Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM

on September 26, 2007
This is a great product - quality and value are superb. Just a bit "bulky", but better than having 200 dumbbells in your home.

The only "imperfection" is that you have to be careful not to hit yourself in the face with the corners. I didn't hit, but you do have to be mindful when you do maneuvers around your head.
on May 15, 2009
The Power Block Classic 45 is a must have if you are doing the P90X Extreme Home Workout. Yes like with anything man made you will need to be careful but all the safety information is covered in the handout that comes with the blocks, I am amazed at people complaining about the pins and if it's not perfect this and that could happen, all was covered in the handout that came with the blocks, I was using a pair of end screw on dumb bells and you talk about a pain. Pause the DVD, unscrew the ends, and remove the weight, screw back on the ends, un-pause the DVD. So after that routine the power blocks are a gift from heaven, I work out on carpet and found it easy to roll the blocks on their side to change the weight, the pins go right in and it gives me a moment to do a little check, and I do this without pausing the DVD.
The power blocks appear to be a little pricey, especially if you're on a budget. It's mainly because you're paying for all the weight upfront, unlike with dumb bells where you buy a set and when you need more resistance you go out and buy other set, and keep repeating this process until you have spent double of what the power blocks cost, the main thing here is it wasn't all at one time, the buying was done over months even years.
I really can't tell you how much I enjoy doing P90X now with my Power Blocks. And in the end if you're looking at the power blocks you have made a decision to get in shape and you can't put a price on your health. Only a doctor can do that and trust me it gets expensive.
on January 25, 2014
I did a lot of research on dumbbells and I finally chose the PowerBlock classics...and I'm extremely happy I did!! They provide a ton of flexibility and are extremely easy to use. I purchased these while doing my second round of P90; they made the workout much more enjoyable. It's really quick and easy to switch between different weight amounts. Just slip the pins in and go. Plus, they feel solid the entire time.

As a note - you need to be a bit careful when slipping the pins in to change weight amounts. It's easy for the pins to go into different weight selectors; however, you'll know that you screwed up and you just do it right. Also, you need to put the weights onto a solid surface before selecting different weight amounts; it does not work well if you rest them directly on carpet.

These weights cost quite a bit, but they are well worth the investment. Paying for these to get/stay healthy is much cheaper than paying for pills, surgery and medical bills when you're sick.
on September 16, 2013
I've been using these for over 3 years now. Definitely the best option for someone who can't have or doesn't want a room full of dumbbells. It takes me less than 5 seconds to change weight. Much better than the other selectable dumbbells I have tried (especially the bowflex ones).
on November 9, 2013
I like to use free weights and workout on a regular basis. But I have two kids and I don't have a ton of space. These have been a really nice solution for me. I store them under the couch -- the kids aren't big enough to be able to pull them out. And in the evening, I can take them out, lift for 30 or 40 min, shove them back under, and that's it. I get a free weight workout in half an hour. There are a few draw backs. Sometimes the plastic adjusters are a little futsy. The nature of the handles make them a little awkward for some exercises. But I find this is not a huge deal at all. What these give me in terms of convenience and space efficiency have made them worth the somewhat stiff price tag. It's allowed me to lift weights on a fairly regular basis despite the dad schedule of my life -- one that could easily push exercise out of my regular routine.
on May 18, 2011
I'm a P90X graduate and I have to say that the most frustrating part of the experience (unrelated to the program, of course) was using my dumbbells which required unscrewing the ends and sliding new weights on. I am on a second program incorporating P90X, P90X+, and the One-on-Ones, and I have gotten much stronger since I began P90X; thus, I needed more weight and the variations I had could not provide that.

I received these PowerBlocks as a college graduation gift from my parents and I am happy to say that I no longer have to worry about taking minutes to switch out weights or about having enough weight to build more mass and strength. The weights require no assembly and are color-coded to help you switch weights fast, especially if you realize that you over or underestimated your strength. While initially the PBs may seem awkward to use, you adjust fast and realize that the multiple handles make for great variation in exercises. Every now and then, the magnetic clips which alter the weights can get stuck on different weight levels, but that is rare and never a safety issue for me.

