main light never worked. Can't find a bulb source and manufacturer website. Amazon has really failed on this one.In an emergency, when you need light, it dowsn't work.

1.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this item in 2007 at Sam's Club. main florecent bulb did not work, I took it back and exchanged it., May 6, 2009
I bought the TrailTracker Sport Lantern and weather radio in 2007 at Sam's Club. I had exchange it because the florecent did not work. The second light it appeared to be OK. I stored it because I bought it only for home emergencies. Recently we had a power outage and had need of it.
I found that it did not work. I figured that the charge was low so I plugged in adapter. Left it on charge for at least 15 hours. Attempted to use it and the main light again did not work and the LED light was very dim. The dynamo would not charge it either. I decided to pull the battery pack out and charge it. It appeared to charge. I inserted the battery pack and the test light went back to the first red light. When I pulled the pack out slightly the LED lights got brighter and the radio worked fine but the main bulb again did not work. This item in theory would be a great if it worked. Black and Decker bought this company but I cannot find the Trail Tracker on its website. I wonder why?

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, June 11, 2009
We bought one as an emergency light/radio for our home. Worked great out of the box after we charged it. Six months later after a severe storm, we turned it on and nothing...
After the power at the house came back on we tried to charge it by leaving the unit plugged in for 15 hours. Dead as a doornail. This seems to be a common problem. I'm glad we didn't need this in a life or death situation. Don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars garbage, June 29, 2009
Tim S. Crom (lake elmo, mn United States) - See all my reviews
Rates less then 1 star, but Amazon requires you to pick at least 1. Poor battery. Main light non functional after first battery charge.
If you see it, keep your money in your pocket. Not bought @ Amazon, but Sam's club. Just get a decent flash light. This is just an over priced boat anchor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Clean heads, December 6, 2010
I was trying to find a replacement bulb for a light bulb that is supposed to never fail. Searched the internet to no avail. I finally removed the bulb and we cleaned the contacts. I put the latern back together. The light bulb works great now. Sorry to everyone who has had an issue with the latern. I like it a lot ... once we fixed the light bulb issue. It would be nice to know where to find a replacement bulb as my search did not bear any fruit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Light, November 26, 2008
I had puchased two of the TrailTracker lanterns for a kayaking trip, but the fluorescent tube on both of them failed after a couple days although the batteries were fully charged. These were exchanged for two other laterns but both of those failed also after a few days. My sister had purchased two of these and the main bulb quit working a week later. There should be a recall on this item.

2.0 out of 5 stars Different Problem, but Still A Problem, October 9, 2012
Power On Board TrailTracker Sport Lantern Weather Radio by Vector

Great idea, too bad it doesn't work. My problem is that my main light works but my LED lights do not. The removable battery does not seem to hold a charge very well. This lantern should be recalled. I am disappointed in Sam's Club and Black and Decker.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›