on October 22, 2008
I purchased this jeep for my son's 3rd birthday. It rides well on the grass, wet or dry. It also runs well on gravel and through a sand patch that we have in the yard. I was very surprised how long the battery lasts. I have read other power wheels reviews in which people say the battery does not last long. I would strongly disagree. If you charge it like the manual says, you shouldn't have any problems. We have had the jeep for a little over a month now and my son and I are extrememly pleased with it. I can't wait until my other son is big enough to ride in it with his brother. Highly recommended!!!!
on January 12, 2010
Verified Purchase
We bought my daughter this jeep for Christmas and are absolutely thrilled with it. My daughter is almost four and this jeep is the perfect size for her. Though she had only driven a power wheels once before in her life she took right to it having no problems with controlling, reversing or steering the vehicle. She has driven it on grass, pavement, gravel, even on a bumpy path through our woods with no problem at all. She has yet to get it stuck anywhere after driving over all types of terrain. You can lock the jeep so it will run no faster than 2.5 mph but my daughter prefers the higher speed of 5 mph so we have not bothered to so far.
The only headache with this jeep was purchasing it from Amazon. I purchased it from Amazon on cyber monday when they had a great deal on it but five days later (3 days before it was supposed to arrive at my house) I was told it was no longer in stock and would not receive it before Christmas. I checked online and found they were still selling the jeep but at a much higher price. When I asked why they weren't shipping me a jeep I was told I could reorder it and receive it before Christmas but pay the new higher price which was almost double what I had originally purchased it at. Over the course of a couple weeks I spent hours on the phone, with multiple people from customer service in order to get the jeep in time for Christmas at the original price I had bought it at. I was told so many different things by each person and had to constantly check the progress of my order since so many mistakes were made on my billing.
The jeep itself I love and I am so happy I bought it for my daughter. Amazon, however, I would be very leery of ever doing business with again.
on May 5, 2010
Verified Purchase
We bought this jeep from Amazon because of the great reviews, but it has been a COMPLETE DISASTER for us. If you have a small, suburban yard or plan to drive it on absolutely flat sidewalks, it might be fun. For us, it is no good at all, even with one 40 lb child.

We have 5 acres and a huge variety of terrain. We were fully prepared for it not to work on our slopes and inclines, but imagined that the area around the house that is flattish (just very gentle slopes where it has not been professionally graded) would be fine. Instead, it's been a total failure.

At first, we thought the car was defective since the engine kept dying. We took it in for repair twice, but they couldn't replicate the problem. The repair guy happened to have family near us and, when he was visiting, came over to see the jeep in (in)action. He insisted it should be able to handle the flattish areas of our yard and couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Fisher-Price, however, insists that the jeep is not defective and can only be driven on absolutely flat surfaces. Even the gentlest of slopes causes it to overheat, triggering a tripswitch that cuts the motor off for 30 seconds. My child rides for a minute or two, then it stops, then we wait 30 seconds, then he rides for another minute or two. They have now promised to call the authorized repair guy to inform him that the jeep will not work on anything but the flattest surface. They have also told us the repair guy was wrong to suggest it should work on our yard. I point this out only to show that even the authorized repairman was surprised and shocked that it would not work on our flattish (but not completely level) yard.

Final outcome, we have wasted $250. Look carefully at the area where you'll be using it. I always considered our front yard flat until our Jeep Rubicon taught me otherwise!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2008
We have owned this Jeep for about 3 weeks now. Both our little boys love it. Easy to drive and operate. It has held up well so far. The battery takes a long time to charge, but seems to last a good while if fully charged. Assembly was easy for those with minimal mechanical skills, it took us about 30 minutes to assemble.

The hard plastic wheels don't get very good traction on any surface. I sprayed the tires w/ a rubberized undercoating and it definitely helps, but wears off after several uses. I have seen traction bands for sale on ebay and other sites that mount on the tires to improve traction.

This toy is now offered w/ a real working radio. Wish we had know this, as the boys really liked that feature on their friends car.

Overall good toy so far. No major complaints.
on January 2, 2009
Verified Purchase
The Jeep looks great and feels sturdy. If your kids like cars, they will even play in the Jeep when the battery is charging. My main problem with the toy is that it seems like it is very hard for my almost 3 year old to steer. He understands the concept of steering since he rides other toys, but he cannot seem to get the Jeep wheel turned. Hopefully this will get better as he grows up. Also, consider where you will store this bad boy: it is BIG!
on January 18, 2009
I bought this for my almost 3 year old for Christmas. He absolutely loves it! The only issue is when it's only him in the vehicle (he weighs 35 lbs) the tires spin out. When his siblings come over and ride with him, it works like a charm. We only ride it on the grass, rocks, & sand. We don't live where he can ride it on pavement. But with the extra weight, it's not a problem.
Also, we have yet to charge the battery and it's been a month! Make sure you charge the battery for the recommended time before use and drain the whole thing before charging it again.
Happy Shopping!
on February 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
We bought this jeep for our youngest boy when he was 2 years 9 months. He's now 3 years and 2 months and has driven the jeep numerous times. Plenty of power for the driveway and sidewalks. We had a neighborhood party and he took all of his "girlfriends" for rides with no problem. It goes through the yard okay, but struggles in wet grass with the plastic wheels. Battery runs for a good amount of time. We charge it after it is obviously run down which seems to take 3-4 rides of 20-30 min each. Highly recommend if your kid is somewhat coordinated.