Whether you are engaging in the P90X program or simply want a great-looking, organized weight system, the PowerBlock Classics will satisfy you and last for the long haul. BRING IT!
review image review image review image review image
on April 10, 2013
I got these to use with the P90X workouts, and they have given me exactly what I thought they would. They are reliable, compact and a great deal. Are they as convenient to use as a set of dumbbells? No,it does take a moment longer to switch the weight on these, and just picking up a different dumbbell is easier. However, other than this one issue, they are as good or better than traditional dumbbells.

I saw on PowerBlock''s website that they have expansion packs for these to increase the weight even further, and I'm looking into doing that as I do need more resistance on some exercises now that I've finished my first round of P90X, and these expansion packs are still a better deal than buying individual dumbbells.

The only other downside I could imagine for these is if you were planning on working out at the same time with someone else and sharing the dumbbells if you were not using the same weight. (e.g. a husband and wife working out together). Then a set of dumbbells has the advantage of having the weights not in use by one person being available to the other to use. I don't see that as a major issue for most people, but it could be for some.
on August 18, 2013
I have used my expanded sport 9.0 set religiously for about 7 years now and it's held up fine. Minimal wear and the only wear is seen on the finish of the iron; which is no big deal. These feel very comfortable in my hands, with no gloves required and the compact shape is easy to handle. Excellent for a home gym, but not for commercial use.

The expanded set will go up to 130lb apiece and pretty much every weight of dumbbell beneath that weight. That is amazing considering how much space a full set would take up vs this. I can get a great workout in using an adjustable bench with these. When I am done they will hideaway nicely taking up very little room.

This is not a perfect product though and has some flaws and one of them is regular maintenance. They require the user to keep the selector pins oiled so they slide in easy when you are selecting a weight. They also recommend regularly cleaning them and that can be time consuming, although I rarely do it.

***The most important thing to consider is that these can snag from the exposed pin side or the tether ropes on something. What I mean is the pins stick out one side of the dumbbell once they are in and can scratch or snag on something like your clothing, bench, etc if you aren't careful. It's happened to me a few times. I haven't looked very closely at the new design and if they improved on this or not. These are not dumbbells that can be thrown around like the octagon and fixed sets can, for obvious reasons. If you've ever seen someone throw down or drop the heavy dumbbells they just used, this is what I am referring to.

The new urethane coating set looks nice and I envy that a bit over my old painted iron set which is prone to scratch and show signs of wear.

This product is a wise choice for the person who enjoys an intense home workout, is tight on space, is not set on the traditional dumbbell design and is open to trying something different for the convenience that these bring. There is a reason I have held on to them for so many years and do not plan on getting rid of them...
on December 2, 2013
My husband and I got these because we use very different amounts of weight. These allow us that option without taking up a lot of space. We love them! They are just what we expected and are easy to use for all the muscle toning exercises we use them for. Great idea!
on April 29, 2013
I actually bought my pair from a physical store and not from Amazon. I had been looking for some adjustable dumbbells like these for a long time, and thought that I would like the Bowflex selecttech's instead. In the store there were the Bowflex and Powerblock weights on display right beside each other. The ones from Bowflex do look more sporty if that's the kind of thing you're looking for, but I was blown away by how much more comfortable, durable, and easier to change between weights the Powerblock seemed to be. Lets face it, the more mechanics that goes into making something means that there are more opportunities for something to go wrong by wear-and-tear or by being knocked around. I've heard that with the selecttechs you must be careful not to knock or drop them if you want them to last you a very long time because of the mechanics that goes into their gear system. With the Powerblock, however, you get traditional metal plates and a simple pinning system that keeps the weights in place without having to use gears. I also have smaller hands than most people, and the Powerblock is much easier for me to keep a grip on. To somebody who also might be looking at a picture of the Powerblock and think that they would restrict your wrist's range of motion (if you know what I mean), the truth is that they really don't! Again maybe this might be because my body frame is smaller than other people's, but my wrists still have all the range of motion they need to do a variety of exercises. So, get these - I believe you'll love them!