5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 A Apple Crisp A Day Does...Something for You
Published on March 4, 2006 by M. Allen Greenbaum

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Kind of Strawberry
(NOTE: I think they may sometimes make slight revisions to the ingredients and/or nutritional analysis. You could compare my ingredient list to theirs as a way to check whether this review covers the exact same product on this page.)

Published on July 18, 2006 by M. Allen Greenbaum

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 A Apple Crisp A Day Does...Something for You, March 4, 2006
I make no claims to sports nutrition (or any nutrition for that matter)expertise, so I'll just call it a snack, and leave its place in your exercise program between you and your personal doctor/nutritionist/coach/guru. However, I will say that this is a much better than average tasting sports bar/snack (name your preference), free of the cardboad-ish and stale texture and barely identifiable aftertastes common to similar products.

While noone will compare this to a real apple crisp, this convenient food for those on the go has recognizable tastes of oats (this flavor and texture predominates), apple, and cinnamon, due in large part, I suspect, to the fact that it actually contains those ingredients! There are also raisins, cane and other sugars--including fructose from fruit juices-- giving it a sweet but not cloying (as they say at the wineries) taste. This company is known for its quality ingredients and generally consumer-friendly face; you can read more about them at powerbar.com. The company recommends consuming this with water to aid the absorption of the many added nutrients--this also gives one a more "full" feeling. One of the better tasting snacks of this type; I've listed nutritional information and ingredients (from the web site) below.

Nutritional Information:

*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

In one Serving Size (One Bar; total=65 grams), there are 240 calories and 35 calories from fat 35 (6% of DV). Total Fat=4grams (g) (6% of DV), which includes 0.5 grams of Saturated Fat (3%)and 0 g (as in none) Trans Fat. No Cholesterol and 140 mg of sodium (6%). Total Carbohydrates = 42g (14%), of which fiber is 5g (20%), and sugars, 20g. (Does anyone carbo-load anymore?). Protein 10g (16%)

Vitamins and Minerals:

Vitamin A (20%), Vitamin C (80%), Calcium (40%), Iron (25%), Vitamin E (80%), Thiamin (40%), Riboflavin (40%), Niacin (40%), Vitamin B6 (40%), Folate (80% Vitamin B12 (80%), Biotin (40%), Pantothenic Acid (80%), Phosphorus (20% Magnesium (20%), Zinc (20%), Copper (20%), Chromium (20%), Vitamin K (20%), Iodine (20%), Manganese (20%), Molybdenum (20%), Selenium (20%),

Ingredients:

Whole Oats, Brown Rice Syrup, Rice Crisps (Milled Rice, Sugar, Salt, Barley Malt), Dried Apples, Evaporated Cane Juice Syrup, Raisins, Roasted Soy Beans, Almond Butter, Honey, Pear and Grape Juice Concentrate, Brown Rice Flour, Soy Protein Isolate, Glycerin, Natural Flavors, Cinnamon, Nonfat Milk.

Possible Allergens: Contains milk, nut and soy ingredients. Made on equipment that also processed peanuts and wheat.

Salud!

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Kind of Strawberry, July 18, 2006

Perhaps the best thing that can be said about this flavor of Power Bar is that it fills you up, and it's not an unpleasant experience. Perhaps the one I tried had been sitting on the shelf for too long, but it definitely did not taste "fresh-picked," as touted on the Power Bar website. Instead, there was a suggestion of strawberry flavor despite the presence of large pieces of dried fruit. There was a nice taste of oat flakes--whole oats are the bar's main ingredient (see below). Alongside this flavor was a cardboard-like texture that definitely fills you up but that tastes tale and gummy.

That said, the power bar does fill you up, especially if you drink the suggested 8 glasses of water with it (they don't say over what time interval). There are 45 grams of carbs, of which 18 are sugar and 4 are fiber. I don't know what happened to the other 23 grams. In addition there are 4 grams of fat, 0.5 grams of which are saturated, 7 grams of protein, 240 calories (35 from fat), no cholesterol, and 80 mg of sodium. Those with nut allergies may want to know that the product is made on equipment that also processes peanuts and nuts. Nothing organic and a heavy reliance on vitamin additives may turn some people off to these, but they're a quick and filling portable snack.

INGREDIENTS: Whole Oats, Brown Rice Syrup, Dried Strawberries (Strawberries, Sugar, Rice Flour, Ascorbic Acid, Sunflower Oil), Rice Crisps (Milled Rice, Sugar, Salt, Barley Malt), Brown Rice Evaporated Cane Juice Syrup, Dried Cranberries (Sugar, Cranberries, Sunflower Oil), Roasted Soy Beans, Almond Butter, Honey, Pear and Grape Juice Concentrates, Soy Protein Isolate, Natural Flavors, Glycerin, Nonfat Dry Milk.

MINERALS and Percent Daily Value Based on 2,000 calorie diet:: 15% of calcium, phosphorus, (Calcium Phosphate), magnesium (Magnesium Carbonate), zinc (Zinc Gluconate), Iron (Ferrous Fumarate), and copper (Copper Gluconate).

VITAMINS: 100% of Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) and Vitamin E Acetate (100%). 50% of Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Pantothenic Acid (Calcium Pantothenate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), Folate (Folic Acid), Biotin, and Vitamin B12. 15% of of Phosphorus, Zinc, Copper, and Magnesium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Energy Bar Out There, November 4, 2006
If you are a fan of peanut butter and chocolate, than this bar is for you. I've tried a number of energy bars and they all suffer from one problem -- bland taste and usually end up leaving a gritty aftertaste in my mouth. Not so with PowerBar.

I make a PowerBar part of my regular morning routine. After trying a few of the other flavors I finally stumbled upon the peanut butter and chocolate chip and was "hooked". The flavor is just right and the crispness of the bar is not too hard, but firm enough to make you "feel" like you are eating a full meal. One bar will usually kill any cravings I have all throughout the morning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Bar When On A Diet, February 23, 2011
A huge part of my diet consists of eating bars; with 3 kids and running a few businesses, I have time issues. Until recently, I would grab a bar in between meals. Not too long ago, bars took on a whole new meaning in my life when I tried the "Cookie Diet."

For a couple of weeks, I was buying the cookies from "my Center". One day, out of curiosity I decided to take the ingredients of the diet cookie I was eating to the local Sprouts to see if there was a bar that had the same makeup. This was when I discovered the PowerBar Pure and Simple Roasted Peanut Butter bar. This bar was a true find: (1) the nutritional value matched the cookie almost exactly; (2) the bar was so much cheaper; and (3) the bar was so much better tasting than the cookie.

The Bar is light and tasty. I agree with the reviewer that said they need more flavors; I am not a fan of the Cranberry Oatmeal.

Not going to satisfy you like one of the more caloric bars but is great at taking care of you until your next meal.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoy these bars as a quick breakfast, July 1, 2014
Danny Mack (West Milford NJ) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy these bars as a quick breakfast, lunch, or pre-workout snack. I need something quick in the mornings and this does the trick. They fill me up better than other bars on the market and I am a big fan of the taste. I do eat alot of different meal and energy bars over the course of the week but I think these are my favorite. I have been using subscribe and save for several shipments and I have never had a problem with old or stale items. And Amazon seems to be much cheaper than buying individual bars at the grocery store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bars for on the go., November 20, 2013
These taste great and come in handy on long runs or hikes, when I want something solid. They are a little expensive compared to something like Nature Valley's bars, so I try to ration them out between other bars. I'm a fan of many of the PowerBar products, the gels, performance bars, and these simple energy bars. The Peanut Butter ones are pretty good, but not as good as these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, filling bar..., April 10, 2014
Frankly, I was worried about buying these on line because I have heard stories about getting expired food. However, these came in and were very fresh, so I am happy and would buy again.

The taste is good. But more importantly they are very filling, especially is you eat it with a full glass or water.
This is one of the most healthy bars available.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are yummy., September 22, 2013
I've been buying these energy bars for quite awhile and still love them. I carry some with me always, as I suffer from hypoglycemia and often need a quick bite to avoid the symptoms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tasty bars!, July 30, 2013
Cranberry flavor is an awesome taste!
it's perfect size as a quick / simple snack before or after physical activity.
I'd buy it again soon! Can't beat Amazon prices!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, July 25, 2013
Super yummy snack bars and lots of fiber. My daughter in law even liked them so I ordered her a box full. Nice cranberries that you can actually see and taste.