4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but not without faults
I wish I could give stars in halves; this product would get a solid 4.5 from me. Rounding up to a 5 would mean folks who aren't taking the time to read the review might assume that there's really no room for improvement, but there is.

Published on October 6, 2009 by ultraconsumer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not spectacular for the price
I also bought these for use with the ChaLean Extreme program, by Beachbody, which requires a lot of weight changes througout the workout. They work sufficiently for lifting and for basic exercises. The quick change option is really nice and there is a diverse amount of weights. I wouldn't call this the highest quality product though. They seem flimsy for being close to...
Published on May 27, 2009 by Jennifer Corum

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but not without faults, October 6, 2009
This review is from: PowerBlock SportBlock 2.4 Adjustable 3 to 24-Pounds per Dumbbell Set (Sports)

After reading this review you might think I work for Powerblock or something, but I don't. When you're spending between $150-400 on a set of "high performance" adjustable dumbbells, applying a bit of logic can go a long way for your satisfaction and safety.

***AREAS THAT COULD USE IMPROVEMENT***

To help counteract the perceived bias I might have, I'm gonna try something different; I'm going to start with the CONS of the Powerblocks.

1. The magnets in the selector pin could be stronger. As a safety measure, there are magnets in the pin that hold it against the bars on the side of the weight stack, reducing the chance of it slipping out during an exercise. This makes a lot of sense, but the magnets are pretty weak. During some pretty basic exercises the magnets will come lose and lose their hold. Now don't get freaked out -- it's not like the pin flies out and it's scary to work out (there is an elastic band acting as a backup safety also). I'm talking like millimeters here; I can see that the pin has moved just enough where you can tell the magnets aren't holding. Rather than a whole bunch of cheap magnets within the pin, two small high-quality earth magnets would give a better hold while still being pretty easy to remove.

2. The weight selection process can be a bit finicky on carpet or non-flat surfaces. Because there may be a bit of shift in the weight stack on carpet, sometimes it's tricky to stick the weight pin in correctly. I recommend leaving these weights on a hard surface while in use, or better yet get the sport tray/stand to accompany them.

3. The pin can be put in crooked across two different weights. If you're not paying attention (and you should be!), it's somewhat easy to put the pin in crooked so that it crosses two weights. You will probably notice this right away when you go to pick up the weight, and it's not that big of deal since the pin still holds onto the heavier weight, but possibly re-engineering the pin shape or something could help prevent this entirely.

****POWERBLOCK VS. THE COMPETITION****

Okay, now here's the part where you assume I work for Powerblock. Let me say that this set of dumbbells (and the Powerblock line in general) is a MUCH better choice than the SelectTechs (STs). While comparing these 24-pounders to the 52 pound SelectTech's isn't really fair simply for weight comparison reasons, I wanted to point out why I think this line is vastly superior:

1. The Bowflex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells (I'll call them STs) are the same width whether you pick up 5 pounds or 52.5 pounds. And by the way, they are WIDE -- about 16" each. Imagine doing curls with 5 pounds per hand and needing THIRTY TWO INCHES across to do it -- makes for an uncomfortable curl, especially for narrower people. The Powerblocks (PBs), on the other hand, are narrower and more compact the less weight you add. All the stuff you don't need is left on the floor, not in your hand.

2. The STs require you to turn TWO dials to appropriate number on each dumbbell. There are 15 different weight settings on the STs, so what if your next weight is on the opposite side of the dial? That's right, it will require EIGHT CLICKS PER SIDE OF EACH DUMBBELL to pick up the new weight. That means it takes between 4 (minimum) and 32 (maximum) clicks of the dial to change weights each time. And you can't just flick the dials, either. The PBs, on the other hand, require two moves no matter what weight you're selecting: pull the pin out, put the pin in. Period.

3. The STs, while far "cooler" looking, have a lot of plastic on them. Pick a set up at your local Sports Authority and see if you can tell how the weigh selector mechanism works. Then, consider how durable (and potentially unsafe) you think your $400 weights would be if you dropped them. The PBs are mostly metal, with the inner handle being the only thing that contains plastic, and it's not cheapo plastic either. If you drop them, I'm guessing they'd hold up fine, although I wouldn't recommend it.

4. With the STs you HAVE to have the base to set the handles back into due to the design of the product. If you didn't have a tray to hold all the weights that were left behind, it'd be a nightmare to put the handles back together and try and switch to another weight. In fact, I'd like to see someone try =) The PBs are self-contained, so they work fine without the stand. The weights that you don't pick up stay in a compact stack that won't move.

********CONCLUSION AND SUMMARY********

Aside from those gripes, I really enjoyed these Powerblocks. In fact, I grew out of them and traded up to the Sport 9.0 model (which I will review separately). If 24 pounds per arm is enough for your routine, it's an absolute no-brainer to pick these guys up. Note that Amazon has built in the shipping cost to the price of these dumbbells. (Edit 5/25/2012: I noticed today that Amazon is no longer including the shipping price in the cost. For 150 shipped free, these are a great deal! Edit 12/21/2012: Shipping cost of $34 is built in to the price again on Amazon. When this happens, try and find locally to save 20%!)

PROS
+ Much more compact than the competition
+ Quick weight changes to ANY weight
+ Well built/durable
+ Great price on the lower weight set (if 24 is all you need)

CONS
- Magnets in pin could be stronger
- Doesn't work quite as well on carpet
- Possible to put the pin in crooked if you're not paying attention

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adjustable dumbell set, January 1, 2009
Length:: 0:57 Mins

The power block dumbbells is my first adjustable dumbbell set i have bought. I love the size of it as i can store it just about anywhere and yet be able to lift weight anywhere from 6-24 pounds. The only problem with it as others have mentioned is that you might mess up getting the pin in straight to adjust the weights but it is easy to figure out when u have messed it up. Another annoying thing about the dumbbells set is while ur working out the plate hit each other and u hear an annoying clunking sound

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite adjustable dumbbells and the best of the PowerBlock series, August 31, 2007
I really like this product because it is compact and not as cumbersome as the larger sets. For most people, this will suit their needs and they can get an upgradable set later on. The small size allows almost everyone to perform conventional exercises with proper form. With the larger PowerBlocks, this is a concern because of added bulk and length.

The square shape of these dumbbells allows the manufacturer to put more weight in a smaller place. This makes these much smaller than other rounded adjustable dumbbells over the same weight range and increments.

From a safety perspective, I also think these are the safest and most rugged adjustable dumbbells. However, this does not mean that nothing can go wrong. You need to be conscious of inserting the pins straight across and the pin mechanism right side up so the magnets engage to hold the pins together. There is a also a backup elastic band to prevent a plate from falling, but this might not save you in an overhead triceps extension.

This product is rugged and well made. It is less likely to break then some other brands and the concept is simple behind how the adjustments work. In other words, there are less things to break or go wrong and I believe these can take a fairly hard fall and still be fine. I haven't dropped mine, but I base this assumption on the way they are designed and the quality of the materials and how they are put together.

I would definitely purchase these if you do circuit training and want to keep your pulse up. If you become serious, you can buy an expandable set over a larger range later. This is great entry point product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Christmas Gift I got this year...., January 18, 2008
Celeste (Annapolis, MD) - See all my reviews
My Fiancé bought me this set for Xmas and I absolutely love them. I live in a 1 bedroom condo and I was running out of room in my living room for all my dumbbells. I can already see me saving to get the next size up...which I'm sure I'll be needing before next year.

I have very small hands and the grips on these are just perfect to grasp them. Another thing I was worried about was placing them on my shoulders...they don't fit up there perfectly, but they don't fit up there uncomfortably either.

Another thing is they aren't incredibly cumbersome. When you get out of 20 pounders, the dumbbell ends become thick and big and hard for my little hands to grasp...not a problem with my powerblocks...Then ends are always easy to grasp and seem to stay the same size through the increments...which is perfect for my extra small hands.

I work out to Videos and have to pause the video in order to change the pin to a different weight, but it didn't take me long to get used to changing the pin into the correct increment and I'm getting faster with it all the time.

I've been slowly giving away my dumbbells because they just aren't needed anymore and I can't say enough about the powerblock...can't wait to buy my next set.

I'm thinking though that a stand would make changing increments easier...but for now...I'll make do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, April 27, 2008
I bought these dumbbells as a secondary set to the 5-50 lb. PowerBlocks I bought only a few weeks before. I liked the first product so much that I bought the lighter set so my husband and I can lift together.

These are extremely easy to use and surprisingly compact. I went to the fitness store and looked at these and the Selecttechs side by side and was astonished by the length of the Selecttechs. In my opinion, that product would not work for women due to how long the bar is to accommodate all the weights.

Though this system is a little oddly shaped (blocky) it is much more compact and thus easier to manipulate. True, it takes a little time to find a comfortable grip for a few exercises (such as things behind the head) but once you know what works for you the system makes lifting easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for P90X, but a little light for most people, February 8, 2009
Ted (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
I bought these to start the P90X program. Not being very athletic, I thought the 3-24 pound weights would be enough. They are solid and well designed. Changing weights is a snap. Although they were fine starting out, I realized that I would quickly outgrow these weights as I progressed through the workout series. 24 pounds seems like a lot of weight if you have not been lifiting before but after a few weeks you will wish you had more resistance on some exercises. I returned these and got the Powerblock Sport 5.0 that covers 5-50 pounds instead. They are both great products, vastly superior to the rubber bands for P90X (which are ok as a last resort, but free weights are much more challenging and provide a better workout). If you plan on doing less weight and more reps, then the 3-24 pound set may be appropriate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price and the safest!, September 3, 2007
I love the SportBlock. It is just the right size to do a variety of exercises and is relatively compact due to the square shape. These dumbbells are easy to manuever and the padded grips are comfortable. In my opinion, they are also the safest design of all the adjustable dumbbells and it is very easy to change weights.

The only issue with these blocks is that you have to be sure to insert the pin level and the pin assembly right side up. If you don't, while it is unlikely something will go wrong, it can. However, there is also an elastic safety mechanism just in case. This wouldn't help you in an overhead triceps press, but it's a very good design and a brief safety check before you do anything over your head will give you about as good a guarantee as you would get with any dumbbell used over the head.

Also, these things are rugged and the weight range is good for most people, especially if you use them along with a stability ball. A book that covers some workouts that is relatively inexpensive and well done is Weights on the Ball Workbook: Step-by-Step Guide with Over 350 Photos. If you handle heavier weights than this, then you may not want to work on a ball.

Also, eventually if you are serious about bodybuilding or putting on significant mass, you may want to upgrade to PowerBlock Personal Dumbbell Set or one of the similar products by the same manufacturer. Many people also like Bowflex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells, but I think PowerBlock is safer and a better value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of adjustable dumbbells, February 8, 2009
Anne (LOS ANGELES, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased these dumbbells fairly recently because I wanted to use them for Chalean Extreme (you can check out the program at Beachbody dot com). I've been lifting weights for several years, but have mostly been doing high-rep, low-weight workouts (to give you an idea, the heaviest dumbbells I owned were eight pounds).

Because I wanted a variety of weights and have very little room, I decided to get a set of adjustable dumbbells. I did quite a bit of research on all the various brands before I decided on the PowerBlocks.

So far, I am really pleased with my purchase! These dumbbells are easy to use, feel very balanced, and take up very little room. The only bad thing about them is that they're fairly expensive. However, if you add up the cost of buying a pair of dumbbells for eight different weights (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24 lbs), the price seems much more reasonable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good compromise, May 29, 2008
I've had these for a while now, and for the most part, I like them. They are a reasonable compromise between individual weight dumbbells and other, more expensive, adjustable weights. It's easy to select the desired weight and with a maximum of 24 pounds per dumbell, you can get a good amount of resistance for most common dumbbell exercise. The minor complaints I have are that they could have a bit more room between the rods that connect the weight discs, as my knuckles can sometime rub against them unless I hold it in just a certain way, and also it's not always easy to get the weight selector "thingie" in the right place. Other than that, a far less expensive option than Bowflex.

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable and easy to store, August 26, 2007
I have been using this dumbbell set for several months now, along with some more standard dumbbells and a Bowflex weight bench. While I prefer the feel of standard dumbbells, this set is very compact to store and it is very easy to adjust the weight for specific exercizes. I feel that they give me just as good a workout as any dumbbells I've used, even if they are a bit too bulky to use for wrist curls and other short range of motion exercizes. For the standard bicep curls, bench presses, overhead presses and the like, I highly reccomend.

PowerBlock SportBlock 2.4 Adjustable 3 to 24-Pounds per Dumbbell Set
$184.00
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.