Update:
Our 3 year old still LOVES this Jeep and wants to ride it every day - even in the cold weather. However, we have had this Jeep for about 6 months and one issue which I read about in some other reviews has come up. The plastic tires have essentially worn out - they're so thin that in a relatively short amount of time, the plastic has worn down and the wheels are disintegrating. My son cannot drive the Jeep until we find replacement wheels. So, I've updated my "durability" rating to "ok" and probably would change to 2 star/don't like if it weren't for the fact my son does drive this very often. It's unfortunate that Mattel would use such poor quality wheels on what is otherwise a fine toy. If the replacement wheels are costly and/or difficult to replace, I'll most likely come back again to downgrade my ratings even further.
on November 22, 2009
Verified Purchase
Well it's been one year since we got the jeep and I thought I should write a review. I really rely on the reviews when I'm buying something so I wanted to start reviewing for everyone else.

The jeep has worked very well all year. At first it was kind of a bummer since we had tons of snow at Christmas and couldn't drive it much, the smooth wheels don't like snow or ice but run fine on all other surfaces. It does go all terrain at times and works fine, has good power. We did get a second battery at a discount store for a back up, that way we can always have one charged, but the original battery is still in full use. I can't speak as to how long one battery goes, just depends on how much they drive.

Overall good product, would by again and recommend to friends.
on December 27, 2010
Both my kids love their new Jeep. They fit fine together. My oldest is 5 years old and 44 inches tall. He fits fine now with his brother and probably will for a while.
We live in a very uneven area and we had no problem with the Jeep going up the incline. We went off road in dirt, rocks and tall grass as well. There they got stuck a few times but the grass was still a little wet.
I'm going to do the duck-tape trick for the wheels to make it even better with more grip.

We got a patio loveseat cover at Walmart for $15 to put over the Jeep so that it stays clean and dry. So far so good.
on January 2, 2011
Verified Purchase
My wife and I wanted to buy our grandsons, 3 and 5, a little electric car that was safe and both could ride, for Christmas. These are very popular with kids.

We first searched on dedicated sites and looked at Ferraris, BMWs, Mini-Coopers, you name it, there seems to be a toy that represents it. We were discouraged by high prices ($400 or more was not unusual) and few of them allowed a passenger. Then we went to a large and popular discount store and saw a toy Mustang for $250. Upon close inspection it looked like it was very poor quality, which made us wonder if all were like this.

Next stop Amazon. At the time (just before Xmas 2010) Amazon only had a couple of electric toy cars, if I recall correctly, and I do remember that it was the only electric car eligible for Amazon Prime (I am a Prime member). We were lucky! It seated two and was priced at only $250. Unsure about the quality, we took a chance and ordered it.

When it arrived my son-in-law and I unpacked it for assembly. It comes mostly assembled, electric drive-train, transmission and wheels already in place (thank goodness - that would have a hassle). Assembly consists of mostly adding external parts like the windshield, steering wheel and steering assembly, seats, decals, and so forth.

I was relieved to see that the toy was very, very sturdy. The body and wheels (tires) are made of durable, tough plastic (good thing too, the first journey attempted by my 5-year old grandson sent the Jeep head-on into a tree, on purpose I think). It is not thin and it is not flimsy at all. I look a close look at the two electric motors (one for each year wheel) and the gearbox/transmission (2 forward, 1 reverse) and they were mounted very solidly. The wiring harness looked like a wiring harness from an actual car. Most of all, though, I was delighted when I saw the battery. It is a large, heavy, sealed (important) traditional acid battery with a high quality charger. I know something about batteries and this is about the best you can do for a toy like this. (If you are not familiar with such batteries, there is pretty good chance that the alarm system for your home has this type of battery for a backup - and how often do you have to replace it)?

And the kids love it - absolutely love it. Its plastic wheels do not grip well on wet grass or any kind of slope. It works best on flat concrete or asphalt. (If you ever see a child climb into one of these things for the first time, it becomes clear rather quickly that they do not have clue about how a steering wheel works. That can be pretty funny and reminds us that children aren't born knowing how to steer).

This thing came in a huge box (4' by 2" by 2' or so) and was heavy. I ordered it on two-day delivery on Prime, free shipping!! Even though it was the week before Xmas, this monster box arrived on my porch within two days, no charge!! Yay Amazon!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations